It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brock Lesnar, "Canada's health care system 3rd world"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
First post in a while, go easy on me...
As I'm on my way home today, listening to my favorite talk radio station.
CFRB 1010, John Moore started talking about a UFC fighter downplaying the Canadian Health Care system. The story goes, Brock Lesnar owns a cabin deep in the woods of Manitoba (3 hours away from the nearest hospital).
Lesnar reportedly became ill and went to the hospital where the doctors told him they didn't know what was wrong with him.
Lesnar claims that Canada's health care system just wasn't up to his standard and that it was comparable to THIRD WORLD HEALTH CARE... wait what...? Third world? Third world countries don't have health care.
Check it out here
Story here
As a Canadian, I am both offended and down right disturbed by the fighter comments.
To be honest I usually feel bad for americans as they have to deal with such a corrupt health care system. But now I don't, if Americans are stupid enough to eat up this stuff then they deserve it.
Sure our system has its flaws and every health care system has its horror stories...
However, there is no excuse to leave people in debt for medical misfortunes.
Sure you might have to wait a little longer here, but you will be taken care of..
My father had a triple heart by pass a few years ago.
My father had one days notice of the surgery because the doctors determined if they didn't take action that he would die. The surgery went on and was a complete success. My father is alive and healthy today, still working in fact.
In conclusion, it's easy to bash Canada's health care system for small things, but in the end Health care is affordable for almost any government.
Specifically if your government has billions of dollars to put in to technologies specifically on killing people.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Ahh, Brock Lesnar? AHA. That guy... yeah, he's not known for sayin' the right things.. let's just put it that way.
Honestly, who really cares what he thinks? His opinion is not too incredibly important.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tribaltrip

Lol. Brock Lesnar's health.
If they'd have done their research, they would've found that there is now an interim heavyweight championship belt up for grabs due to Brock Lesnar's health. So, whatever. The guy's got a lot of stuff wrong with him.
Brock Lesnar needs a veterinarian, not a doctor. The guy's a freak.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Exactly,
Who really cares what he thinks...
His opinion doesn't really matter?
It must be easy for him to pay for those 'good doctors.'

"They couldn't do nothing for me," he added. "It was like I was in a Third World country, I just looked at my wife and she saved my life and I had to get out of there."

demeaning a bit.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

"They couldn't do nothing for me,"

So, then they did do something for him?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
You just humor a guy like Brock Lesnar when he talks, he carries trees on his shoulders when he trains, you just let him talk when he's on a roll of idiocy.

What are you going to do tell him to shut up?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Brock
Gee, I am not a doctor but I play one on tv.
My prognosis would be.
One too many kicks to the head, coupled with steroid abuse, and a low IQ to begin with.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
yeah brock lesners opinion on anything other then the best way to totally destroy somebody doesnt really amount to much.

I'm sure a socialized healthcare system didn't seem like the best option to a pro athlete. Guys in his line of work are used to getting the best care available. To the average person with the average ailments I'm sure canadas system is fine, if not better than the USA's. I've asked a few canadians about their health care and they dont seem to have any problems with it. Then again, none of them were pro athletes.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I wonder what he was hopping they would find ?

He went to the hospital because he wasn't feeling well ? Perhaps the reason they didn't find anything wrong with him was because there wasn't .

I wonder.... what would the chances be that he simply ran out of prescription pain killers and was going through withdraw and he went to the hospital with hopes of getting some form of refill ? He being as smart as he is he most likely was expecting to get the refill using his charm and boyish personality . When that didn't work the then decided to compare Canada to Iraq .

Speculation I know , but believable none the less

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
You guys need to get your facts straight before you start talking @#$% about Brock Lesnar and his experience. Here is the real story, as I am a follower of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts):

Brock Lesnar came down with a life-threatening bacterial infection called Diverticulosis. He had been sick for weeks before finally going to the doctor here in America, where he was initially told he just had a bad case of Mono. Weeks more passed, and he wasn't getting any better. He decided to pull out of his fight back in November, and took a trip to his cabin in Canada to get away from things, and try to get well again so he could start training. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Lesnar collapsed at his home in Canada and was rushed to the hospital located in Canada. There, he was told by the doctor "I don't know what's wrong with you" and had to wait an extended period of time for any more in-depth analysis of his condition.

By this time, his boss Dana White, who is the president of the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships) here in America, told him to come back to the states to see doctors here. Lesnar did just that, and after one visit was finally disgnosed with Diverticulosis. It was then found that Lesnar's fighting career (he was and still is the reigning UFC heavyweight champion) and potentially even his life were in danger if something wasn't immediately done. The doctors decided to give him high doses of antibiotics and wait for a period of 8 hours (yes we're talking HOURS here people) to see how his body reacts to the infection before under going surgery. Surgery in his case was going to result in removing his colon and ending his fight career permanently.

After the 8 hours had passed, Lesnar started making a miraculous recovery, and surgery to remove his colon was deemed unnecessary. Story in a nutshell- because he came back to America and was seen by doctors who actually knew what they were doing in a timely matter, this man's career and possibly LIFE was saved.

Here is an interview from yesterday about this whole ordeal on espn:

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Gdc934]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Gdc934

Well then in that case we got to give Canada some credit as they didn't misdiagnose him with Mono .

Can 1 USA 0

Now to be serious for a min , you are right we should have checked as most of us seem to have replied to the OP and not looked into the story deeper for ourselves . Instead we chose to poked fun at the big guy , shame on us

All that aside , lets hope he makes a full recovery

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gdc934
You guys need to get your facts straight before you start talking @#$% about Brock Lesnar and his experience. Here is the real story, as I am a follower of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts):

Brock Lesnar came down with a life-threatening bacterial infection called Diverticulosis. He had been sick for weeks before finally going to the doctor here in America, where he was initially told he just had a bad case of Mono. Weeks more passed, and he wasn't getting any better. He decided to pull out of his fight back in November, and took a trip to his cabin in Canada to get away from things, and try to get well again so he could start training. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Lesnar collapsed at his home in Canada and was rushed to the hospital located in Canada. There, he was told by the doctor "I don't know what's wrong with you" and had to wait an extended period of time for any more in-depth analysis of his condition.

By this time, his boss Dana White, who is the president of the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships) here in America, told him to come back to the states to see doctors here. Lesnar did just that, and after one visit was finally disgnosed with Diverticulosis. It was then found that Lesnar's fighting career (he was and still is the reigning UFC heavyweight champion) and potentially even his life were in danger if something wasn't immediately done. The doctors decided to give him high doses of antibiotics and wait for a period of 8 hours (yes we're talking HOURS here people) to see how his body reacts to the infection before under going surgery. Surgery in his case was going to result in removing his colon and ending his fight career permanently.

After the 8 hours had passed, Lesnar started making a miraculous recovery, and surgery to remove his colon was deemed unnecessary. Story in a nutshell- because he came back to America and was seen by doctors who actually knew what they were doing in a timely matter, this man's career and possibly LIFE was saved.

Here is an interview from yesterday about this whole ordeal on espn:

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Gdc934]

America saves another Canadian life. It's not the first time and
won't be the last. The Canadian Health Care System is imploding.
Not My Words - See For Yourself

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Brock Lesnar is American. He was born in South Dakota. He was at first misdiagnosed before coming to Canada.
It stands to reason that if someone has a disease that is difficult to detect, then the most common reasons for the illness would be ruled out.
I'm pretty sure he'd built up some sort of medical profile by the time he was treated in the USA for the SECOND time.
I think it's better to say you don't know what's wrong with someone than to misdiagnose them.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Brock is Canadian ?

That aside , lets be fair , Canada has helped the U.S out a few time as well , see the Canadian Caper

As for the crack US doctors lets not kid ourselves , they have been known to get it wrong once or twice as well . Heck they have even been known to amputate parts by mistake

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
In the UK we have the NHS and health care is paid for by national insurance and the system is great .When I read about health care in the USA my heart sinks because I can't believe that people die / don't get treatment because they can't pay for it .
It makes me wonder about the oath Drs take? that they will do no harm ,but is agreeing to work in a system that will not treat you if you can’t afford it ,not agreeing to do harm ? I feel for people in the USA ,they think if they don't pay thousands of dollars they will get substandard treatment , well that is simple a lie , don't believe your health insurance companies they only want your money and they fear losing it if President Obama’s health care bill passes .From what I can see they don't care about people’s health /your health ,they only want you money .
I can't speak for Canada ,but the UK system is similar and it works great !
Ed

[edit on 22-1-2010 by edtheduck]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
New Zealand is similarly bad, 1st world country and.... a 4 day wait to be operated on with a cut tendon. Each day making my chances of successful operation less and less. Really sucked going without food for 4 days in a row, just in case I could be operated on.
Guess this sorta stuff goes on everywhere in the '1st world'... our medical systems are not what they are shaped up to be, albeit better than nothing.

edit: i'd have sent him to a vet... what a beast he is lol.

[edit on 22/1/10 by GhostR1der]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by edtheduck
In the UK we have the NHS and health care is paid for by national insurance and the system is great .When I read about health care in the USA my heart sinks because I can't believe that people die / don't get treatment because they can't pay for it .
It makes me wonder about the oath Drs take? that they will do no harm ,but is agreeing to work in a system that will not treat you if you can’t afford it ,not agreeing to do harm ? I feel for people in the USA ,they think if they don't pay thousands of dollars they will get substandard treatment , well that is simple a lie , don't believe your health insurance companies they only want your money and they fear losing it if President Obama’s health care bill passes .From what I can see they don't care about people’s health /your health ,they only want you money .
Ed
I've had the best.......and the middle..and now pay for the worst care I've ever had. Inflation has taken my dollar to a pittance and the good doctors have fled to the pro teams. I am 57 y/o and my premium doubled and my pay went up .20 this year...vs. .25 last year. I have had the best care the world has ever known....I don't like the smell of "obamacare" but the health insurance/tort/hospital world needs serious reform here. I do believe we are losing our former edge in this field. My Doctors used to care...they have all retired.....including a former NFL surgeon.

It's politics as ususal...all about money...corp's....time for hardcore change here........I've been conservative all my life...middle maybe.

Time has come..........lets see some more tea partys and watch the politics then.......time...........the time is now.

E

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
One or two doctor's opinion's don't represent the collective knowledge of a country's health care system. Doctors are like apartments, you have to shop around to find a good one. It seems Lesner's ailment was mis handled on both sides of the border. Not every hospital has a Greg House to get to the bottom of mysterious conditions. Just saying

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by edtheduck
Ed

It works great?
What happens when a UK citizen gets macular degeneration?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I just about spat my oatmeal onto my keyboard.

Canada is GIGANTIC. With not a lot of people on it. It isn't as if we have the Mayo Clinic sitting on every patch of grass. You'd need to be a wild animal vet to have the clients for that.

Originally posted by heyo
reply to post by tribaltrip

Lol. Brock Lesnar's health.
If they'd have done their research, they would've found that there is now an interim heavyweight championship belt up for grabs due to Brock Lesnar's health. So, whatever. The guy's got a lot of stuff wrong with him.
Brock Lesnar needs a veterinarian, not a doctor. The guy's a freak.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join