It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Networks Giving Americans Sanitized Version of War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   

TV Networks Giving Americans Sanitized Version of War

www.inteldaily.com

U.S. television networks have given the public a sanitized, largely bloodless view of the war in Iraq, an academic authority on communications writes.

“The contrast between what Americans saw on the news and what European and pan-Arab audiences saw is striking. Foreign news bureaus showed far more blood and gore than American stations showed. The foreign media were delivering audiences the true face of the war,” Michelle Pulaski, an assistant professor at Pace University, New York.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Pulaski exemplifies her opinion through a friendly fire episode in Iraq that the BBC broadcast live from the scene ''with a detailed report of the horror including the blood-stained road, mangled vehicles, and the number of casualties.'' Hours later, CNN reported only that a friendly fire incident had occurred with no word of US casualties. ''This example represents a trend of sanitized, relatively gore-free broadcasting that was seen throughout U.S. war coverage.''

She goes on by saying how ''Fox abandoned its slogan “Real journalism, fair and balanced” for that of “a war cheerleader demeanor that many viewers seemed to like.'' and how the US government heavily censored some 600 embedded reporters.

Loss of objectivity could also be seen in the wave of patriotism that swept through media coverage, Pulaski wrote, including reporters with flags on their lapels and stars and stripes waving in the background. MSNBC, she noted, displayed a wall of heroes entitled “America’s Bravest” which contained photos of loved ones overseas sent by viewers. “This wave of patriotism, apparent after the September 11th attacks, led to a sanitized and biased version of the war coverage.”

www.inteldaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
'The horror, the horror' Sums it up nicely. (Thanks, Francis Ford Coppola.)
It would discourage people from joining this unwinnable war against an emotion if they were to show scenes of horror and bloodshed to the people they're trying to recruit, and showing such things would fan the flames of the movement against it. We can't have scenes of 'Our Valiant Men And Women' dead or wounded in the confusion of desert warefare against guerillas. Europe can show some, as the war was not their idea to begin with, and for those living in arabic countries it's more like current affairs.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
If people saw the stuff on youtube or dailymotion who'd only had their head stuck in the US MSM sandbucket, they'd be rather shocked no doubt. 50cal machine guns do wonders for weight loss,

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Yea, I spotted this big time when I was last in the States. The News would rarely show dead bodies or talk about "Collateral Damage" or the killings of innocents and painted an almost nice picture of the war where the US army was having a pretty easy time.

Whereas the news is quite a bit more blunt here, especially when it comes to talking about problems that have arisen with their own forces in the middle east.

I have noticed that much of the UK media have a watered down version as well.

Makes sense though, wartime propaganda and all that.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Yeah undoubtedly the media coverage does not show what is really going on. They are not authorized to disclose a lot of video and pictures taken over there in part of agreement with the Military, if they (media) are allowed to be there (Iraq and Afghanistan) they must follow their (Military) rules about disclosing information. Have you ever seen the film good morning Vietnam. It just shows an example of how the information released is sanitized; not only pacify America but to also preserve morale with the troops. I spent quite awhile there and have many pictures that people I know couldn’t believe. Soldiers are given “Interaction with Media Pocket Cards” illustrating things to say if confronted by journalists. I have all this stuff still in my box of junk but I don’t think I should post here. Another thing they don’t like to talk about is the amount of U.S. amputees these wars have created.

top topics

join