It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice needed..Dog Bite and Docs orders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I had a bad issue with the dog next door, someone had hooked the self tightening type leash by both ends, to its leash end, and every time it made a circle it got tighter.

Long story short , by the time I got involved, the dog had a leash imbedded in its neck....yes I know, sad but the why and how it happen came down to 8-10 year old childeren and a dog that had been off its leash....initially.

After this incident and seeing the horror, I put on my heavyest leather gloves and another pair of winter gloves over them, my leather biker jacket zipped the sleaves tight and went to help, with bolt cutters and good intentions!

Needless to say I got bit many many times, " small dod weiner/beagle mix" and got the metal chain cut and free from the dogs neck, " I could see its spine and knew it was time to take action, I had my gun, but have issues with killing anything that is ...well... in that , situation.

What I have to ask is the Doctors ordeers meds afterwards that has me shocked, or maybe I'm just not medically edjumacted anough...

OK, they gave me a tetnis shot, and followed it with 4000 mg...yes 4000...not a mi type, of augmentin XR a day for 10 days 2000 morning 2000 evening.

This sounds extreme to me, but uagmentin is not in my norm of antibiotics, I studied some medical, in my college days"20 years ago" and it is not part of my training.
I read up on it best I can, and found it an expensive alternative to pennicillen/amoxacillin, is that the case and I'm taking 4000 mg equivalent of amoxacillin?
Is that normal for a dog bite?

But hey the dog is now a friend and is rather nice to me, and was ok, after nursing the open wounds a bit and my own.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I dont think Augmentin is anything exotic. My 3 year old son has been prescribed it for past ear infections. Of course not the dosage you have.
The doc probably just wants to be safe and give you the drug to avoid infection. Good luck and mend fast!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by crw2006

Thanks, that was my concern too, the ammount.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Last year, I was in a local park when someone's "playful" dog was running through the grass looking for something the owner threw for it to fetch. I was wearing a ring on my right hand at the time when the dog came up to my side in an energetic manor and nearly took off my finger. Had 6 puncture wounds and 3 cuts. Went to the doc, he told me if it got infected it would have to be amputated. My finger was sore, but the doc didn't recommend any pills. Sanitized&Bandaged it, and kept it clean for several weeks I was fine.

Sounds like you walked into the salesmen office across the hall from the doctors office.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Obsurion

could be but my buddy runs the RX and he gat the proffit if any was to be had the script was pricey like $105

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Here's some info on how Doc's treat dog bites Doc..

www.aafp.org...

I didn't see the amounts mentioned but it looks like your Doc was on point with the treatment..

Hope you heal fast and thanks for helping out that dog

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Actually still have the bottle in fridge, It was 400 mg. My sons is a liquid, apparantly it is ammox and clavulanate potassium mixed together. Are you taking in pill form?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I seen that too, tty for the concern, its the dosage that I was cocerned about 4000 mg

I'll re-read it incase I missed something ...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by crw2006

yes 1000 mg horse pills two pills 2x's daily

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I'll take another peek and see if I can come up with something on dosage..

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

looks like you are on MAX dosage..

www.pdrhealth.com...

It doesn't mention dog bite, but does say that the XR version is for serious infections..

My google went kaput on me, (sat issues), so maybe try a fresh search on "Augmentin XR dosage"

I would but I am google challenged at the moment..

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Just a thought -- could the doctor have wanted you on the maximum dosage based on the condition of the dog and/or number and depth of bites? What did your pharmacist friend say about the dosage?

BTW, kudos for getting involved. What a sad story

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Hi Doc,

I'm a little late here. I U2U'd you and noticed this thread so will add my $0.02.

As a veterinarian, I end up treating myself and my employees (if they want) for dog bite a couple 3 times a year. Matter of fact I always prescribe the vet equivalent of Augmentin which is Clavamox. It works great, has no side effects that I have seen other than possible diarrhea after 3-4 days. Take yogurt or probiotics for that. Probiotics are always good when you take ABs to maintain normal flora.

The dose you were on is high but the doc obviously didn't want you to have complications which are likely with wounds like you had.

How would I have handled the dog? Inject dog with Domitor. Dog goes to sleep, remove chain, go home and have a beer. Oh yes and prescribe Clavamox to the dog, not me! LOL

Hope you are well!

new topics

top topics

join