It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More bias in US against Muslims than other faiths

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Atheism is pretty much a religion to a lot of Atheists. You left out Pagans(Such as Odin worshipers,Satanists etc),they're a religious minority also.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
See the above post that's what i was hoping for
However you may continue as you wish though

Originally posted by AshleyD
Statistically that makes sense. The majority is Christian so they're not going to be wary of other Christians. Due to the strong evangelical numbers, they typically support Judaism. Buddhism is known as being peaceful for the most part so there is nothing terribly intimidating about them.

There are strong evangelical numbers?
Really?
If true that's kind of dissapointing.

Since Islam is the minority, they're obviously going to be the least popular. This would also include atheists who obviously do not accept religions. So among those polled, you have the non Muslim religious members 'voting against' Islam but not their own as well as the atheists who would vote against them all.

That is true, also i'm sure current events on the news don't help either.

With that said, according to polls, statically atheists have it even worse than Muslims. Because you have an approximate 80% theistic population, most of them are going to be wary towards the 20% non theistic population.

Example: atheism.about.com...

I guess they weren't included though since atheism is not always considered a religion.

Interesting find, I didn't even ever consider that

I think as time goes by though things will change, I am guessing a few generations from now number of athesits will increase exponentially.
At least in the western hemisphere

I may be wrong in this but I think evangelicalism may play a large role in extreme views, which can prove to be contagious which would also help affect demographic stats.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Do you think Pagan and Neo pagan religions(Like Odinism)will increase in numbers?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Well, no one said that Islam is evil, but many of us are thinking it.

Do you know anything at all about the history of Islam? From its conception by Muhammad, it has been a religion of conquest. Your claim that Islam does not seek to rule the world seems to be based on pure ignorance of the subject matter, because the radicals who are causing all the problems certainly do want Islam to control the world, and they publicly say so often.

You complain about lack of intelligent discussion because two women on the thread relate their experience with Muslims, and yet your justification for your opinions seem to be based on your own personal experiences with Muslims.

Just out of curiosity, are you a Muslim?

Then you seem to imply that we are a bunch of backwoods yokels who don't have enough personal experiences with different ethnic groups, or that our experience is inferior to your own. Don't you think we might consider that to be a bit insulting?

People are telling you how and why they feel the way they feel about Islam, they are being honest, and giving intelligent valid reasons. It is not their lack of intelligence, it is your lack of willingness to tolerate the opinions of others, even when the opinions of those others are based on sound reasons.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Well, no one said that Islam is evil, but many of us are thinking it.

Ummm.. skim through the thread once more

Do you know anything at all about the history of Islam? From its conception by Muhammad, it has been a religion of conquest.

All abrahamic religions are religions of conquest

Your claim that Islam does not seek to rule the world seems to be based on pure ignorance of the subject matter, because the radicals who are causing all the problems certainly do want Islam to control the world, and they publicly say so often.

Religious leaders and individuals are two different things
We have evolved..... somewhat

Once again all abrahamic religions are about conquest

You complain about lack of intelligent discussion because two women on the thread relate their experience with Muslims, and yet your justification for your opinions seem to be based on your own personal experiences with Muslims.

Not my personal experiences with muslims no
Just me
And islam being evil and them wanting to take over were not said by the two women, once again skim through the thread.

Just out of curiosity, are you a Muslim?

Born hindu in a hindu family, I do not have one muslim in my family tree.
Although I may sometimes practise religion only as a traditionalist, I generally do not believe in organized religion.

Then you seem to imply that we are a bunch of backwoods yokels who don't have enough personal experiences with different ethnic groups, or that our experience is inferior to your own. Don't you think we might consider that to be a bit insulting?

Perhaps, do you think some of the statements made are however MORE insulting? lol, The very statements I addressed in the same post that you may have found offensive.

Also, I was hoping not to get into personal experience, on one post I felt like I had to so even I got sucked into it.
But as i said, continue the discussion as you see fit.

People are telling you how and why they feel the way they feel about Islam, they are being honest, and giving intelligent valid reasons. It is not their lack of intelligence, it is your lack of willingness to tolerate the opinions of others, even when the opinions of those others are based on sound reasons.

I do apologize for not thinking that all 'valid' reasons were intelligent responses, but then again... that was MY opinion.
The thread took the direction of opinions after all did it not?

Bottom line, to me at least, Generalizing is never done by an intelligent man/woman. This is called making a fallacious syllogism.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

While most people express a belief in a God of some kind, and a majority believe in Christ, few go to church, and few have any strong attachments to Christianity.

I would even go so far as to say a majority of people in the U.S. have beliefs that can more accurately be described as new age, somewhere between Christianity, Buddhism, and an open belief in spirituality, and a smattering of Jedi. I think you will also find a great many people who have low opinions of a great many Christian denominations, including Catholicism.

What is so hard to believe that Islam is looked upon unfavorably because of the wide spread use of terrorist tactics, and the way they treat their women?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I did scan through the thread, I didn't see the exact comment you were referring to.

Christianity is not a religion of conquest, and was not when it was first formed. Catholicism, a branch of Christianity, is, or at least was, a religion of conquest, but the rest of the denominations of Christianity are not.

Judaism sought to conquer Israel, and gather wealth, but they weren't intent on taking over the world the way Islam intends to do. Judaism only came up with the idea that the son of God would put them in charge of the world, with the whole chosen people thing.

Islam, even while Muhammad was alive, sought to conquer the world. Islam very unique among all religions in its efforts to conquer the world. The other mainstream religions only want to spread the word of their beliefs.

When you are talking about religion, it is all opinion, except perhaps some of the history.

Oh yeah, I meant to add Hinduism into the New World mix.

For reference, see British pop stars.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I'm curious sir, you seem well informed on the subject of Islam World

Domination.

What Imperialistic Growth has a Islamic Country done lately.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
yeah, your right. We Americans have totally misjudged a religion that sentences 13 year old girls to 90 lashes with a whip and throws her in jail for have a cell phone!

www.heraldsun.com.au...

Yeah, I guess we're all just a bunch of bigots! who doesnt like a religion that teaches nothing but hatred and advocates terrorism!?!?!?!?!?

Come on people! enough of this political correctness crap! Islam, or more precisely sharia law, is nothing but barbaric savagery. Are all muslims like this? of course not, but way too many are and until that changes anything muslim can please stay away from the USA as far as I am concerned.

I dont have a problem embracing other cultures and I dont think people in america have this problem either. I do think there are too many people like modern academia who are way too quick to allow an oppressive system to continue in the name of tolerance.

This is my country and if I think your religion is nothing but barbarism then I will choose not to interact with people of that group. I can do what I please and I please not to be bothered by a bunch of raving psychotics with a scimitar!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm really not surprised by the article. Its kind of sad really, that most people are not able to distinguish between normal, everyday people, and the few radicals that make the news.

I live in a predominately Christan area, with Jews, Catholics, and Muslims being in the minority. Catholics are kind of common, but Jews and Muslims are not. I've known more Muslims than I have Jews, and I have to say that I would never have been able to tell the difference between the two of them if I hadn't known their religion. Everyone always acted pretty normal.

Having said that, I still don't discount the bad apples. But I don't think the bad apples are exclusive to just Muslims. EVERY group has bad apples.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This is so obvious it probably goes without saying, but there wasn't so much prejudice or bad feeling against Muslims before 9/11. Of course the population of a country that is under attack from another culture is going to become "prejudiced" against those who are perceived as the attackers. The tendency of a population to band together against what is perceived as a common enemy is well documented in history.

9/11 and the perceived threat of Islamic terrorism has served certain American elites very well in helping them consolidate their power.

The worst casualties of the current anti-Islamic wave are, unfortunately, those Muslims who are interested in assimilating into their adopted culture and are for the most part peaceable and law-abiding.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

Besides their continuing efforts to take over India?

How about the ongoing colonization of Africa. Didn't you read about the genocide that was being practiced in Somalia?

I have learned a lot about it, and the more I learn, the less I like.

Yes, the radicals are the minority, but they do a good job of controlling everyone else.

I suspect the men go along with things because they like the arrangements with women. They are all too willing to ignore the activities of the radicals in their midst, and even support them to a degree. The average Muslim is not going to do anything to purge the radicals from their midst until they perceive a real threat.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Right on Poet. Look at how Islam has basically conquered much of Africa in the post colonial era. Look at how Iran and Syria have tried to take over Lebanon ... prior to the Iranians and the Syrians getting involved in the 1970s, Lebanon was majority Maronite Christian.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

When i speak of America's past you always say "oh let's just blame america for the world's problems"

I remember you saying this
now you have become what you have once condemned

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

This is not surprising at all, one person in another thread said that multi-culturalism doesn't work. I found that to be a stupid view, truth is Isolationism doesn't work!

The U.S. was built on multi-ethnicity, and then the immigrants assimilated.

It was not built on multi-culturalism, where the immigrants don't assimilate.

It's a huge difference and a huge problem for many developed nations.

Having large populations that won't assimilate and containing people hostile to the host country will always be a problem and always lead to prejudice and worse.

[edit on 1/21/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I get the impression that most Muslims don't want to intergrate into the society they moved into, instead wanting to impose their own culture upon the already existing one which was created with the sweat, blood and tears of the forefathers of the people who are being accused of the bias. There might be bias against Muslims but surely Muslims can see why this might be? We never seem to hear anything positive about the Muslim faith, even in places where there is no mainstream media as such, places like A.T.S for example. Even the Qur'an seems full of sick behaviours and suggestion from what I've read on this forum. I'm still just about open minded enough to be willing to listen to the positive sides of the Muslim faith but where the hell are those sides and why aren't Muslims telling them?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Hey this is surprising, it comes as no surprise that most americans are plain and simple brainwashed. As another poster pointed out, americans get their info on islam and other religions from JEWISH NEWS STATIONS. the fact that 96% of the world'smedia is owned by jews, should come as no surprise as to why the majority of americans don't even have the lightese clue on islam.

With all due respect to the person who married a muslim man, or the person who helped the muslim girl pack and leave her family, THAT IS NOT ISLAM, I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE TO SAY THAT. There are muslim people but problems arise for all sort of people, just because you witnessed a problem between muslims doesn't mean that is what islam promotes. Same goes for the lady who married an egyptian man.

If you want i can post every crime that happens in thus, and blame it on christianity. would you like that? ya didn't think so. If you want you can post all crimes done by muslims, and i'll post crimes done by christians, we'l see who comes out on top. This is for everyone. I can easily post the stat of the women in america who gets RAPED EVERY 3 MNNUTES. People have to stop listening to the jewish media.

One last thing what army has taken over indonesia, since you all claim islam was spread by the sword, who came and forced all of them to convert. Noone. Get real and wake up you are all brain washed. The bible has more crime then any other book i have ever seen, if you want i can also post those verses. Paul forced entire villages to convert and if they resisted then they were automatically killed. It seems that the majority of u.s citizens are very unaware of the outside world, although there are some very knowledgeable smart and educated people, some who are on this board.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pujols5

Your accusations are false and I am offended.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
You people sound ridiculous! It's like a conversation saying, "Hey, Tigers are cute and cuddly! Why don't people like having them as pets?" Yes, all religions have bad people and good people. Just like all animals have some reason to be on this planet, I just don't want to be too close to them.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni

Oh, "pulease" -- I would not have needed to ever meet a muslim personally to know how they treat women and little girls. Women are kept covered and in the kitchen and the bedroom. They even have to stay in the kitchen until the old fart has finished his meal; the woman gets the leftovers.

well snap. i guess just about every muslim man in my entire family tree are just doing it wrong. Guess my parents shouldn't have immigrated over so they could make more than $3 a day and guess my entire family tree (women too) should not have become top heart doctors and neurosurgeons.

At least I ended up "right". I became the black sheep and ended up a paranoid xenophobe that indulges in ATS while smoking lots of herbs and parties it up with all my non muslim friends. You should see the pure disgust on my family's face. How I disgraced them by not being more like..."them." Screw professional medical care is what I say!

You wouldn't know the surge of pleasure I get every time I walk into a midwestern gas station late at night and watch as all the infidel patrons and workers shush down and allow me free roam of the place to grab my red bull and taquitos and 7 bucks for 2 gallon gas (Given the times of behind the keyboard zealotry and patriotism these days, I think it may be prudent to add that this was all entirely sarcastic and not anywhere close to requiring a threat level fuchsia escalation which would pretty much ruin my plans for an awesome weekend....for the next few years...so stand down soldier, false alert*/Disclaimer>

[edit on 21-1-2010 by spinladen]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join