It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a solar flare be the spark that created life on Earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
While the thought of a massive solar flare striking Earth, similar to the film "Knowing," is normally viewed as a horrific nightmare, one that some believe we might wake up to in 2012, I personally hope that it's more of an ascension or harvest type situation where it's moreso the electromagnetic radiation that somehow helps us evolve.

But what if before life began on Earth (besides that of the Earth, which is alive) an all-encompassing solar flare scorched the surface, and when the flare hit the water, life began?

The theory just sort of popped in my head, and I'm pretty sure I've never heard of such a theory. Which that could mean it's totally impossible, and that's why I'm seeing what y'all think about it.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by AliBruh]

[edit on 22-1-2010 by AliBruh]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Solar Flare's tend to wipe out life

But good question and I look forward to hearing from others .

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Wipe out or ignite?

Second line.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by AliBruh

Our magnetosphere usually helps block the effects of solar flares, however, solar flares are not as unusual or as rare as people think. If they do reach us, they usually knock out electrical grids and telecommunications.

I would really hate to think what would happened if our magnetosphere deteriorated and gave in on us

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Scooby Doo

We'd have to empty out the centre of the Earth for that to happen, jettisoning it out into space.

So I wouldn't worry about that.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by AliBruh
But what if before life began on Earth (besides that of the Earth, which is alive) an all-encompassing solar flare scorched the surface, and when the flare hit the water, life began?

lol, I'd love to hear the explanation to this one.

Sounds similar to those...

"when a lightining bolt hit a pool of water"
BAM
"primordial soup!"

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Solofront]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I suspect that, inferring from the commonly accepted notion everything which exists is in a state of vibration, & that the whole of the cosmos is patterned vibration, life began as a complex vibrational pattern. Its duration of life was determined by the quantity of entropy encouraged by the complex interacting patterns of vibration it consisted of.

Solid matter would be a very complex vibration, but not as complex as living organisms. But if existence has always been here, there's been plenty of time, change being the constant that it is.

Zeitgeist mentions human beings are composed of starlight, so I guess your theory can't be but so much of a stretch.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Scooby Doo

Solar flares are bursts of electromagnetic radiation from the sun (x-rays, UV, etc). The magnetosphere has no effect on electromagnetic radiation. It is our atmosphere which protects us from that and it's been doing a very good job of it for a very long time.

A coronal mass ejection (which can be associated with a flare) is an eruption of ionized particles from the Sun. Because these particles carry an electrical charge they are affected by the magnetosphere but even if they were not, the atmosphere would protect us from them as well.

Bottom line is that neither a solar flare nor a CME really has much affect on people or the planet. The danger in both is in the effects they can have on our technical society. Both can indirectly cause problems with our sophisticated communications and electrical systems.

However, if we did not have our magnetosphere our atmosphere would eventually be swept into interplanetary space, removing our radiation shield. But then, we wouldn't have to worry about it, would we?

[edit on 1/29/2010 by Phage]

top topics

join