It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incoming Comet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Just wanted to give the heads up for those who are interested in this.

NASA's STEREO-A spacecraft has discovered another comet plunging toward the sun. The last time this happened on Jan. 4th, the comet was destroyed, and history could repeat itself later today.

Watch the MOVIE

Nothing much to add at the moment, stay tuned

Take care!

HM

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Hithe Merinos]

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Hithe Merinos]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Hithe Merinos

Hi,

This is something I have been reading about.

Thanks for the thread. Do you think these comets can actually be a start of something real? I'm new at ats

Thanks
Cyberstray

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Latest pics:
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

What would happen if it hits the big sunspot? It seems to head right into it.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by euleberlin
Latest pics:

What would happen if it hits the big sunspot? It seems to head right into it.

This is pure speculation on my part but I would have to say that it would probably launch it into space in the form of a very intense solar storm.
If there is anyone on ATS that knows alot about this type of thing please explain what could happen in this scenario.

S+F

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Misoir]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
i was about to start a thread on this..but oh well s&f

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
It seem like the star the Sun is attracting these celestial objects. Mabey they charge the star up for future activity. GOOD OBSERVATION S&F

[edit on 1/21/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
LATEST IMAGE

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Well on doing some research, sunspots are magnetic activity, which inhibits convection of heat - these areas of magnetic disturbance result in a lower temperature of that area when compared to it's surrounding area. Apparently sun spot temps are 3000 k-4500 k in temperature, when the area surrounding is approx 5,780K (Kelvin).

It is my supposition, that depending on what the comet is made up of, would affect the result. however, as most comets are made of ice and debris, i would say that the sun would simply take this hit with ease, IF the comet did not break apart and/or melt prior to it even coming close to the suns actual surface.

Let's not forget that the sun spots are still incredibly MASSIVELY Hot. These things would melt Gold in fractions of a second, depending on relative distance of course. What a sun spot would do to ice, i imagine would be the same effect as what a regular portion of undisturbed photosphere would do, however might take a fraction of a second longer given that the sun spots are somewhat cooler than the regular surface portions.

After all, with the size of the comet, it'd would be like me dropping a pinprick of water onto a large yoga balance ball, that is on fire.

What is the result of a large ball of Rock and Ice flying into what can effectively be described as a huge super hot fusion powered furnace?

Well, id say not much at all - Though id like to see what the scientific community would hypothesise. On saying this though - the sun has taken huge hits and not even shown any sign of disturbance. It's a massive object and the core of our solar system, for design sake id say it would be able to take a little bit of ice.

In my imagination i see a nice little mushroom cloud of vapors and water which would last a partial second.. other than that.. nothing - But that's just my over-active imagination.

[EDIT] For spelling and additional information.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by FeralMonkeyMagic]

top topics

join