It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We take virus and malware concerns seriously...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
After some testing of competing services (and some price negotiations, this ain't cheap), we've zeroed in on a firm who will very-soon begin long-term proactive scanning of all the ads that appear on ATS, every 15 minutes. The scanning will run each ad through a long-list of virus, malware, and improper operations (like redirections) and provide us with alerts so that we can notify the offenders (hopefully) before the ads become a problem on ATS.

I've just approved the new contract and we'll be getting things set up over the next few days.

It's been a rather long process as we first began testing different offerings from a few different providers, and while some were cheaper, the solution we settled on provides the best range of scans and tests, including the user of consumer-level malware scanners.

While I spend lots of time on ATS on a minimally-protected PC and have only encountered two improper ads (both were redirects), I know many of our members have had some problems. The new service will specifically identify the ad, the ad network(s) involved, and give us the specific information we need to have the ad removed from rotation on ATS.

I know I promised this some time ago, but given the costs involved, wanted to make sure we pick the right provider. We should be up and running within a few days, with full scanning operational soon after that.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Just wanted to add... this is something only the largest of media and publishing sites are doing. But we know it's important to ensure our users trust us and feel safe while browsing ATS.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This is good news.

Thank you for working on it!

Much appreciation.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Great new for ATS, thank you SkepticOverload.

Personally I must add that I do not have virus software installed on my laptop and have been logged into ATS for 3 years. My computer is never turned off unless I am flying. So that is over 1000 days and nights logged into ATS. I have used IE6 and 7, FireFox and now Chrome and to date have never had any problems.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

SkepticOverload?

"Overlord" man, Overlord. Oh Lord...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Thanks! This sounds really good, I hope it works.

I've only had one problem on ATS, but good ole McAfee took care of it for me. I never really thought of ATS as being any more of a threat to my computer than any other website that I visit.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Will this cause downtime on the site? While it is being put in place?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Funny you should post this now because I JUST got my computer back up and running from 4 hours of a redirect hijacking. I think it was called worm.win32.netsky

I had to delete firefox and all folders, (bye bye bookmarks)
Boot in safe mode
Ran Malwarebytes
Reinstall Firefox

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

Buy a Mac and be done with all that hassle

Yes, thanks to ATS for doing this. I had one problem a while back but that was before I got my Mac.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by mikelee]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

Buy a Mac and be done with all that hassle

Cool idea. Maybe we should buy two and give one to charity?! What with all this cash sitting here and all...

When macs get a market share worth a damn, the malware will cometh...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Thank you very much for protecting us. I havent had any problems since going to Firefox, but I did have some trouble with IE.

It is nice to know that you guys are on it though.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I want to address the powers that be on this here site: I was a non member for 7 months or so, and my Norton constantly had 20 plus cookies at high risk, just from browsing your site. And yes it was ATS because I search a lot of the net and never have an issues until I come to ats, and while on ats I would get multiple pdf blocks from Norton? I honestly didn’t understand it and still don’t, but as soon as I signed up my Norton popped up with 349u32q9159a numbers like that seeing if it was a threat. It finally didn’t block it? Stange eh? Yeah. Well just so you know I have a fresh install of windows 7 and I watch what I do online. I followed my behavior over a period of time and ats seem to have several cookies and attacks? Is this from the 3rd parties you play with? I heard mention of “contracts”

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sippy Cup
I want to address the powers that be on this here site: I was a non member for 7 months or so, and my Norton constantly had 20 plus cookies at high risk,

Cookies are not a risk, and are a normal part of web browsing.

Some anit-malware packages will fool you into believing cookies are a threat. See: keepourwebfree.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Yeah sorry for classifying them as high risk when they where only low risks (cookies). It happens

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sippy Cup
Yeah sorry for classifying them as high risk when they where only low risks (cookies). It happens

Ahh you're just thinking of the cookie monster... It's ok!! He's only after your pastry.

The only problems I've had with ad's on the site have been not security related, but sanity related. And they were removed post haste - but a good move regardless!!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
After some testing of competing services (and some price negotiations, this ain't cheap), we've zeroed in on a firm who will very-soon begin long-term proactive scanning of all the ads that appear on ATS, every 15 minutes. The scanning will run each ad through a long-list of virus, malware, and improper operations (like redirections) and provide us with alerts so that we can notify the offenders (hopefully) before the ads become a problem on ATS.

I've just approved the new contract and we'll be getting things set up over the next few days.

It's been a rather long process as we first began testing different offerings from a few different providers, and while some were cheaper, the solution we settled on provides the best range of scans and tests, including the user of consumer-level malware scanners.

While I spend lots of time on ATS on a minimally-protected PC and have only encountered two improper ads (both were redirects), I know many of our members have had some problems. The new service will specifically identify the ad, the ad network(s) involved, and give us the specific information we need to have the ad removed from rotation on ATS.

I know I promised this some time ago, but given the costs involved, wanted to make sure we pick the right provider. We should be up and running within a few days, with full scanning operational soon after that.

I tried to give you a star, but their wasn't an option for that. Could this be an ATS conspiracy?

I bet the higher ups or mods are blocking that action.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
You da man SkepticOverdog!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6167b6dbbed1.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 22-1-2010 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Nice one, as much as I dispise advertising, I underand that it helps fund the site. But can I make 1 iddy biddy ickle request. The drop down ads really get my goat. If you even slightly drag your mouse above the new posts button by mistake, and click, before you realise it you've been abducted and taken to a strange site where you're probed and have scarey experimental things done to you. Well, ok, that last bit might be a lie, but I'd love it if you killed those ads in the face with fire!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I truly appreciate that you all are taking care of this problem, that’s fantastic news.

If it’s any help in tracking down the issue, the majority of anti-virus hits that I get are late night, early morning. Its not a tremendous amount either, anywhere from once a week to once a month. There was one sidebar add in particular that was rotating sound add after sound add, and it popped up several alerts until I refreshed the page to get a new add.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Since joining ATS.com I have never had anything bad from it, I also stear clear of Norton, I use Ad-aware (paid for) and 3 other free 'anti' programs, and run them all at least once a day, all my address' are written down in a little black book, I have learnt the hard way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join