It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amateur Stargazer Stuns Worlds Astronomers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Beautiful pictures. However, where are the ones he doesn't want to show everyone?

Someone with this type setup could easily photograph the moon and clear up any arguments there.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Very nice picture. I just got a telescope for x-mas been messing around with it and even with my 300 dollar telescope
you can see the moon and planets better than I thought . But I will never get to stare at something that amazing. I'd like to see some shots of this guy just checking out the planets and moon I can only imagine how close up he could get.... Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

This thread reminds me of myself a bit. When I was real young I loved astrology and my father bought me a real expensive telescope. Once I got into it, he even upgraded it and spent even more money.

I actually just pulled it out of the closet not long ago and cleaned it up and such and was hoping to get back into stargazing myself

But great pictures, especially for an amateur, although I would say he's more than that even though he technically doesn't have a degree or anything, who cares? Still really beautiful pictures, something he can really value because he did this on his own. I admire the guy.

S&F.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
How long until his operation is shut down?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Originally posted by itstheendoftheworldaswekn
Very Nice.

He can do this from his garden shed.
Once again this begs the question: What the hell are 'they' not showing us

i wonder has he any good shots of the moon

Peace.

I'm with you on these two counts.
1) If he can do this from his garden shed what would he be able to do with a Hubble?
2) I wonder how long before he is forced to take down his setup?

Wht would he be forced to take down his setup? This is not the spanish inquisition days of Galileo!

Jesus H, either you're joking in which please include a
or you need to take medication for extreme "ATS" paranoia. Do you think he is the only non US astronomer on the planet?!?!?!?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Sorry, just leaving my mark here so that I can officially subscribe to this thread. I will leave a more detailed comment later. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Just to be clear... this is NO WHERE NEAR the resolution of Hubble pictures. In fact, I can't see why this is getting this much fuzz... it's not anything new and amateur astronomers have been doing this for a long time, and with good results.

Again, this is a prime example of the ignorance on ATS, people don't seem to know the most basic things in here.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by DwaynetheSpecious]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DwaynetheSpecious

Well perhaps the resolution is not the same but the pictures are beautiful and thats all that matters to me. Not resolution or who has the better telescope or even if its been done before. I am here admiring these particular photos and this particular astronomers work.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

S&F for you and a kudo to Mr. Shah for each star he photographs, amazing!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Wow this is indeed, very stunning!
Awsome! Thanks for posting!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Wow this is indeed, very stunning!
Awsome! Thanks for posting!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Beautiful and amazing. Good job Mr. Shah!

Starred and flagged.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Simply amazing. More work from Peter Shah:

[edit on 21-1-2010 by tyranny22]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
And what astounds me is his equipment that he used to capture these beautiful photographs:

Link

My scope is an ORION OPTICS UK AG8 Astrograph. A fully corrected 8 inch f3.8 Newtonian, mounted on a Losmandy G11 with Gemini computer. I use a STARLIGHT XPRESS SXV-H16 to aquire the data and currently an old Sky Watcher ED80 which is fitted with the optional Starlight Xpress guide head, to keep it where it needs to be while imaging. You may notice the gold mylar wrapped around the pier! A while back I had terrible trouble with poor seeing, I found out this was all due to the concrete pier heating up during the day and radiating it back out at night. The mylar was a cheap and simple solution.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
S & F for you!

This man's work, purely out of his own interest, is reminiscent of the works of Galileo, Copenicus, and Hubble to name only a few.

To be able to observe the beauty and awe of the heavens in such detail from one's own backyard; it's one of those things that only some of us dream of, and only a very select few actually do.

Thank you for sharing!
BillybobH3

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The exposure on some of those shots was 2hrs !!! Thats dedication and amazing photos. My partner has just got into photography and I'm looking to buy a telescope, this has really inspired me now !

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
love it, just goes to show you how much money NASA wastes... the experts are a bunch of dumba$$es

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Vary nice pictures, hope to see more from this stargazer.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Yeah, NASA wastes money like a Bush n' Obama, but just wait until we have scope on the far side of the moon, or better yet, at the edge of the solar system. In fact, with current technology a giant scope array can be made that would photograph 30% or more of the of the sky at a time and capture it in a scalable resolution...damn expensive though, which is why I applaud Mr.Shah!

[edit on 21-1-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
yeah i agree its funny how this guy captured some really good stuff but we only get trash from nasa given they have given us some great pics from time to time but with a lil money and my own equipment i could prolly make nasa look rediculous and what about them huge telescopes like the one in arizona why dont we ever seen anyhting great from it prolly because nasa and the gov. put a lock down on anything they discover especially if it something that would get our asses talking

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join