It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome list of banned books

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Here is a very large list of banned books, all available for perusal.
Now a big disclaimer: To my knowledge they are all open domain works. At least the ones that got my attention are academic releases or public domain in as much they are not in print in the U.S.

Given it is a large list, I am reasonably certain there is something on there that is still copyrighted or closed. I have not investigated all the items by any degree.

If anything is copyrighted: my apologies, it is not my intent to disseminate anything of that nature.

List of banned books

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
What a fantastic list. It looks like there are a few in there that will make very interesting reading. Many Thanks.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0

Why do youthink that they are banned? Several are available on Amazon...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

Why do youthink that they are banned? Several are available on Amazon...

Was echoing what I was told in regards to the banning. Perhaps it includes books banned in schools as well as country without differentiating.

Not sure. Will look into it later.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dereks

The list includes books that were banned for all of a day decades ago.

I think we'd all be hard-pressed, in America anyway, to find a truly banned book.

Australia has a few that are currently banned like American Psycho. Anything classed as material that may "promote, incite or instruct in matters of crime or violence".

I'd like to know if there are really any that are banned in the US currently. Whole Bill of Rights and all.

Banned in Oz

Classification in Oz

[edit on 21-1-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Thanks, very interesting free time reads!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Regardless of the actual nature of their restriction, those links are easily found in many areas...and oddly enough many of them have corrolating ATS threads...

A good list though; many interesting reads there...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

Nice...

Banned or not-banned, some of these are good reads...for info and/or entertainment.

prernalal.com.nyud.net...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Australia has a few that are currently banned like American Psycho.

You mean American psycho by Ellis Bret? Available from Dymocks for $24.95?
www.dymocks.com.au...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Thanks...great stuff....Isn't it wise to know your enemy?.....and read all about him?...Hmmm...stupid that book banning still excists.

I never knew that Noam Chomsky ate dry bread..

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Not sure. Will look into it later.

Some of the David Icke books on that list are at my local bookstores as I have perused them while waiting to meet with some people. Where is it these are supposed to be banned from appearing?

Thanks either way, there are many interesting looking reads in there, whether they are banned anywhere or not.

[edit on 1/21/10 by Lillydale]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

Orwell's 1984? Not banned. Required reading in some college classes. I have a copy.

Many of these "books" listed are small page .pdfs -- not really books. Seems more a compillation of CT papers.

I was dismayed to not find "The Archanist Cookbook", which surely was banned for a period, and perhaps even still is very difficult to find. S'okay with me. Stuff in that book....... I really don't want everyone knowing about.

Appreciate your bringing this list to our attention -- as Happygolucky said, there's many a good read in here!

cheers!

p.s . David Icke WISHES his books were banned.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Books used to be only available in local stores. But you could sometimes order them from the publisher or find them on the secondhand market.

No more, Anything in print can be found on the Internet to order. Much one banned material is scanned and downloaded.

What can't find a publisher or is out of print can be found in the Net.

The concept of banned [paper] books is over with the Digital Revolution.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by mmiichael]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Reply to post by dereks

Yeah, that is what I meant. Aus must have lifted it. You have an up to date list?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I was taking the "Banned" part from the URL. The nature of banning or where they might be banned could be open to a huge interpretation-though I doubt it's as general as say "Banned in China" as the list would be much larger.

I was not involved in the gathering of the material and have no idea the real criteria behind it.

So, my apologies, I can't address why X or Y is on there but A and B are not :/

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
All I got to add is a"book"[?] that fits with my avatar

FBI.Report_Cthulhu.Cult.pdf

By Nodens himself I didn't think the FBI looked into us!
[Like Cthulhu is real
]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
great find thank u very much i will have some nice reading time this weekend

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
OP these are a nice selection of books, but your title is a little misleading. I picked out 5 books randomly in the list and all of them can be purchased online. Maybe banned isn't the right word.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The Raven by Poe?

Yah for my High school english teachers!

An interesting if somewhat suspect list of reading.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
very cool stuff but you might want to be careful a quick check showed that Chomsky's work is still available on Amazon... so there might be some copyright violation going on...
Just a heads up.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join