It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Removes Limits on Corporate, Labor Donations to Campaigns

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by seethelight
reply to post by Canis Lupus

forget all your bs conspiracies... this will actually destroy America

Destroy?

This is how it has been for who knows how long (I don't).

Might be a violation of the first amendment, but I guess it also means

Bribes Are Okay

It is NOT government elected by the people (well it is, but severely hampered).

Yuck.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Great! now it's official, country of the Corporations, by the Corporations and for the profitability of the Corporations. No place left for humans I'm afraid. Democracy for Corporations, subjection for people.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Legalized Bribery and Treason - plain and simple.

But what do they care, really?

As it's been proven time and time again (Ed and Elaine Brown, Unapportioned Taxes, every CNN pole), they know they can do whatever they please TO us, and we'll do nothing but cower in our corners of toasters, steel-belts, entertainment and servitude until we fry.

There should be 10 million people on their doorstep RIGHT NOW demanding this be overturned...let alone designating it what it is...Bribery and Treason, but we are all very well aware of what's really going to happen, aren't we...NOTHING.

What a joke. Who gives a ... we get what we deserve. I'm frickin' outa here.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

[edit on 21-1-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

My God what do we have to do now...get rid of the corruption in the Supreme Court...who owns these idiots anyway?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

[edit on 21-1-2010 by tooo many pills]

Unfortunately the Declaration of Independence stands for nothing anymore. We are now too polarized of a society with left vs right instead of right vs wrong. We are going to stand by idly until one person, who has the conviction to start a march to D.C. comes forth. At that point, i believe, many will follow suit. Until then enjoy the boob tube. It is our only reality.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Looks like Obama got outflanked.

This could be a death blow to democracy.

marg said it looks like the (conservative controlled) Senate has overstepped its powers - and asked what can be done...

Something MUST be done!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I support the supreme court decision. The supreme court has the job of protecting the constitution and they have finally decided to selectively enforce it... yes indeed the freedom of speech does exist for everyone and really is that important. So if you don't like the decision then don't worry, that is why we have the ability to amend the constitution. The really obvious solution to supporting both the freedom of speech and fighting fascism is to not vote for people who get huge donations from bankers lawyers. Just look at the donations section at:
www.treygraysonforsenate.com...

Also see the blog link entitled "Trey Grayson Help the Little People" or something like that.

Clearly the man is a pure-breed fascist. And yet the guy may still end up winning against Ron Paul's son Rand Paul. Its ridiculous that anyone could vote for Grayson after looking at his donations. If the people do, they are getting exactly what they should expect, a fascist. So that is why I claim the system is working exactly as designed... the people vote for fascism and they get fascism. No surprise at all. Yes, congresspeople will be even more owned by the corporation as before after this decision. And yes, the people who vote have every opportunity to know who is getting the big bucks from the corporations when they visit the polling place.

Even in Massachusetts all they did was replace one pro-fascist with another in an effort to change the system to a friendlier fascism. Oh well, personally I've decided to move to join the Free State Project since I can't live with the decisions of my neighbors and friends all that well... they are all pretty much either interested in seeing me enslaved by the corporation or they don't care enough to vote otherwise or take any action whatsoever of any kind to prevent it from happening. Well whats going on actually starting to ruin a lot of people's lives so it really is that important now. The sad fact is that politics really do matter... I wish I realized that sooner.

This supreme court decision is a good one because those who are voting for pro-fascist candidates (the ones with an (R) or (D) next to them) can be punished faster for their decision now and hopefully it will get them to figure out Republicans and Democrats are both advocates of fascism and heavy-handed legislation faster and therefore the problem will resolve itself faster... either by the system collapsing or by Americans finally getting it. Lets get the pain over with. America got 40,000 new laws in 2009 and frankly they deserve 40 million. They are the ones who are voting for this nonsense by voting in fascists into power like that guy in MA they just voted in named Brown.

The fact that Brown was elected proves states like Massachusetts are fully and truly hopeless... destined for ruin. 51% of the state claims to be Independent yet despite the fact they clearly hate Republicans (for good reason) they voted for one any way. They really are that stupid and self-defeatist.

And I've tried to say this on ATS but very few seem to get it yet... by withholding votes only for "people who can win due to popularity" you are just shooting yourself in the foot. The only logical way to vote is to vote for the best candidate, and it is downright suicidal self-defeatism to vote otherwise. Its just so obvious we've got this self-defeatist election system in America and that is one of our biggest problems... though clearly not the only one because if you look at other countries the multi-party systems don't seem to have saved their people from fiat money supplies and other harmful things... but do they sell out the way American politicians do under the self-defeatist system where you only vote for a candidate who is popular?

If you don't like the idea of politicians collecting millions from big questionable corporations and lobbying firms, don't vote for one. I know I wouldn't.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by truthquest]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Is it in the best interest of the country to allow companies to purchase politicians as they see fit?

Individuals cannot, in general terms, afford to buy the politicians so the politicians will be company owned.

Perhaps we should pass a law that the politicians have to wear labels of who bought and paid for them (kind of like a NASCAR car paint job.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

IMPORTANT!!!

Well, I must say this is quite a bit of sad news! If ever the Supreme Court made a bad ruling, I would say it is this one. Here is what I would suggest as an appropriate response:

1) Somebody with a love for America and a love for media needs to step up and start acquiring radio and news outlets. Start your own public radio stations. Perhaps you thought that isn't very exciting work, but I know of several old retired buggars here in New Zealand that have done that very thing. They got the equipment, went through the application process, and now have a new public access radio station almost up and running. You NEED to get radio that is not owned by the establishment, and have it written in the charter that it can never be owned or controlled by any special interest.

2) You need to start something like an "American Statesman Association" where you recruit, educate, and sponsor excellent candidates for the top 545 elected positions in Washington, and also the top elected positions in each state. It wouldn't be correct to try and change things with any other means other than taking over the system using the system's rules. Find some freedom-loving citizens there who have the heart and qualifications to be "political generals." If the only qualified and willing men in your country are those who have a internationalist, corporatist mentality, then indeed you are doomed, because there is no viable opposition.

By these two methods you can take back your country. Look for some suitable "political generals" and formulate a strategy. You need some people who understand how things work now, and also know how to rally people to a new vision of how things should be instead. You must also get free arms of political expression and communication. You must vigorously educate the masses about what it means to be free and what it means to govern as a people. You must stop thinking that you can just elect somebody that you really don't know, and magically that person is going to act honestly and with integrity on behalf of the people at large. That has rarely happened. Freedom is something that must be constantly fought for, as long as there are those who are constantly looking for ways to rob you of it.

Let me say also that any attempt to use forceful means is destined to fail, and even if you succeeded in thwarting the existing people, what would happen next? Who would run the show then? Think about those militia groups... you know the guys who drill all day long in the woods, planning ways to overthrow things. Would you really want those guys running things? And if a bunch of people just stormed the government institutions, what would happen after that? Imagine for a moment the sheer chaos that would ensue, the fierce violent competition. Factions would form, and disagreement would be rampant. America is way too fragmented ideologically for any kind of consensus to come forth out of any non-political take over. Think of the movie Mad Max and you will get a picture of how things would go. No, the very best chance you have is to work diligently for fighting fire with fire, electing men/women who can truly make a difference. You need to find people who are "unbuyable."

Here are some practical ideas to help:

1) Write a movie script about how this could be successfully done and get it produced as an independent feature.
2) Start a national network of clubs/schools, run from homes, where the members work to educate themselves in all areas they will need, and formulate a plan to win elections all over the country.
3) Start a network of public radio stations in major metropolitan areas that can serve as one form of communication in this regard. These must have clear charters that guarantee they will be impervious to take over or infiltration.

Basically, this is a war whose weapons must be words, ideas, pictures, videos, slogans, campaigns, and local & state ballot issues. The vehicles must be radio, websites, emails, newsletters, editorials, door-to-door, rallies, speeches, movies, talk shows, etc.

The problem is, everyone has their understandable and yet non-effective ranting and moaning, while at the same time having no agreement on approach, no agreement on a plan, no agreement on leadership, etc. In fact, where is your George Washington? Your Thomas Jefferson? Your Benjamin Franklin? Perhaps that person is you or someone you know.

It seems that the vast majority of elected officials comprise only those who wish to destroy the Republic, if they haven't already done so.

Your goal must be to get enough people to stop caring about acquiring more money, bigger houses, longer vacations, and a never-ending mass of stuff... and instead getting them to care about preserving the freedom to have self-determination. This will take, above all, a consistent message and vision, and effective COMMUNICATION.

Perhaps some of you should go and visit Ron Paul, and go with a plan for "cleaning house" with a whole new batch of Americans that are willing to do things more like he does. Surely, if the republic is worthy of saving, there are at least several hundred men who are like Paul. Ask Paul to start a school and to join a movement of reformation. There were many that worked so hard to get him elected as President, and yet, as President he would have been greatly hampered. Get Paul to head up the Ron Paul Academy, whose purpose is to train up a bunch of political operatives that can go out and take the country back.

So many people just want to sit back and let one guy (Ron Paul) do all the work, but that is not how things work in a Republic... in a Monarchy yes, but in a Republic no. He needs a team of men/women who think like he does (or even better), and a team of men/women who will go out, win elections, and work for a common agenda.

If you want a government "of the people," then you need to have "the people" in government.

If you want a government "by the people," then you need for "the people" to actually govern.

If you want a government "for the people," then you need "the people" to make decisions that truly benefit the people at large.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by downisreallyup]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Now we're going down the #ter. Great.
Everyone can expect something along the lines of wall-e's buy-n-large.
I wish i had enough money to by a whole government and it's interests.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
For everyone saying that the Supreme court finally upheld the constitution well that is fine and all. How much of the Bill of Rights is actually upheld now. I am going to quote the movie Airheads as satire here but you will get my point. "Next time you think you're free, try walking into a deli and taking a piss on the counter." This ruling just destroyed our country. So how many of you think that corporations can put hypnotic messages into their ads legally now? We the people have been sold out by selectively upholding the first amendment.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The U.S. is already a corporation, time to play catch up guys & gals.

Take a look at my signature.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Looks like Obama got outflanked.

This could be a death blow to democracy.

marg said it looks like the (conservative controlled) Senate has overstepped its powers - and asked what can be done...

Something MUST be done!!!

Outflanked indeed.

How did this happen? I bet George Jr. is having a good laugh right now.

The American people continue to pay the price of their political apathy. We have let our education systems fail us, we have let our political system evolve into a cesspool of indiference and we have let corporate greed become our new masters.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
How could anyone say the court just upheld the Constitution?

THIS IS FASCISM.

READ IT. THIS IS FACISM.

The joining of Business and Government.

I just got home listening to Sean Hannity say this is a victory for Free Speech. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Corporations can now sink as much money as they want into adds and can DESTROY ANY POLITICIAN or MAKE THEM A SAINT.

Or entire political process has finally been COMPLETELY comprimised.

You thought it was corrupt before? Well it's over now. Don't bother with the elections anymore as no one will have a chance that SPEAKS AGAINST CORPORATIONS.

For instance, if I decided to run...not only would I not get any airtime...I would also be destroyed and or ignored by corporate money which is basically limitless.

THIS INCLUDES THE BANKS.

HOLY HELL PEOPLE HOW CAN U SAY THIS UPHOLDS THE CONSTITUTION.

THIS DESTROYS THE VERY ESSENCE OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take back your country. It was just taken from you. You now have NO REPRESENTATION.

NONE

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Empty words, due to empty enforcement. The words are only as strong as WE THE PEOPLE make them.

But certainly worth a star people.

EDIT: And you're right David...we should be foaming at the mouth in anger.

This is NOT freedom of speech...it has nothing to do with freedom of speech...influence maybe, but not freedom of speech. See last post.

Keep starrin', flaggin' AND DIGGING people...this needs to be seen.

Digg Here

[edit on 21-1-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Yes indeed, though a victory for free speech, it opens up pandora's box of political abuse and potentially creates easier path for facism in government.

However, every situation is a dual edged sword. If, and that's a big if, american voters wake up and realize this potential corporate sponsorship of their preferred politicians is unhealthy and dangerous to our freedoms and the welfare of the lower and middle class, perhaps they will revolt in direct opposition to these corporate chosen ones and stick that corporate money in a corporate orifice by selecting the "other" guy, IF there is one.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by VenusOnTheHalfShell

However, every situation is a dual edged sword. If, and that's a big if, american voters wake up and realize this potential corporate sponsorship of their preferred politicians is unhealthy and dangerous to our freedoms and the welfare of the lower and middle class, perhaps they will revolt in direct opposition to these corporate chosen ones and stick that corporate money in a corporate orifice by selecting the "other" guy, IF there is one.

It will now be nearly impossible. When all the media is corporately owned...and now those SAME corporations can spend unlimited amounts of money to trash or promote a politician....how can an honest person have a chance?

They can't.

If this ruling stands our country is gone. Might as well burn the constitution.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretGoldfish

The decision to strike down a poorly constructed law concerning

spending limits on political campaigns seem like a good move.

I decided I really like it because I understand Sen Chuck Schumer

from NY does not like it.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Wait when private owned interest starts running the campaign for their favorite whores in Washington, you know, the way things are going is not going to be any need of violence to stop the government, the government is going to implode due to unrestricted competition and interest.

We the people all need to do grab the popcorn and enjoy the show.

Because a joke and a circus is what politics has become and getting worst.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join