It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tycho Lunar Crater, more than NASA wants to tell us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I found this article interesting. Why so much talk about the moon lately? Have we found something important there? More than NASA wishes to tell us?

The moon's Tycho Crater, though average in size, is special because it appears to have formed relatively recently. The vast crater still looks pristine in the new images, while older craters are slowly covered by newer impacts as their features are obscured over the years.

Im not usually one to speculate, when it comes to theories about the Moon. But here lately, with all of the study going on, it makes me wonder.

To find the truth about Tycho's age, scientists will need rocks collected inside the crater. These may finally be available soon, since the site has been chosen as a possible landing spot for future manned missions to the moon in the 2020s under NASA's Constellation program.

Space dot com article

What do you think? Are we doing more than just studying the ages of celestial objects?

Are we setting up camp?

Your thoughts, fellow ATS'ers?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Tycho was created by a very large meteor impact.

This impact would cause a large amount of debris to expel into the air.

I would assume, being that there's no wind, the dust would go mostly up and down, concentrated in the center.

Couldn't this just be a pile of stuff that slooowly came down to the moon's surface, happening after the initial impact crater was formed?

Looks like a pile of sand.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
What do you think? Are we doing more than just studying the ages of celestial objects?

I find it very unlikely that we'll have a functioning manned lunar program in another ten years. Not with the economy the way it is. Except for the possibility of mining Helium-3 (a possible fuel for fusion reactors that don't even exist yet), there's no good reason to go back there anytime soon.

Robots building radiotelescopes in farside craters? I hope so. But it's hard to get excited about robots.

new topics

join