It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Daughter Wants to join ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I have to tell you first.. I have been spending a great deal of time here online at ATS.. and every sencond has been pure fun and Time well spent in my view.

A few weeks ago my Daughter who is my oldest and is now 16 almost 17.. as she reminds me almost everyday now.. has been showing interest in what I have been doing online.. so I showed her some of what I do here and let her take a look at ATS.

My daughter's dream is to one day be a news reporter.. I have no idea where she got that from

But I have the last few days been letting her help me do some news submissions and well.. she has made a few mistakes.. not that I have not done the same..lol

But anyway... I value the memeber input here.. so I have to ask.. 16 (almost 17) old enough do you think for ATS?

She is a very mature girl... and with the summer break and all of the free time I think it would be something she could have some fun with and kill some time doing.

She also spends a lot of time reading.. and talking on the phone.. in fact I think the phone is part of her head now... very few times do I ever see her without it.

Anyway.. what do you think?

Please be honest!

Gazz

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
We've got members a lot younger than she is, and some that just seem that way.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Yeah I think 16 (17) Is old enough I guess.

We have many members who are as young or even younger than that.

So I dont see why not.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
every new perspective is a valued one

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
My son just turned 14 and wants to join. I have no problem with that.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
When I first came here I was 17, now i'm 18 and i'm glad I found ats. In my opinion, it made a world of a diffrence to me.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
16/17

Sure i see no problem with that a good age to join.
its always good to have young views,

Are youngest member is 11, we have many 13...14 yr olds as well

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Teenagers have great minds!

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Gazz,

Looking back (waaay back!) now, I wish I'd had a resource like ATS when I was 16. The extent of my world knowledge came from TV/pop culture, and it took me a long time to learn to see things from anything but an America-centric view.

You know your daughter better than any of us, so the decision must ultimately come from you. You know if she's mature enough to see what CNN doesn't show about current events (i.e. Nick Berg, etc) and if she's able to follow the Terms & Conditions of ATS.

IMO, she'd do fine here, especially if she's into news reporting. This is a good outlet for amatuer journalists (*ahem*ahem*) and I'm sure she'd have a ball with ATSNN.

Again, though, you know her best.

-B.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
yeah it is definetly old enough, I am the same age and i have been here for more then a year. Just make sure it doesn't take over her life, ATS is very addictive, so don't letter spend all of her time on the internet. Make sure she still goes outside and stuff. But from my point of veiw, ATS is the best way to learn without getting bored. Everyday I learn something new from ATS, and even BTS.

-just make sure it doesnt take all of her free time away.....

plus I am sure it will make for some interesting dinnertime discussions.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Ok.. it is a done deal..lol She is well pissed that I posted about this... and I will let her join in her own time.. she says that will be saturday.. shhh don't tell her I told you

So watch the intro forum Saturday!

Anyway thanks and I am sure my daughter is now ploting a way to kill me..lol

Gazz

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I encourage anyone and everyone to join who ahs an open mind and above shoe size IQ. Your child obviously has both, so let her join. It's not like gettign a tatoo or anything- if she doesn't like teh community ( spirits only know why) she can always breeze, right?

DE

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Maturity and chronological age don't always go hand in hand. Good on you with your 'proactive' parenting.

Some members here have considered that members with experience of the world make a better contribution. Part of that comes only with age, but it doesn't always come with age.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
*ponders letting his 11 year old loose on the forum*

I wouldnt have the heart to do it. People would hurt his self esteem.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Imho the sooner people get in touch with all kinds of things like discussed on ATS, the better.
It'll help to decrease the effect education and society has and will have on her in the future, the effect of making people def dumb and blind to the world around them.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Plenty of members around the same age and younger dont see why not let her join

se7

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
My daughter is a member, and she's younger than your daughter.

I would much rather my daughter spend time reading discussions on issues that will affect her present and future, than to have her watching the boob tube and turning into a twinkie-head - flakey on the outside, gooshy in the middle.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Im just 16 and Im glad I found this board. It has really.."enlightened" me about the world and different views than what CNN tells me to think.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Is she hot? k, I got that out of the way.

Why not? I mean there are complete idiots on this site that are in the "adult" age range. And there are tons of supposed 11-15 yr olds lurking around ATS. As long as she can determine what's bull and whats not, I see no harm, unless of course she is sucked into some sort of web cult that passes through.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Lysergic! Is that Eddie Izzard!!!

I LOVE the Izzard!

Fantabulous!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join