It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More bias in US against Muslims than other faiths

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

More bias in US against Muslims than other faiths

news.yahoo.com

Americans are more than twice as likely to express prejudice against Muslims than they are against Christians, Jews or Buddhists, a new survey found. Nearly two-thirds of Americans say they have little or no knowledge of Islam. Still, a majority dislike the faith.

About 18 percent of respondents said they had some level of prejudice against Christians, while the figure was 15 percent toward Jews and 14 percent toward Buddhists

Personally knowing a Muslim is not linked to a lower level
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Personally knowing a Muslim is not linked to a lower level of prejudice, although not knowing a Muslim is related to the greatest level of bias

This is not surprising at all, one person in another thread said that multi-culturalism doesn't work. I found that to be a stupid view, truth is Isolationism doesn't work!

Respondents who say they attend religious services more than once a week are significantly more likely to have a favorable view of Muslims. Mogahed said people who are more religious generally consider prejudice a moral evil and often have respect for the devout of other faiths.

I find this surprising and in fact a little hard to believe.
Wouldn't devout followers think "our religion is the best" rather than have more tolerance?

I may be wrong.

Researchers also found a link between prejudice against Jews and Muslims. Americans who acknowledged "a great deal" of bias toward Jews were much more likely to feel the same about Muslims. The survey results could not explain why the two prejudices are linked. Mogahed said bias against both groups should be tracked and studied together to understand the dynamic.

I might get flamed for this but come on, Islam and Judaism are clones of each other with very similar rethoric and beliefs, the new testament is just a continuation of the OT but with better public relations.

At the end of the day i'm sure you can agree that there are more similarities between judaism and islam than there are differences. Perhaps this explains that dynamic.

Please don't take this the wrong way but they often look similar too, not facial structures but rather beards and stuff.

Thoughts?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Unfortunately we hate what we don't understand...

Kinda like MSM teaching us to shoot & kill aliens if they ever show up.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Probably because people of "other faiths" assimilate and integrate better than Muslims when they move into countries with a different way of life and culture.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
This may be TMI...

I married an Egyptian Muslim. My last name is Cohen, made for fun gatherings with his friends.

He wass very devout, prayed 5 times a day, practiced all of his fasting etc, then he took the bill money and gambled it before bringing home hookers and smoking crack with them in his locked bedroom. No, we were not intimate.

His friends would not allow me to speak around them, and they liked to talk about how disgusting I was in front of my face. They spoke in Arabic, so I wouldn't know. Despite the fact that I made it clear I spoke and understood Hebrew quite well. Not that hard to figure it out...

Funny thing is, he had lots and lots of friends. All devout Muslims like he was, all making money driving taxis (cash) and sending it back to their home countries while not paying bills here.

Then one day he asked me to go to the police station with him. He had gotten a traffic ticket, and wanted to offer the cops a bribe to let it go. I informed him that is not how things are done here, and he seemed confused. Apparently that IS how it is done in Egypt.

Now, i fully accept that there are bad apples in every bunch, but I know quite a few bunches, and none of them are particularly appetizing.

So where does that put me on this survey?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Probably because people of "other faiths" assimilate and integrate better than Muslims when they move into countries with a different way of life and culture.

How many christians or jews move to muslim countries?
how many muslims move.... well anywhere?

That's the difference, ratios.
Remember math class?

Originally posted by cjcord
So where does that put me on this survey?

I'm fairly sure that you could answer that better than anyone

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
SHOCKING!!!!! I wonder if that has correlation with constant terror threats. No that can't be it, people love having to go to the airport an hour and a half before boarding.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

How many christians or jews move to muslim countries?
how many muslims move.... well anywhere?

Not quite sure what your point is, but I agree with dark ghost.
the UK is a perfect example of this. It's not so much that Muslims have a hard time assimilating as it is orthodox Islamic Arabs.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I simply cannot imagine people anywhere would be prejudiced against Muslims. Maybe its because as someone else said, they do not assimilate into the society they move into. They instead seek to overwhelm and destroy the society of the guest country.

I really do not enjoy living in a society with people whose objectives are to destroy my culture and replace it with their own. Anyone who says that is not their objective is either fooling themselves or trying to fool me.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Well there is tremendous bias against Christians on TV,Movies and in the Newspapers in the US.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Muslims can live anywhere they want to in the world.Christians and Jews
can live in muslim countries.Christians and Jews won't have any rights in
muslim countries,but,they can live there if they live long enough to.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I dated a muslim guy when I was about 20; he seemed pretty decent himself, but the few times we would stop off at his apartment, his buddies were there smoking opium and being entertained by hookers, real, live hookers. These guys were pigs.

A few years later while working at a Denny's, I became friends with one of the waitresses who was living with the manager (a muslim). He beat the crap out of her on a regular basis. I finally borrowed my dad's truck and helped her pack everything she had one day while he was working, and drove her from Tulsa to Dallas, where her sister lived. She ended up meeting a very nice, non-muslim guy and getting married (I was a bride's maid) and had a couple kids and lived happily ever after.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Muslims cannot, by their own faith and civilizational paradigm, be citizens of the countries in which they reside. It just does not happen.

Muslims must spread Islam through Jihad. This is how the Islamic Empire has spread for 1,400 years.

Indeed, it is not a hatred for what we don't understand. It is existential fear of what wants to kill us. I do not want to have anything to do with Islam or the muslims that spread it. I would also like to see all the land ceded to the Islamic Empire returned to the peoples from which it was stolen. Islam and Greek thought cannot co-exist. Islam is inferior in every respect to the Intellectual Light of Greece,

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

Are you still married to this guy?

I hope you have the decency to leave him.

When someone is hostile towards you, it is only natural to be hostile back.

There is nothing wrong in acting in self defense of oneself.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
Christians and Jews won't have any rights in
muslim countries,but,they can live there if they live long enough to.

I know many christians who lived in Iran, and many other muslim countries and they lived there fine.

You are assuming are you not?

As far as christians and jews not having rights in muslim countries this is untrue unless you are talking about Taliban areas or Saudi Arabia where you are forced to wear a burqa before leaving the airport.

Will life be different for you in a muslim country? Absolutely!
I'm not arguing against that.

Let me tell you a quick story
I know this guy who is christian and he lived happily in Libya, no problem whatsoever. His son however was bullied in school, sometimes during lunch time a group of students would bully him, throw him on the ground and tell him "Say Allah Akbar, Say it... Say Allah Akbar" and they would kick him and stuff.

Here in north america you get bullied also but in different forms, here it's not religious but might be. I've seen people pull a sikh's turban off his head and cut his hair as a form of bullying, they weren't muslims they were white caucasians that did the bullying. Other times they bully you for being a nerd, being at the library or for whatever reason.

Sometimes the examples you may have may just be a different form but still present in your country.

Personally, I would never move to a theocracy.
Moving to a theocracy would be a difference life regardless of what religion the state supports.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Hardly a day goes by without something in the news that would reflect negatively on the Islamic faith.

Current examples
Man strangles wife for being too australian

Muslim man rapes to sample Prison in UK

'Illegal' Saudi women's gym shut

80-year-old man marries 11-year-old girl

Two christians shot for refusing to convert to Islam

This is not to even mention what religion you think of when you hear suicide bomb or hijacking.

I think that there is sufficient reason to be suspicious.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

LOL- good god no! I left him, then he got deported so I am having trouble divorcing him. Kinda need to have him served or wait a few months for a publication. But I learned my lesson, about him and all of his friends.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Everyone, take a step back please.

There are differences between CULTURE and RELIGION. An Egyptian Muslim, is not the same as a Turkish Muslim for example.

Americans are prejudiced against Muslims because the government wants Americans to feel that way. It helps the war effort etc. Gives the people a suitable 'enemy' figure. If the people in question are retarded anyway... which isn't rare in the U.S.

Also, the Christian fundies WANT you to hate Muslims, so that we dont all HATE Christians for their evil practices and hypocritical ways. Fundie Christians want us to HATE everyone but them, so that we give them MONEY, and brainspace. When they deserve neither. Bare in mind that most of the U.S government is made up of Christian fundies and a few Jewish folk.

The world would be such a nice place without religious fools.

Folks from Muslim countries are generally nice people. The religion doesn't matter - it's the morons who listen to propaganda that cause the problem. They're so ridiculously stupid that they deserve a pre-emptive Darwin award. These foolish people apear all over the world. If you see one, kick them.

Parallex.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

The Problem is the "Good" Muslims will go along with the nutcase Muslims who want to kill all non-Muslims,just to get along.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Okay, you got me..... I guess I am one of the majority-of this poll.

But, I am willing to change. For example. If 6 (+) foot tall, blonde, blue-eyed Nordic appearing people start bombing our people, our buildings, our planes etc etc... then I will show/feel hate/rage against them too.

Maybe if the Muslins would start to vocally and visabally show support for America-(if they reside here etc) then maybe those numbers would change.

Anyone else feel like being honest?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join