It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Removes Limits on Corporate, Labor Donations to Campaigns

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy

Originally posted by Blaine91555
I don't think some of you understand. The Supreme Court just ruled that a Corporation or a Union is equal to a citizen and has the same rights. This is dangerous in many ways. That's why both Parties are upset over this. It was perhaps the worst decision ever made by the Supreme Court. It's is giving citizenship rights to an entity that is not human or even alive.

If Walmart is a citizen and therefore can be prisoned. How big do you think the prison will be?

Tiny because you can't take your owners to court. Plus it was a court that made Walmart a Super Citizen.

Ziggy Strange

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystrange

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7
When the majority of ATS and Keith Olbermann agree on something then this is the day that hell truly has frozen over!

I don't even know what to say to this, other than to hope that President Obama is telling the truth when he says he is going to congress to try and fix this. I can't believe I said that. "My only hope is THE PRESIDENT"

Let's all remember what side of the aisle these judges reside.

He is going to try to fix it, and people better never ever forget who did it and why.

You watch, I'm only thankful it's not McPalin in charge, or this would be declared a national holiday.

The Republicans are saying it's freedom of speech!

Ziggy Strange

He can't fix it now without a constitutional amendment. The court is operating under the principal that a corporation is a person and bribery is free speech. Unlikely now that anything will happen. Americans will get over it very shortly and the frog will get used to the temperature

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillfromCovina

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7
When the majority of ATS and Keith Olbermann agree on something then this is the day that hell truly has frozen over!

I don't even know what to say to this, other than to hope that President Obama is telling the truth when he says he is going to congress to try and fix this. I can't believe I said that. "My only hope is THE PRESIDENT"

Let's all remember what side of the aisle these judges reside.

He is going to try to fix it, and people better never ever forget who did it and why.

You watch, I'm only thankful it's not McPalin in charge, or this would be declared a national holiday.

The Republicans are saying it's freedom of speech!

Ziggy Strange

He can't fix it now without a constitutional amendment. The court is operating under the principal that a corporation is a person and bribery is free speech. Unlikely now that anything will happen. Americans will get over it very shortly and the frog will get used to the temperature

Complacency is what got us here.

I disagree, Obama will do all he can, if he pulls it off, people will have to admit he's trying.

But most important I believe he wants to do it.

We can disagree on this. it's not about Obama so much anymoe.

You can believe whatever you want.

But you sure give in easy after all that's transpired.

Ziggy Strange

[edit on 22-1-2010 by ziggystrange]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
This may have already been posted, if so my apologies.

Think what you will of Keith Olbermann, but he has SLAMMED the right wing for their complete and utter sell out of America.

Olbermann: U.S. government for sale
With no limits on campaign financing, corporations will take over the government

Watch this video segment, he nails it dead center.

Corporations will flood and drown out any message they don't like. This is not about "free speech" (what a lark that idea is) it's about corporate shills hijacking elections. The Fed (record 46.1 BILLION this past year), or any major industry player (think of those in the defense industry), or Big Oil (Exxon makes billions in profits every quarter) can pour staggering amount of money into campaign funds for their manchurian candidates coffers to dominate any election.

This is just an outright fraud, and EVERY single "conservative" should be screamin mad over this - but instead all we get is silence - because the mouth pieces for the GOP over at Fox News (Rupert's Big Media corporation) got their fondest wish. So of course you won't hear any outrage from Beck, Hannity, or their latest corporate window dressing, Palin.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
This may have already been posted, if so my apologies.

Think what you will of Keith Olbermann, but he has SLAMMED the right wing for their complete and utter sell out of America.

Olbermann: U.S. government for sale
With no limits on campaign financing, corporations will take over the government

Watch this video segment, he nails it dead center.

Corporations will flood and drown out any message they don't like. This is not about "free speech" (what a lark that idea is) it's about corporate shills hijacking elections. The Fed (record 46.1 BILLION this past year), or any major industry player (think of those in the defense industry), or Big Oil (Exxon makes billions in profits every quarter) can pour staggering amount of money into campaign funds for their manchurian candidates coffers to dominate any election.

This is just an outright fraud, and EVERY single "conservative" should be screamin mad over this - but instead all we get is silence - because the mouth pieces for the GOP over at Fox News (Rupert's Big Media corporation) got their fondest wish. So of course you won't hear any outrage from Beck, Hannity, or their latest corporate window dressing, Palin.

Thank you for that video. It's dead on.

I knew it. I never watch Olberman I was convinced he was just making FOX news look bad and telling lies, soros puppets my but. Every word he said was true. This is sick, Dude, I was a big time Conservative. No more.

I feel like i'm in a movie. This is crazy.

Man. I'm tripping out. Now everything is upside down and I feel like an idiot. This is like that dam matrix.

I have to go and have a drink my friends are all going to hate me.

CyberStray

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Complacency is what got us here.

I disagree, Obama will do all he can, if he pulls it off, people will have to admit he's trying.

But most important I believe he wants to do it.

We can disagree on this. it's not about Obama so much anymoe.

You can believe whatever you want.

Ziggy Strange

We already lost. A person I know tried to tell me the other day that Obama was going to make everyone paint their car green. This person is a conservative and heard it from another one. If you look at what happened with healthcare you will see that the corporations got what they wanted. Did the Tea Party members stop paying their taxes? Did people who are against the war stop paying? Did you? When it comes to making a tough decision that will go against the government, people will not make it. The capstone of the pyramid can always be replaced. When the bottom and middle stop participating it falls apart.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillfromCovina

Ziggy Strange

We already lost. A person I know tried to tell me the other day that Obama was going to make everyone paint their car green. This person is a conservative and heard it from another one. If you look at what happened with healthcare you will see that the corporations got what they wanted. Did the Tea Party members stop paying their taxes? Did people who are against the war stop paying? Did you? When it comes to making a tough decision that will go against the government, people will not make it. The capstone of the pyramid can always be replaced. When the bottom and middle stop participating it falls apart.

Dude, that the kind of stuff they want us to feel. You sound like you're quiting with no trying.

I'm not giving up that easy. Americans can't just quit dude, what's wrong with you?

CyberStray

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Court today rejects a century of history when it treats the distinction between corporate and individual campaign spending as an invidious novelty born of Austin v. Michi-gan Chamber of Commerce, 494 U. S. 652 (1990). Relying largely on individual dissenting opinions, the majority blazes through our precedents, overruling or disavowing a body of case law including FEC v. Wisconsin Right to Life, Inc., 551 U. S. 449 (2007) (WRTL), McConnell v. FEC, 540 U. S. 93 (2003), FEC v. Beaumont, 539 U. S. 146 (2003), FEC v. Massachusetts Citizens for Life, Inc., 479 U. S. 238 (1986) (MCFL), NRWC, 459 U. S. 197, and California Medical Assn. v. FEC, 453 U. S. 182 (1981).

Today, folks, Corporatist Conservatism bent the US Citizen over from behind.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by CyberStray

Dude, that the kind of stuff they want us to feel. You sound like you're quiting with no trying.

I'm not giving up that easy. Americans can't just quit dude, what's wrong with you?

CyberStray

I am not giving up. I just don't believe we can fix our government anymore. Look at my earlier post and you will see the solution. Stop participating. Do not allow your sons and daughters to join the military. If you participate in a jury always find the common man innocent and corporation guilty. If you are accused of a crime always plead not guilty and fight like hell. Never allow the court to represent you and represent yourself if you are not rich. File every motion possible. If found guilty always choose jail time, never pay or choose probation. Break the system. If a corporation has cheated or wronged you, don't expect justice. Handle it the old fashioned way and go directly to the top. Don't try and fight their police or armies. To kill a snake you have to strike at its head. The pyramid does not get built without the slave. Stop participating.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
In all honesty I just had an emotional breakdown. I have had my eyes set on politics for years, i am going to college to get a degree in Political Science and I was all set to knock some head on Wall Street. I hate Wall Street and corporations more than almost anyone on here. I am now dropping out of political science, I will be notifying my college that I am now withdrawing from Political Science on monday. I have no idea of what else to do, I am not good at really anything else besides politics and that is now over. The politicians that I love will now be gone; Kucinich, Sanders, Feingold, Leahy. They will all be gone. I have been a member of ATS for a while and have been reading about NWO and all that stuff and never TRULY believed it, I knew it was always a possability but seemed way to far fetched now I believe it is happening. I think we are truly entering the end, wars will now happen at all times because corporations will want money, the poor will go hungry and homeless as the middle class will be abolished. This is truly the end of the United States as we have known it, the founding fathers worked so hard for nothing. All of their labor and beliefs about a world that would be like providence, the land where people were always garunteed unshakable rights that nothing can take away. These dreams are now just that, dreams! It is the end of this country. If you think politicians are corrupt now, you haven't seen anything yet. I can't help but choke back tears as I watch our whole world fall apart. If you believe this is the only country that will feal this wrath you are wrong. Everybody will suffer until corporations have total control of the world. God dam corporations!

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Misoir]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

There is no recourse now, even if we wanted to do something we would be stopped by corporations and their crooney's. It's over, kiss your arse good-bye. Can anyone say Work-Camp?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by tommy_boy

Court today rejects a century of history when it treats the distinction between corporate and individual campaign spending as an invidious novelty born of Austin v. Michi-gan Chamber of Commerce, 494 U. S. 652 (1990). Relying largely on individual dissenting opinions, the majority blazes through our precedents, overruling or disavowing a body of case law including FEC v. Wisconsin Right to Life, Inc., 551 U. S. 449 (2007) (WRTL), McConnell v. FEC, 540 U. S. 93 (2003), FEC v. Beaumont, 539 U. S. 146 (2003), FEC v. Massachusetts Citizens for Life, Inc., 479 U. S. 238 (1986) (MCFL), NRWC, 459 U. S. 197, and California Medical Assn. v. FEC, 453 U. S. 182 (1981).

Today, folks, Corporatist Conservatism bent the US Citizen over from behind.

Thanks for that Tommy_Boy

Let me add to your post.

Here is a tidbit from FEC vs Wisconsin Right to Life. Read the opinions

From Wikipedia

In 2002, the Congress passed the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act ("McCain-Feingold") to regulate money in public election campaigns. One provision of the legislation limited "issue ads," those ads using a candidate's name with regards to a particular issue, such as abortion. Section 203 prohibited issue ads within 30 days of a primary election and 60 days of a general election. In McConnell v. Federal Election Commission, the Supreme Court upheld section 203 and other sections of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act against a facial challenge that the law was unconstitutional. This left a significant open question about whether the FEC could constitutionally apply (enforce) the law.

Wisconsin Right to Life Inc., a nonprofit advocacy group was running ads urging voters to contact their Senators and urge them to avoid filibusters of judicial nominees. The WRTL sought to run their ads through the 2004 General Election; however the McCain-Feingold Act prohibited them from using corporate money to run ads that close to an election. The law was created to weaken the power of the national Political Action Committees. In McConnell v. FEC the court had upheld Congress' ability to regulate "express advocacy" ads. However the WRTL argued that their ads were "issue ads" and did not specifically advocate any particular candidate. They argued that Congress lack a compelling interest to interfere with the First Amendment. The FEC however countered that the ads were "sham issue ads", still having a goal of altering the outcome of the election.

The District Court rejected the FEC's argument and refused to delve into the matter of the intent and underlying meaning of the ads as that would be impractical and would "have a chilling effect on protected speech." The District court only reviewed that actual content of the ad. In doing so the court found that they were not sham ads and did not express specific advocacy for a candidate. Finally they found that the government lacked a compelling interest to abridge free speech.
[edit] Ruling

The question before the court was; Is the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act's ban on the use of corporate treasury funds for political advertisements in the 60 days before an election unconstitutional as applied to advertisements that do not explicitly endorse or oppose a candidate? The Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision, crafted a major exception to the limitations on broadcast ads within 30 days of a primary or 60 days of a general election. The court ruled that unless an ad could not reasonably be interpreted as anything other than an ad urging the support or defeat of a candidate, it was eligible for an "as applied" exception to the McCain-Feingold limits on issue ads close to an election.

The decision of the court by Chief Justice John G. Roberts is most notable for its strong language (it concludes "Enough is enough") and for demonstrating a skepticism of campaign finance regulation that was absent in McConnell. Roberts' opinion, however, was joined only by Justice Samuel Alito. The rest of the majority consisted of Justices Antonin Scalia, Anthony Kennedy, and Clarence Thomas, who would have gone further and simply reversed McConnell altogether.

Justices John Paul Stevens, Stephen Breyer, David Souter, and Ruth Bader Ginsberg dissented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice piece of work right everyone, did you read it?

Who dissented.......The bleeding heart Liberals. Who would have gone even further? 3 of three of the 5 Conservatives, who was skeptical about it as a concept.

It's the worst possible smoking gun scenario.

Today was a Mushroom cloud compare to a smoking gun.

It's important that every American understand this. If you could talk to a turn of the 20th century constitutional scholar, he would tell say, "why in heavens name made you undo 100 years of battle to help you?" A consumer from those days would tell you, are crazy, and screwed.

Read all the references.

Most of all todays decision then follow it.

Ziggy Strange

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CyberStray

I agree dude. No way will I vote for a democrat but republicans have now lost my vote. They literally have locked in a two party system now. I am going to re-register as a libertarian asap. I was always socially liberal and fiscally conservative anyways.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
McCain-Feingold are like any other types of regulations, which have often been attacked by certain corporate-backed forms of conservatism. While you may think of a regulation as a burden to doing business or an added expense, what they really are are protections from corporate jackals or negligence.

The recent economic meltdown was ushered in by deregulation in the banking sector. This Supreme Court act is just another form of deregulation designed to appease the corporations that absolutely do not want the American sheeple to have any further say in their own electorate process. All we'll get now is corporate shills and the mega-$$ backers paying their way into public office.

That's pretty much what we're seeing now over at Faux News, and their constant hyping of Palin and Huckabee.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystrange

Here is the political solution if you believe it is possible. A constitutional amendment stating that a corporation is not a person and has none of the rights reserved for persons under the constitution. The only rights a corporation or company would have would be the rights given to it by the state it is incorporated in. Federal laws restricting corporations would also apply. A corporation would have to incorporate in every state it did business in and also pay taxes. This will never happen.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Time for a Simpsons quote:

Doris: Eternal darkness. Well, that's just great.

Apu: Listen, someone's got to get that Mr. Burns. Where is that gun-
toting lowlife when you need one?

---

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BillfromCovina

Well that's never gonna happen.

Why would corporations let it?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
How long until Lockheed-Martin's senator calls for war against China... that's the kind of insanity we'll be eventually looking at. Defense Contractors buying elected office to create new clients and new enemies.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I consider myself both a staunch conservative and a Thomas Jefferson style patriot and I am incensed by this Supreme Court ruling. If I was not aware of who had ruled in favor of this, I would have never believed it.

I do find it interesting, however, that this ruling was handed down less than 48 hours after the PEOPLE spoke up in Massacusettes and took away the Super Majority held by the Democrats in the Senate. This ruling came down, as if in response, to say,"Remember who is really in charge here and it is not you."

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I'm sorry but I don't see that anything will be any different than it has been. TPTB are still in control just like before, nothing has changed except they can now move more freely in the open.

As far as voters, the majority will continue to vote however the MSM tells them. A few people will continue to actually look into the issues and make informed choices. If they try to spread their knowledge no one will listen. What really has changed?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join