It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deny ignorance and tell the truth, is that even possible? Desirable?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
If you want to sell books, newspapers, movies and television shows, or rise up the political ladder, succeed in industry, grow religious institutions, teach at universities, pilot aircraft, become a scientist, etc, then you can’t tell the truth. That’s presuming you know, or more precisely, “think” you know the truth to begin with.

The truth would bring all that we value in our lives to an abrupt end. So why do we pretend to want to know the truth?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

The truth would bring all that we value in our lives to an abrupt end. So why do we pretend to want to know the truth?

i think a better question might be why do we pretend those things in our life hold such value?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sleeper

That right there is the TRUTH my friend. If we actually found the truth what would we do with our spare time? ATS would implode. Hell the whole world might.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sleeper

Many people do want to know the truth.

Unfortuantelty corporate/political success and truth are totally incompatible.
Just ask most politicians, many of whom actually get into politics to actually make a change and try and make a difference and not go the way of most politicians and become corrupt and greedy, unfortuantelty most fail miserably.

I don't think the truth would ruin everyone or bring everyone's life to an abrupt end, but i do agree that most could not deal with it.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by CSquared288

Yeah...exactly...maybe if we knew the truth we'd find things worth valuing...instead of this stupid world where all our values revolve around pathetic materialistic perspectives...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by CSquared288

i think a better question might be why do we pretend those things in our life hold such value?

What else we got? One man's truth is another man's lie. Best try to enjoy whatever lie makes us happy.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste
reply to post by sleeper

That right there is the TRUTH my friend. If we actually found the truth what would we do with our spare time? ATS would implode. Hell the whole world might.

We all know the truth down deep inside, but we have become accustomed to hide it because of fear and ridicule and now most of us are confused about what that truth might be. Conformity is a safe place.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Best try to enjoy whatever lie makes us happy
NEVER...ignorance is not bliss for me...and I will never chose to willingly live in a matrix...even though the world seems perfectly happy to live like this...but that's what makes us so easily manipulatable...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TLCOB
reply to post by sleeper

Many people do want to know the truth.

Unfortuantelty corporate/political success and truth are totally incompatible.
Just ask most politicians, many of whom actually get into politics to actually make a change and try and make a difference and not go the way of most politicians and become corrupt and greedy, unfortuantelty most fail miserably.

They do this believing that they have the truth, but do they? Many people do what "they" think is right. Most tyrants once believed that they were right in what they did/do.

I don't think the truth would ruin everyone or bring everyone's life to an abrupt end, but i do agree that most could not deal with it.

The truth wouldn’t ruin anyone, it would change them. And we all know how much we love change.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I guess it comes down to whether you believe in absolutes or not. Truth can be created within fiction, but can fiction be created within truth? Think about that one.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by sleeper

Originally posted by sleeper
If you want to sell books, newspapers, movies and television shows, or rise up the political ladder, succeed in industry, grow religious institutions, teach at universities, pilot aircraft, become a scientist, etc, then you can’t tell the truth.

Agreed and what a grim topsy-turvy world to live in that the liar seems on the whole to ise faster and is more successful than the honest soul. Even in modern fiction it seems that the people who “wish to get rich or die trying “ are the ones that attract much respect and yet an human rights activist or an animal right campaigner tends to be looked upon with a certain degree of scepticism or suspicion.

That’s presuming you know, or more precisely, “think” you know the truth to begin with.

I could not say I know the truth or even be so bold as to say I think that I know the truth because in my word the truth is as deep as a mine shaft in that I believe it is possible that there is a hidden government, hidden reasons for suppressing the extraterrestrial phenomenon and much more.

I suspect what you say is true and had envisioned a worst case scenario in that we are chattels and owned but even then I still would want to know the truth not because the truth would st me free but because if I have the truth I can make informed choices and decide for myself what it is I want to do about it in the negative or positive.

It is great to see you posting again, it was your posts combined with Mr Lear’s that finally made me decide to register, welcome back

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

They do this believing that they have the truth, but do they? Many people do what "they" think is right. Most tyrants once believed that they were right in what they did/do.

Well that's the thing, everyone's truth is so different and is based on individual interpretation and perception.
And yes most people, even when they're wrong (but who decides they're wrong) think they're right.

It certainly is a headache.

The truth wouldn’t ruin anyone, it would change them. And we all know how much we love change.

Indeed LOL

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
I guess it comes down to whether you believe in absolutes or not. Truth can be created within fiction, but can fiction be created within truth? Think about that one.

In this world, truth has no absolutes and therefore makes up most of the fiction many believe to be truth, such as the truths we find in religious beliefs and the sciences that rule over our lives.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

In this world, truth has no absolutes

Interesting qualifier, "in this world".

Does reality have an absolute, anywhere? And if there is no absolute, ultimate reality, how can there possibly be an absolute, objective truth?

How would you ever "know" with 100% certainty that you're experiencing absolute, ultimate reality? In fact, how are you ever 100% certain about anything?

Hey, I'm just askin'.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Well,it depends what you mean with the word "reality".If it's reality that Obama is a reptilian or if it's reality that "there is no spoon".

This is a philosofical question and,in my opinion,the problem in ATS is that the majority takes a philosofy and turns it into a theory and then,somehow,the theory turns into reality.
Personally i don't follow that motive.

Anyway,personally i'm a truth-junkie and i like it.

EDIT:I typed "there is a spoon" but it actually goes like "there is no spoon".Fixed.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Oceanborn]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I am stunned sleeper, welcome back my friend, its o so good to see you here again.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Oceanborn
This is a philosofical question and,in my opinion,the problem in ATS is that the majority takes a philosofy and turns it into a theory and then,somehow,the theory turns into reality.

Far be it from me to get into a philosophical discussion with a Greek.
But yes, it all fits into epistemology.

How do we know we know what we know? And if we don't know what we know, how can we hope to be aware of what we don't know? I don't know. In fact, "I don't know" ought to be my signature line. But I'd have to add, "and you don't either". Then, that would be a declaration that I know you don't know.

This is why beer was invented. Not that I know.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67

I suspect what you say is true and had envisioned a worst case scenario in that we are chattels and owned but even then I still would want to know the truth not because the truth would st me free but because if I have the truth I can make informed choices and decide for myself what it is I want to do about it in the negative or positive.

It is great to see you posting again, it was your posts combined with Mr Lear’s that finally made me decide to register, welcome back

The truth doesn't set us free, it would spoil the fun if it did. Deceptions set us free, free to believe and do whatever we wish to do and believe in. The truth patiently waits for us to crawl out of the mud when we tire of playing in it, usually at death. Unfortunately, most of us have to make choices within the indoctrination of society while we live, less we be ridiculed and shamed by that same society. Thanks for the welcome!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

In this world, truth has no absolutes

Interesting qualifier, "in this world".

Does reality have an absolute, anywhere? And if there is no absolute, ultimate reality, how can there possibly be an absolute, objective truth?

Like good intentions, truth exists all around us, but how many people have been able to capture virtue and not get caught with their hand in the cookie jar?

How would you ever "know" with 100% certainty that you're experiencing absolute, ultimate reality? In fact, how are you ever 100% certain about anything?

Hey, I'm just askin'.

That's why many people wear shades, the light is too bright.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacevisitor

I am stunned sleeper, welcome back my friend, its o so good to see you here again.

I'm trying to stir up trouble with the paradoxal dragon called truth. Many claim to have it and yet the world is muddled, as if truth had anything to do with it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join