It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More bias in US against Muslims than other faiths

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

That is good to hear. I knew this girl from work who married a Muslim guy, and he put her through hell. It sounds like what he was mainly devout about is his right to abuse women.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Funny you should post this. There was a cool essay I heard last semester in class. It showed how Muslims were depicted in western cartoons mostly as a terrorist. Forgive me, I can't find this cartoon but none the less they were depicted as the bad guy.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

And you could find all similar articles and more about any faith.

Just don't focus only on Muslim.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Occasionally you do find articles about other faiths. My point was hardly a day goes by without something negative about the Islamic faith.

Perhaps it is the culture and not the faith.

You are free to believe what you want but I just don't see that much negativity with regards to other organized religions.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Anyone who understands what Islam represents in it's pure form understands why this is the case. We do not have Buddhists, Hindus or other religions challenging our very existence for no more than radical ideologies found in their religious discipline. Islam in itself is a violent religion and radical Islam is even more so, people should never be swayed or confused by those who think "we all need to get along" because those who follow Islam do not subscribe to that type of simplistic mindset rooted in Mr. Roger's neighborhood thinking.

Having said that, I do think its a shame that we all can't just get along because many problems would be solved. But it isn't that easy when politics & radicalism are used as a weapon to validate violence. But often times the cold truth is what people need to come to grips with instead of hanging onto invalid philosophys based in mainstream text book teachings.

What the west should know

And while I'm sure there are those out there who sit comfortably in their own self righteousness and think that when they read post like mine that it represents a "racial" aspect, those very people use that to dismiss or validate in their minds what they think is correct because it goes against what mainstream thinking has taught them.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Well yes.

Sort of when he stated "In my country, it is a husband's right to have sex with his wife whenever he wants". To which i replied "but you're in My country now, and it's my right to have you arrested for rape."

Needless to say, it was not a very long relationship.

Interestingly enough though, he and his "friends" seemed to be under the impression that they did not need to learn English to live here, and that being married here, while still married in their home countries, was perfectly acceptable.

Despite what flames may come, I need to differentiate between Americans who become Muslims from Muslims immigrating here strictly for money. That sort really are trash, and I will defend that opinion to the death.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
People don't like what they don't understand, I guess that's true. What do we have against the faiths? Nothing. Just the radical, zealous men who see violence as what is just. It's a sad sight to see when the majority of the world has a common prejudice. Well, the civilized countries that are liable to be duped.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

I do apologize but I think your story is just a case of women needing to be more careful of who they date.

I find your story ridiculous I do apologize
I'm not defending your X he's obviously a piece of..........
But are you not also at fault for not being careful of who you MARRIED????

Sheesh.. I mean I'm careful of I used to date, but not being careful of who you married???

And then people are talking about hookers lol
What christians don't go see hookers? PULEASE
And don't make me mention Catholic priests and the contents of their laptops even... I mean come on

Plz enough with the individual cases I was really hoping for an intelligent and scholarly discussion, instead all I get is mostly redneck responses?

Do you guys see the difference in my opening reply and your replies?
Worlds Apart!

It's so arghh...
I found the article very interesting and was hoping for an intelligent discussion about the findings and look what happened to the thread?

Islam is trying to take over the world, Muslims and a squad of hookers, bla bla bla this and bla bla bla that.

OMG Please stop it!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Ok lets look at American muslims.

How many drive by muslim shootings have you heard on the news.

How many times do Muslims show up on the news for arson? burglary?

How many Muslim gangs are threatening cities?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

your article described prejudice against Muslims by people who never met a Muslim. I simply explained that there could be a fair amount of hate against Muslims even if you DO know a Muslim. That is all.

Then again, go hang out at the Mosque in Atlantic City for a few days, and tell me how peaceful and loving it's members are. I can guarantee you, you would feel the same way i do.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You seem to be missing my point.

The article described is referencing that more people view Islam in a negative light than other faiths.

I merely pointed out how Islam is portrayed in the media and how this could lead to the negative impression that Islam is getting. So I referenced few current news articles that reflect negatively on Islam.

I don't agree with your assertion that other religions get as much negative press as Islam. Yes, people of other faiths do bad things also.

I'm not trying to suggest that we don't have violence in the US. I don't really see how your comments about drive by shootings etc are to be included in this discussion.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

She wouldn't be the first woman to get duped into marrying a man who she thought was one kind of person, but turned out to be another entirely, and she won't be the last.

I am sorry if you don't like our replies, but you don't seem to be examining the details.

Islamic violence and terrorism are being conducted all over the planet on an almost daily basis. There is nothing irrational at all about not trusting people who practice a religion where the faithful regularly blow up innocent people in public places in order to further their political agendas.

No other religion is killing school girls and their families for daring to send the girls to school.

While Catholicism was once just as violent, that has been several centuries ago now.

I think the bigger question is, why would anyone trust someone who practices such a violent faith?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

I rather resent your remarks; I made my opinions purely by personal experience. I also realize a muslim MAN can be decent and respectful to a lot of people --- EVERYONE BUT WOMEN.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Oh, "pulease" -- I would not have needed to ever meet a muslim personally to know how they treat women and little girls. Women are kept covered and in the kitchen and the bedroom. They even have to stay in the kitchen until the old fart has finished his meal; the woman gets the leftovers.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Funny you should post this. There was a cool essay I heard last semester in class. It showed how Muslims were depicted in western cartoons mostly as a terrorist. Forgive me, I can't find this cartoon but none the less they were depicted as the bad guy.

Mmm well, do you have any names or links of these Western cartoons? I've lived quite a few years on earth and have never or heard of cartoons about terrorist muslims. On the other hand, muslims do make cartoons about the bad Americans.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I'm really kind of wondering what type of "scholarly" discussion you wanted to have when your topic is subjective and opinion based?

And I guess I should apologize for responding directly to the points in your article, but as you posted wanting to know what others think; and i posted what I thunk- then I see no need.

What i do see is that you had a set mind on the subject, and are getting defensive when the majority of posts are disagreeing with your opinion...in which case, perhaps you want to reword your title? As in " I think this prejudice is wrong, please post if you agree with me".

You seem to have had a very limited interaction with those of the faith in question, else you would completely understand our feelings on the subject.

As in, many people in the West have a negative view of Muslims. Gee, I wonder why. Is this really an article that needs special discussion?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Religion as a whole is a farce.

Believe in yourself and your ability to survive.

Outside of that, use Common Sense AND Common Courtesy. Long lost arts to many people, from my own observations.

You ARE what your attitude is. Choose your 'tude each and every day, and don't let anyone try to get you down. Period. Their 'tudes are not necessarily your 'tude: too bad for them.

My religion is simple: Be good, be respectful, be greatful, be smart, and be aware.

I don't need a "God" or diety of any sort for my religion, nor do I need any Holy Days or Holidays to celebrate; it's just what I do.

Any

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cjcord
I'm really kind of wondering what type of "scholarly" discussion you wanted to have when your topic is subjective and opinion based?

Ummm a discussion without statements like islam is evil, muslim are trying to take over, and such extreme views.

And you may reply and say ya but if people have these views then that's on what they would base their vote on.
True, but I wanted to discuss the findings and discuss about it on a more intelligent discussion.

Perhaps I was wrong in thinking that 'scholarly' discussions may very include paranoid delusional statements like Islam is evil or they are trying to take over.

If you had a panel of scholars and theologists do you think such statements would come out of their mouths?

And I guess I should apologize for responding directly to the points in your article, but as you posted wanting to know what others think; and i posted what I thunk- then I see no need.

Again let's say there was a panel would one of them said oh my experience there was this muslim guy who did this or that?

As far as i'm concerned the topic is bias against muslims, or rather what I wanted was an intelligent debate on the findings, you only need to refer to my opening reply to see what I mean if im not being that coherent.

What i do see is that you had a set mind on the subject, and are getting defensive when the majority of posts are disagreeing with your opinion...in which case, perhaps you want to reword your title? As in " I think this prejudice is wrong, please post if you agree with me".

As per rules on this section of ATS thread titles must match article headline. There is no opinion of mine in the thread title.

It's not about disagreeing with my opinions, it was about talking about the findings as opposed to individual stories about INDIVIDUALS such as your story.

Perhaps I was wrong and I expected too much and I can agree with that.
Just because I made the thread does not mean I own the thread and moderate the direction it takes, so my bad on that.

To be honest i've just been longing for an intelligent debate lately, I don't know why.

You seem to have had a very limited interaction with those of the faith in question, else you would completely understand our feelings on the subject.

I am indian, grew up in NY, currently living in Montreal Canada for an IT project. I always lived in a very cosmopolitan area, usually in the suburbs and even the 'hoods' sometimes. I probably know more muslims than the large majority of people in this thread, as well as christians, jews and 2 zoroastrians, also rastafari and other faiths too. Of course atheist too.

As in, many people in the West have a negative view of Muslims. Gee, I wonder why. Is this really an article that needs special discussion?

Once again my bad for expecting too much from ATS members
and for the last question of yours, well I, as in me, was hoping for an intelligent discussion.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by billybobh3

You might not need a God or diety as you say, but guess what God beat you to the things you said thousands of years ago -- Love your neighbor.

The God you don't need laid out a moral compass which even the Roman Empire, Rulers of The World, finally conceded to.

Just thought I'd give you a little background on your philosophies.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Statistically that makes sense. The majority is Christian so they're not going to be wary of other Christians. Due to the strong evangelical numbers, they typically support Judaism. Buddhism is known as being peaceful for the most part so there is nothing terribly intimidating about them.

Since Islam is the minority, they're obviously going to be the least popular. This would also include atheists who obviously do not accept religions. So among those polled, you have the non Muslim religious members 'voting against' Islam but not their own as well as the atheists who would vote against them all.

With that said, according to polls, statically atheists have it even worse than Muslims. Because you have an approximate 80% theistic population, most of them are going to be wary towards the 20% non theistic population.

Example: atheism.about.com...

I guess they weren't included though since atheism is not always considered a religion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join