It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armed civilian humanitarian militia?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This may be a nutty idea, but what would the U.S government and United Nations do if civilians got together and created a humanitarian militia of sorts? The sole purpose would be to provide protection and aid to civilian populaces in diverse places.

I understand the amount of money necessary to protect, feed and help establish a mass of people in Darfur, the Congo and such, but it seems possible. Politics would play no part, just the protection of innocent life. The red cross and other groups always arrive late when millions could have been saved.

Instead of holding signs and lighting candles, the militia would board a few cargo planes loaded with weapons, supplies and simple hanging garden systems that are easy to set up and tear down. A safe perimeter would selected aroung a large village, city, field e.c.t and the mission would commence. aggressing forces would be dealt with by well trained men and woman.

I have no doubt the money could be raised...I'm curious if doing the above would conflict with certain interests in high places.

You're thoughts are appreciated people!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
the militia would board a few cargo planes loaded with weapons, supplies and ........A safe perimeter would selected aroung a large village, city, field e.c.t and the mission would commence. aggressing forces would be dealt with by well trained men and woman.

So you propose setting up your own mercenary army to take over areas by force.... what if the people do not want a group of yanks surrounding them with guns?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dereks

Aha! I did not say mercenary army, did I? No contracts, just protection from the aggressor. I suppose the militia would leave if there was a large consensus among the people.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

Seems like a fairly good idea. Depends on what that supposed militia will do when a nations army arrives at the scene? And if your militia was attacked, would recourse be taken? Although I do very much love the idea. A militia made by the people, staying for helping civilians, NOT staying for a nations resources.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Koolcdj69]

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Koolcdj69]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I thought of this too, but not quite the same way...
Now celebs are faster to act than TPTB, and Florida is what 100 miles away from the problems and we have logistic issues?...c-mon...its political, no if ands or buts to it!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I think its a good idea, I think it could work, but then I think governments of the world would butt in and take over and try to put their own spin on it, then take credit.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I suppose the militia would leave if there was a large consensus among the people.

What makes you think any sensible government would let a group of armed rabble land to "help"?

How would the USA deal with a group of armed Cubans landing in Louisiana to "help the civilians" after Katrina?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

I suppose the militia would leave if there was a large consensus among the people.

What makes you think any sensible government would let a group of armed rabble land to "help"?

How would the USA deal with a group of armed Cubans landing in Louisiana to "help the civilians" after Katrina?

The U.S government wasn't slaughtering residents. That was a hurricane, not an attack on civilians. Now, if the #e hit the fan and the federal government started lining up civilians for a bullet, I think a group of well trained opposition would be welcomed no matter where they are from.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
After reading the posting I came to the conclusion that armed security forces are a good idea, but they should not be part of the humanitarian group. Security for such operations should be a concern for armed trained security forces and humanitarian aide should be the purview of those involved in humanitarian care.

Mixing the two may make sense in some simplistic manner, but I can assure you that sooner or later you will come to see that a standing security related military type forces are best at dealing with combat issues and not with being nice one minute and then a cold stone killer the next.

Trying to get aide workers to be military proficient in staying alive and repelling an opposing armed enemy is not what should be managed by the humanitarian types. The two requirements are separate and should remain separate in order to allow for professionals to do what they are best at doing. While there are those that think that possessing a weapon is enough to be your own protector in grave situations, I can assure you owning a weapon and using a weapon on another human being in a whole new subject that not everyone can do when the time comes.

Such hesitation will get a lot of people killed. As such the security team has to be combat trained to be of any use as a security detail. The idea of an existing international security detail large enough to handle large scale humanitarian operations would be a good profitable venue to go into but mixing security duties with humanitarian duties is only going to ensure that both get mucked up. That's my thoughts on the subject.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This idea had been tried before and failed. The UN had failed mankind miserably. There was too much politiking and corruption within the UN.

There is no hope, and furthermore, the powerful and rich NWO will NEVER allow such an organisation to exist for it will challege its hegemony, more so with armed power.They will do all they can to discredit the organisation and its leaders with The paid MSM.

No. Armed militia is not the answer to help others. IT WILL BE EDUCATION. If we truly care about fellow humans, it will be our donations for education to the less priviledged around the world. It is peaceful and something that all RESPONSIBLE political masters will accept.

BUT before even a single cent is spent or donated, THERE MUST BE ACCOUNTABILITY FOR EVERY DIME SENT. Maths and sciences while important, but more critical will be history UNVARNISHED, along with PHILOSOPHY and CIVIC programmes.

The critical programmes will help every child understand humanity and how precious human lives are, and the 3 Rs will help him/her find a job and career for sustainance and be a worthy contributor to societies.

Reiligion is equally important to maintain a cultural link, but never more important than humanity and secular freedom, for religion can and had been twisted by evil men to incalculate innocent humans to serve their ends. No more must such manipulations be allowed.

Thus, if nations accepts such conditions, we must dig deep within our pockets to help fund education. It may take 30 to 40 years for a child today to gain maturity and comprehension, but a wait worth waiting for. Children are our last hope and future for a better world than what we had inherited, and done yesterday.

To deny them this hope and opportunity is to deny the continuation of humanity and doom all that our ancestors had tried to achieve for mankind.....

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

I find myself agreeing with you on pretty much everything you wrote. Indeed, a former red cross worker shouldn't be given an assault rifle. Likewise, well trained security forces shouldn't be setting up hanging gardens.

To Seeker. The UN shares nothing in common with the stated idea. Absolutely nothing. You say "There is no hope". Well you can choose to feel that way, but I am sure there other people who do not. Yes, the MSM would ravage the group in anyway possible, but I believe hundreds of thousands of people saved from slaughter will speak just as loud.

Really Seeker, what "legitimate" government would attack a humanitarian militia(rightly divided) on a mission to secure and feed a people against whom a genocide is being committed? I'm not bashing you're position, its reasonable given the state of the world and of peoples minds, but education will do nothing against AK-47's and machetes.

I will say this...I am in no professional position to start raising funds, as I am just a long haired college student with a misdemeanor. Neither am I qualified to coordinate combative/aid missions of any kind...but I would give everything I could give to such an honest and transparent effort.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

[edit on 22-1-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

I am just a long haired college student with a misdemeanor. Neither am I qualified to coordinate combative/aid missions of any kind...but I would give everything I could give to such an honest and transparent effort.

You're in luck... now I ask, are you really willing to give?

Portsmouth Coast Guard cutter helps in Haiti

Coast Guard personnel continue to assist Haiti with relief operations

Coast Guard Cutter Dallas delivers aid to Georgia

(the list can go on forever)

In my time with the coast guard, I've played a hands on role in humanitarian missions, search, and rescue operations, law enforcement operations, living marine resource protection, and so, so, so much more... in areas of the world I never thought I'd see. (Haiti included)

All 5 branches of the US military have noble peace time missions. I urge you to delve a little deeper beyond whatever you think the US military is, or may be, and check it out. Research a little bit into them.

Armed forces not your style? Maybe the 2 other uniformed services are up your alley. Public Health Service, and NOAA do amazing work as well... (I've worked alongside them as well if you'ld like to know more from a Coasties perspective.)

Got questions? Want to know more? Feel free to ask... I'm not a recruiter, just an enlisted Coast Guardsman who's been a member of this board for years (well before the date listed on this account).

Once again, I ask you, are you really willing to give?

You can do it, if your willing to sacrifice.

And just to put it out there... you don't have to join the military to do humanitarian work, there's tons of great civilian organizations out there that can get you involved. I encourage, and respect action of ANY type. Not just military.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the board member and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Departments of Defense, Homeland Security, or Justice; the Coast Guard or any other office or agency of the U.S. Government; or any organization, corporation, company, or partnership.

[edit on 2/2/10 by microcosm]

top topics

join