It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haitians, disarmed by their government, are urged by police to fight criminals themselves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

"If you don't kill the criminals, they will all come back," a Haitian police officer shouts over a loudspeaker in the country's most notorious slum, imploring citizens to take justice into their own hands.

As police urged residents to fight criminals themselves, Delice said, "I think it's a message we should listen to."

People who live here have been told not to count on security forces for help.

The article goes on to say the 'peacekeeping forces' are doing more dying than peacekeeping.

I'm under the impression the Haitian government frowns upon its citizens owning guns. Of course this doesnt mean those citizens who dont care if theyre being frowned upon cant get them illegally. It just means law abiding citizens wont have them.

So how do you defend yourself in this situation? Home Alone style booby traps?

Link to story

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well, they have those machetes, so they can swing away. They can hack their way through a wall of human flesh.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
It seems to me that there is better time to settle personal scores and even better, these personal scores are now officially sanctioned and encouraged by a government that seems to be focused on other matters and when lawful eyes are blind the worst depravities will happen.

Someone’s son dead son is insulting your nose – kill that criminal!

Someone stole your water can – kill that criminal!

Someone called you big nose – kill that criminal!

I wish I was surprised at this news

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

Petty insults are hardly a crime. Though stealing your water is.

The article also reminds the reader of the prison which was emptied due to the quake and mentions an instance of gangrape.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Petty insults are hardly a crime. Though stealing your water is.

Agreed but my point is that with the urging to take out criminals themselves what is there to stop someone killing someone for a petty insult and making up a story that he just looted a water can or something else of vital need?

With no due process, allowing vigilantism with no oversight or little oversight just seems to not be the way to go in such a ravage place and thus that was my point about scores being settled over petty slights.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

You cant prevent that really. But you cant prevent that from happening anywhere in the world under dire circumstances or comfortable ones.

I suppose the running theory is that in the end there are more decent people on this earth than psychopaths. A theory that is certainly debatable.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
How does this sound any different from living in washington d.c or chicago?
Did the Democrats take over Haiti?

new topics

top topics

join