It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hamas accepts Israel's right to exist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Hamas accepts Israel's right to exist

www.jpost.com

Hamas has accepted Israel's right to exist and would be prepared to nullify its charter, which calls for the destruction of Israel, Aziz Dwaik, Hamas's most senior representative in the West Bank, said on Wednesday.

Dwaik's remarks are seen in the context of Hamas's attempts to win recognition from the international community.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Wow... this seems like pretty big news. If Hamas are willing to accept Israel's right to exist, this surely will help with the opinions of Hezbollah in Lebanon and maybe even Iran. Regardless of whether or not this is simply to gain international acceptance of Hamas, it's still a step in the peaceful direction.

If the rockets have stopped from the West Bank (?) then really Israel will have run out of excuses for keeping Gaza strip... what are your thoughts? Have we just heard this all before www.timesonline.co.uk...??

www.jpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
If this report is true, the end of days is here.

I think I'll go check my Armageddon supply closet now.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Watch now for another pretext to attack Gaza to counter this offer.

Israel has consistently dodged this issue as it means they too have to reciprocate accordingly, yet they have consistently even dodged defining their own borders. This will be interesting to watch though.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It would be nice if this were to prove to be true. But, I'm not holding my breath!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Well, they've always said since they came into power in 2006 that they accept based on the 1967 agreement... but this is the first offer to amend the charter, which has never been made and is creating quite the stir.

Certainly I think this puts Israel in a position of needing to respond... I'm looking forward to what Netanyahu has to say on this.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Wow,Hope this is true!
Good find.
Are Hamas doing this in order to hold on to power I wonder?
I did not see this coming-I hope this leads to peace between the two.
Although,with their recore,I will not hold my breath.

S+F

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Didn't see that one coming!

I'm guessing this is in response to the 25 jets a day now being flown over Lebanon. They know something is ramping up, and Israel is beating the proverbial war drum. I believe this is to counter that attack, hopefully to stop it in its tracks. Smart move on their part!

Put the ball back in Israel's court.. The world's focus is on them, and now they might need a false flag if they are going to want justification to have air strikes in Lebanon or Syria.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

Hamas actually accepted it in 2008

On 21 April 2008, former US President Jimmy Carter met with Hamas Leader Khaled Meshal and reached an agreement that Hamas would respect the creation of a Palestinian state in the territory seized by Israel in the Six-Day War of 1967, provided this be ratified by the Palestinian people in a referendum. Hamas later publicly offered a long-term hudna with Israel if Israel agreed to return to its 1967 borders and to grant the "right of return" to all Palestinian refugees. Israel has not responded to the offer.

Source: www.nytimes.com...
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Again,

In November, 2008 Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh, de jure Prime Minister of the Palestinian Authority and de facto prime minister in Gaza, stated that Hamas was willing to accept a Palestinian state within the 1949 armistice lines, and offered Israel "a long-term hudna, or truce, if Israel recognized the Palestinians' national rights."

Source: www.haaretz.com...

Israel did not responded to Hamas and in December launched Operation Cast Lead after breaking the ceasefire and committing war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza. Till date it has been building more and more settlements.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Hamas has stated its intention to recognize Israel plenty of times, but at the same time they have equally often stated not to recognize Israel as well. Nevertheless, I think that the international community should force Israel to take this opportunity to start a serious dialog on a two-state solution.

"The [Hamas] charter was drafted more than 20 years ago," Dwaik noted, adding that his movement would even be prepared to "nullify" the document.

"No one wants to throw anyone into the sea," he said.

Dwaik also expressed Hamas's desire to engage in dialogue with the international community, first and foremost the European Union. He confirmed that Hamas was receiving financial aid from Iran, but said that this was the direct result of the boycott and sanctions against the movement.

This is a comparison between the current borders and the pre-1967 borders. Israel would lose a significant part of its territory and many settlements would have to be dismantled. I don't see the Israeli government getting a stomach for agreeing with that anytime soon. In either way, Israel will lose but it could win peace. What matters more? Since Hamas is not much of a threat anyway, I assume that the Israeli government cares less about peace than about the loss of land and the consequential unrest that it would cause.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I hate to be cynical, but this likely means a day of peace....followed by business as usual.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Yes, I linked the 2008 Times Online story of the same nature in the OP. This is slightly different in that Hamas are now stating they will be approaching David Miliband to ratify the changes to the Hamas Charter (which is not in use officially by Hamas anyway, but denounces Israel and IMO is a very smart move in order to get the world to demand an Israeli response, if nothing more) so this tells me they are looking to external intermediaries to push Israel into acceptance of both Hamas as a democratic political entity and the withdrawal of troops from Gaza.

On face value it looks very much like the same story, but on closer inspection it does exert more pressure than ever before on Israel to respond. Unsurprisingly not many western media outlets have picked up on the story so far, but I presume we'll have their take on this shortly... at least I hope we will.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

I doubt there will be any major MSM coverage on this issue as it shows willingness of Palestinians to talk, specially of Hamas. The MSM theatrics are not non-biased anymore and have heavy influence exerted upon them.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Thanks for the maps, very interesting... just look how much Palestine has lost - not so much between 1967 and now. Israel would have to be greedy as a pig not to allow them that portion of land back IMO. It's a very fair offer if ever I heard one. Sadly, I think they're much much greedier.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

I made a accurate gif map of Palestine and Israel from 1878-2003 which covers settlements in slideshow, hopefully you may find this useful:

My thread:-1878-2003: Israel & Palestine in Maps

[edit on 21-1-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pr0t0
Wow... this seems like pretty big news. If Hamas are willing to accept Israel's right to exist, this surely will help with the opinions of Hezbollah in Lebanon and maybe even Iran. Regardless of whether or not this is simply to gain international acceptance of Hamas, it's still a step in the peaceful direction.

Hezbollah has no problem with the existence of Israel. I am not sure why they always get brought up when people discuss Hamas or the Palestinians, they have nothing to do with it.

Hezbollah exists to "defend" Lebanon from foreign aggression. It has no desire to see the downfall of Israel.

The Middles East issue isn't as simple as Jews vs Arabs. There are mulitple factions on both sides, with different agenda's at work.

Although the map's linked above do show how Israel has continued to grab land they weren't given or have any right to whatsoever, so you can see why, in general, most Arabs and Muslims are pretty pissed off.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Predictably there are the usual foaming at the mouth hate purveyors here and the same trotted out phony maps, etc.

Hamas has a history of receiving terrorist funding and demonstrably is in the business of sustaining itself. As Saudi money filtered through fronted charities were supplemented by sympathy/guilt donations from European countries like Norway, l - business was fine.

Iran then decided Hamas in Gaza represented a good proxy as leverage for their Middle East imperialism. Embedded in Israel's borders and inching towards the ultimate goal - Saudi Arabia. Iran funded Hamas generously to provoke a retaliation with Israel by providing funds, weapons, training. It worked and Israel struck back.

Hamas leader Mashaal congratulated himself from the hideaway in Syria. Millions coming in every month and good publicity.

Unfortunately little went toward the betterment of the actual residents of Gaza. An economy has to be based on productivity and growth, not posing for cameras with babies in bloodied blankets.

As the world's economic belt tightens, and regular funding sources become more cynical of Hamas's true intent, the pressure is on to deliver something. The people in Gaza see what's happening finally.

The US is probably now telling Hamas they will match the dried up funding form Europe and the Saudis in exchange for a truce and de-escalation of conflict with Israel. Time for peace and to build up something insead of perpetually trying to destroy.

Mashaal in Damascus has one overriding motivation - to keep the money coming in from any source. So a change of tune.

Hopefully a turning point with Hamas dealing with the realities of their commitments. Taking on the responsibility of governing a state, not just getting by extorting guilt money.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by mmiichael]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Jpost lies again for whatever reason. Terrible. Really terrible that this whole drama over a so-called Hamas charter is made any real past early 1990s when there was no movement to ratify such document. Hamas Charter has since been upheld and documented on Israeli resources alone.

Hamas has no charter. They've stated this many times.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

I haven't seen anyone mentioning Hamas to be the good boys. They are terrorists, but the fact remains that they have significant power in Gaza and on a fair share of the Palestinian people. As I previously stated, Israel should be forced to engage in a dialog. Like I also stated, Hamas has equally often rejected to recognize Israel as they accepted it, but that cannot be a reason to stop further dialog. If you think like that, they could rather bomb Israel and the Palestinian territories. Each and every opportunity should be taken. I only doubt Israel is seriously interested in a two-state solution.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join