It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Defends $650K File Sharing Fine Against Grad Student

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Obama Administration Defends $650K File Sharing Fine Against Grad Student

www.dailytech.com

The Obama Administration, which recently asked five former RIAA lawyers to serve in the Justice Department, is supporting the verdict, stating that copyright infringement, "creates a public harm that Congress is determined must be deterred."

In lieu of the tension between the Chinese Government and Google regarding the recent IP theft and account hacking problems, it isn’t hard to see why the Obama Administration is standing so firmly against copyright infringements. Whether a defendant is sharing files or hacking into a corporation, their act violated copyright laws, and failing to ta
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
$650k?

**** THAT

Just take my life because under this stupid economic system that's more than how much I'll save eating only porridge 24/7 in a lifetime.

I thought Democrats were for the people...

Why can't these people prioritize the bad guys you ask? It's because they are the "bad guys."

Tenebaum’s defense team is going back to work on $22,500 per-song ruling, in hopes of lowering the penalty to $750 per-song.

www.dailytech.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/21/2010 by die_another_day]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Perhaps he can sell the files and make millions like Napster.
Perhaps the government will tax entertainment more as
if money can be made the government steps in.
Health care and drug prescriptions are two examples.
Telephone taxes and fees, the 911 fee, and automobiles for
years now. Either a gimmick or a blow hard everyone is afraid
of moves in to head a new agency with funding.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Its sad that the government no longer cares for us by making dumb a$$ laws that charge us an arm and a leg for some decent music. They will pretty much find anything on us to take what little cash flow we have till were homeless. $&F

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Interesting that they're harder on kids who file share than they are with dudes who strap explosives to their kiesters and attempt to blow a plane up, isn't it?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Well, it's not like you're forced to illegally download music.

That being said, these fines are outrageous!! Poor guy is screwed economically for most of his life..
Especially considering bands don't even make that much money from their record sales, most of it is from touring (concerts), merchandise, and sponsorship!

NEXUS

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoEXcUseS

That being said, these fines are outrageous!! Poor guy is screwed economically for most of his life..
Especially considering bands don't even make that much money from their record sales, most of it is from touring (concerts), merchandise, and sponsorship!

NEXUS

You said it all right there...

They only get a Boost in the long run from their music spreading, this is all absolutely criminal...

I couldn't agree more... it's not stealing to copy a song, your money should come from performances mainly, And those fans who purchase anyway they are impossibly evil...

He's not ruined for life but bankruptcy at a young age is no pleasure.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
bad double post bad bad...

[edit on 22-1-2010 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoEXcUseS

NEXUS

Bands don't make most of their money off of cds. That is correct in a way. If the band writes their own songs and owns their publishing they can make a nice chunk of change off of their cds. Their is actually a statutory rate for royalties that writers are paid per song per cd. The rate can be negotiated, but it is set at 9.1 cent per song or 1.75 cent per song for works over five minutes.

Cd sales are what keep the engineers, producers, and writers in business. Their is a huge support web behind any serious album. When the music stops selling a lot of hard working people start hurting.

It honestly cost about $25,000 to do the bare minimum to get a comercially viable country music project. That doesn't include duplication, distribution, marketing, tour support, or the video. If you want to get to Taylor Swift, Brad Paisley, or Keith Urban status it takes about $250,000 - $750,000 dollars.

How many artist can afford that kind of jack? Almost none of them. So the label acts as a banker and offers them the money and the shot. They just ask for a high percentage return. They ask for a high percentage return because even in the best of times 90% of records fail to make a profit. (The few that profit actually pay for the remastered Miles Davis releases and the obscure heavy metal band that only sales 30,000 copies.)

I don't agree with everything labels do. I believe the new 360 deals are a load of crap. I also believe that they need to reorganize and cut some of the fat. I believe that greed and a failure to anticipate changeing markets are destroying them. However, we have to realize that stealing music isn't just about the artist who's music was stolen. It is about the lively hood of literally thousnads of honest hard working people. We must realize that it reduces the label's inclination to take risk.

When people refuse to pay for a product the quality of product they recieve will decrease.

You could look at it this way... What would you do if your boss asked you to work Monday though Friday but only wanted to pay you for thursday? Would you continue with the company, or would you look for another way to support yourself?

[edit on 22-1-2010 by MikeNice81]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
What could this person have possibly done to be singled out like this?

I can assure you that there are millions of people out there abusing our copyright laws. Just look at all the file sharing programs and torrents out there on the web.

I guess it's cheaper just to make an example out of a select sample.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Actually he is screwed for life. You can't file bankruptcy on civil/criminal fines. You don't pay they issue warrants.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Its very simple really…
Don’t steal others copyrighted material, if you do it’s the same as stealing cold hard cash from them. File sharing theft, plain and simple. It only seems like a victimless crime, but its still stealing. Some folks feel vindicated because the record companies charge too much, but its their product and they can charge any price for their product that they wish to, that is their right to do under a capitalist system. If you don’t like it just don’t listen to their music or copy it legally off the radio.

I do not get why folks have such a hard time grasping this.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
One of the main things that fascist governments do is to criminalize everything. That way whenever someone may become a leader to organize a counterparty or begins speaking out they can always find something to smear, imprison, or destroy them with. File sharing is almost totally prevalent in our society now, and i dont think i know a single person who doesnt file share, or own enough pirated media in their home to get several hundred thousand in fines. Even my work has pirated media.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Okay, first and foremost the administration should just SHUT UP about this case, not helping.

Secondly, why the judge slap the kid with maximum fine? And why the maximum fine is so high? Those people in the government definitely need to set their priorites straight.

new topics

top topics

join