It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amateur Stargazer Stuns Worlds Astronomers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
People who are enjoying this will enjoy this site (it's not mine!)...

StarGazers Lounge

There are many top US sites, but seems as if we're looking at a UK astro might as well push one of the best... great imaging thread on this site.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

Thanks for the link. Going to check out some pics now.

g

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
amazing pictures. How much did that Hubble thing cost again? Never mind. Please excuse the ignorant question, but does anyone know if you were at a polar location during a long night scenario, would you have the same sky view for that long of a time? I just was thinking about how much more his pictures showed with longer exposures, and how much the Hubble saw with a two week exposure. If this guy had a 18 hour exposure, just think of how much could be seen.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It seems that nobody has pick up on the fact that this photo and others on his site are AS clear as the hubble telescope ones and that he has photographed this for 20,000 english pounds, yet the hubble costs 2.5 BILLION!

Notice how the NASA supporters are quiet today.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Sigh... Images like that just make me hope that technology would just advance enough so that space exploration would become possible. Imagine seeing the beauties of space live. Too bad I probably won't be around when this becomes a reality.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SlinkyDFW

I did have links to some really good amatuer video of the more interesting 'anomalies' on the Moon. Sadly none of them work anymore.

Moon Tower

Best I could come up with quick.

It's too bad, although the quality wasn't significantly better the poster made a statment that a retired NASA employee confirmed in a seperate interview: Until the public can get access to 18 inch precision mirrors the debate over artifacts on the moon will continue.

Once amateurs do get their hands on that quality of gear the photos will be conclusive. I can't locate the interview (it was inside a video containing serveral interviews from a UFO conference) but he clearly states there is a ton of stuff up there, and very little of it is ours.

Neil Armstrong July 20 1994

Full clip from Coast to Coast AM broadcast with guest R.C. Hoagland

Not to go off on a tangent or debate R.C Hoagland; he does make at least one point that can't be ignored. NASA filmed miles of HD (1960's version of it) film and took thousands of similar quality photos.

Where is it? Why do we only ever see the grainy LowD TV footage? Personally, I think there is SO MUCH stuff that there probably is something curious in almost every image, therefore nothing can be released at all.

So many argue over IF we went to the moon. What they should focus on instead is what we found WHILE up there.

Kudos to this guy for having a passion and the desire to follow it. People like him expose coverups if for no other reason then the government has to explain how they missed something an amateur could find.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

HST is not a toy for you to look at pretty pictures. Science imaging is most of the times, plain ugly; HST is a Scientific Instrument, that can see galaxies from the time the universe was a few Myrs old.
The guy made GREAT pictures, no doubt.
But to compare an amateur setup like this with Behemots like HST is just plain wrong.
He shows us nice colors, HST shows us images from a time where most galaxies were gigantic blobs of irradiating stuff. THEY ARE INCONMENSURABLE (as in, you can't compare them, they work with different magnitudes, apples and oranges ftw)
Don't get me wrong i applaud this guy. But bashing the HST, one of mankinds greatest achievments... i don't understand it...
Btw i'm an Astronomy Sciences student, thus the passionate reply

Anywho, HERE you have Pretty HST pictures to put on your wallpaper. And HERE is the Hubble Legacy Archive, with the kind of imaging astronomers use to try to figure WTF is with this damn big place.
Peace.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Beautiful picture of an amazing infinite universe!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

Hey don't shoot this member who can see as clear as day as to how Never A Straight Answer works. I think there a little bit more than great pictures have you seen his site that the source links to, these are something else. As to bashing whoever your saying. I believe you have misunderstood, NASA spends ridiculous amount of money each year and gives us the dregs which may or may not have been airbrushed, whilst this amateur astronomer gives us something real that we can relate to because he is one of us.

MONEY - POWER - GREED thats how it works

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
reply to post by drakus

As to bashing whoever your saying. I believe you have misunderstood, NASA spends ridiculous amount of money each year and gives us the dregs which may or may not have been airbrushed, whilst this amateur astronomer gives us something real that we can relate to because he is one of us.

HST: Hubble Space Telescope.
NASA's budget, compared to US total budget is nil.
I linked to the Legacy archive so you can see that the images ASTRONOMERS use around the world are completely different than the color enhanced showtime versions the public is fed. And i can assure i see the same things with nasa material as i see with local (argentina) observations, it's not like nasa is the only one doing science, and WE ALL SEE THE SAME STUFF, wheter is from Nasa's telescope or from an Observatory at South Africa.
I believe NASA has done quite a coverup on some things but you have to be able to differentiate high-level censorship-base info from the material that real scientists use. Really.
And i'm not trying to attack you, man, sorry if my wording seemed like that. I just get exasperated when these over-generalizations (NASA IS ALL BS) happen, i think there are levels or degrees within the Data.
Peace.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

I understand what you are saying, and I am extremely interested in everything in space and anyone that offers us quality pictures of it

I am very passionate when it comes to corporations ripping off the little man and as you have guessed I am no fan of NASA, what do they give us for the 2.5 billion that we given them in taxes a few pictures in a gallery.

I must just add 2.5 billion maybe a small amount compared to the governement coffer but just think how many people it could take out of poverty? how many lives it could save?

we live in a world where the value of money has been lost.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Ok i went to the website. i repeat GREAT imaging, no doubt about it, but can't be compared to Hubble's, Deep infrared telescopes's etc information-wise.
And yes, Millions dollars worth space-based telescopes are BETTER, they get much more CLEARER pictures, can see FARTHER away, and can reveal things really out of amateur astrophotographer's league. But that doesn't imply amateur observations are bad, not at all.
And those better images from several INTERNATIONAL telescopes are freely availabe in their RAW format so astronomers who know how to do their stuff can see what the heck is up there.
There has to be a balance between critical questioning and common knowledge, it's just that that knowledge takes time (A LOT) to learn. But totally worth it when you can fire up a picture that for most people is gray goo with black background and see massive intergalactic interactions, superluminical jet's from Black Holes, etc.. Real science is really exciting!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Ahh yes, but your forgetting that for 20K he could of put Jacuzzi and a stripper pole in his shed.

Heck, for that, he could also get the stripper!!!

Seriously though, nice pics...and what a monetary investment for such an interest... Amazing.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Very nice pictures. You think those are good? Check this one out from English amateur astronomer Greg Parker:

www.telegraph.... co.uk/earth/3526362/Amateur-astronomer-captures-dawn-of-the-universe-from-back-garden-observatory.html

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
Stunning images. Thanks for posting this ... it just proves to me that there is still place in this world for individualists and explorers.

Imagine what this man could do if he had a NASA-sized budget to work with.

Imagine what NASA could do if they had this guys intelligence!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
Stunning images. Thanks for posting this ... it just proves to me that there is still place in this world for individualists and explorers.

Imagine what this man could do if he had a NASA-sized budget to work with.

Since this is a conspiracy site...lol,

Governments have technology that is perhaps a decade ahead of public technology. Maybe more than that.

Perhaps those photos released by Hubble are actually taken by a State of the Art telescope on a rural Colorado mountain?

Maybe the Hubble died long ago....but like some dead people in Chicago...they still get checks in the mail. They get funded.

Just saying.....

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

if you look it looks like there is a planet hidden to the left amongst all that radiated space dust

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I sure would love to see these pictures in 3D. I don't know much about photography but at one time was some company selling 3D cameras some time ago? I cannot remember the name but they did not last long at all. I still cannot understand why we do not have the technology to take 3D pictures, I realize that movie studious can make 3D movies but I think that technology is very different. I bet my bottom dollar that NASA is shooting 3D photos on the universe, but we will never see them.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uzamaki
Very nice picture. I just got a telescope for x-mas been messing around with it and even with my 300 dollar telescope
you can see the moon and planets better than I thought . But I will never get to stare at something that amazing. I'd like to see some shots of this guy just checking out the planets and moon I can only imagine how close up he could get.... Thanks for posting.

The trick is long exposure times on the same area of the sky.

That allows much more light to burn into the image, and as he stated he uses equipment to keep the telescope fixed on one spot in the sky while taking the images.

You can google some old software, HandyAVI which can be setup for use in taking long exposure images (iirc, or it may be image stacking, similar result) with a digital camera connected to a telescope. I think it even has a way to control certain types of hardware to keep the telescope fixed also.

His telescope is also one that is good for capturing as much light as possible, so the two combined would allow for much more detail than just pointing a telescope and camera at the sky and clicking.

We can do a lot more than we think, because we only think we cant.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by skoalman88
How long until his operation is shut down?

28 days... 6 hours... 42 minutes... 12 seconds. That... is when his operation.. will be shut down.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join