It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese villagers hail teen killer as hero

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Chinese villagers hail teen killer as hero

www.msnbc.msn.com

BEIJING - When a hired assassin stabbed Li Shiming through the heart, many villagers experienced relief. The slain local Communist Party official had made their lives hell by seizing land, extorting money and bullying people for years, many said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Avatar - even in 2D - reportedly too hot a property for China censors

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
This is not much of a conspiracy, but a notable case of corruption worth collecting.

It goes well along the Screening of Avatar in China. For those who don't know, Chinese have pulled out 2D version of Avatar because it may provoke disobedience among citizens as the destruction of Na'vi land resembles the industrial development in China.

Parallels have reportedly been drawn between the plight of the Na'vi, who face the threat of eviction from their woodland home, and those in China vulnerable to displacement by predatory property developers.
(Source)

Li razed 28 acres of trees belonging to them without permission or compensation in 2003.
The teenager entered a school where Li was attending a meeting, found the official alone and plunged a knife into his heart.
Li staggered out of the building and into his luxury sports utility vehicle but died before he could make it to a hospital, reports said.
The case quickly turned into an outpouring of sympathy for the young killer — and expressions of hatred for Li.
(snip)
Nearly 21,000 people from the area around Xiashuixi petitioned the court for leniency for Zhang — to no avail.
(Source)

Some other snippets from the original news:

Zhang's case echoes two other instances of ordinary Chinese who became anti-heroes after killing people in positions of power.
(snip)
The case reflects the desperation that China's rural poor are driven to when bullied by their leaders, wrote Chinese social commentator Yan Changhai on his blog.
(snip)
"Zhang Xuping is guilty. His biggest crime is that he dared to resist a bandit-like official, and refused to be obedient and to be a slave," Yan wrote.

Yan blamed the murder on collusion between officials and local police and courts.

"If the authorities did not indulge Li Shiming's evil deeds, if even one of his evil deeds was punished by law, he would have avoided death under Zhang Xuping's knife," he wrote.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21/1/2010 by SassyCat]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat

First of all, China has not "banned" Avatar, it has pulled out Avatar for Confucius. Avatar movie is still running in 3D cinema halls in China. Secondly, I applaud the guy who rose against the oppressive Chinese official. He should be hailed and rightly so.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Thanks for pointing out, I've corrected the post now.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

The slain local Communist Party official had made their lives hell by seizing land, extorting money and bullying people for years, many said.

So why arent the Browns or Kelo hailed as heroes in the US? Because they didnt kill their oppressors?

Is it safe to call this kid a hero because "China bad"? Would it be safe to call this kid a hero if it were a United States citizen who took out a tax collector threatening to confiscate his property?

Just curious and wondering if there is some continuity.

Personally, I'll call the kid a hero. A one-man A-Team of sorts. But I would also call anyone taking out a tax collector here a hero as well.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat

Yw..please don't be offended. I thought it was better to keep facts straight. Secondly, yes I agree China has cleverly dodged the "ban" bullet. The thing is China has very few 3D cinema halls and that also in very few places. So yes they have restricted movie viewing. This is a conspiracy in itself.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

There is a difference between American and Chinese officials by a wide margin. Please do look deeply how Chinese citizens are treated in villages etc.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

You mean their property isnt taken from them at gun point or ours isnt?
You mean their sons and fathers arent arrested and detained for arbitrary reasons or ours arent?

As far as I can tell the only difference is that it's perfectly acceptable to label one party committing these acts "evil" and another party committing the same acts "holy."

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
They're hailing these people as heroes...It seems the populace in rural areas is all for dissent. I'd like to see how this pans out. Could be a counter revolution in the works if people get like this in enough places. As Orwell said: Hope lies with the proles.

(Plus, I'm very surprised that Li fellow got that far with a hole in his heart.)

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I find this especially ironic considering it was the rural villages where Mao began his revolution. The rural areas of China were Communist strongholds during the 1911-49 civil war ... half a century later they are hotbeds of anti-Communist resistance.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

they are not tax collectors, the victim is what most do and got caught.
delt with, the laws are strong.

there is alot of misunderstanding about china.
the kid prob will be dead by april.

the speedy trial and all that. mofo was a dirtbag,
the kid should get 4yrs wtime off but...

don't forget, china is the only country that is trying to get up to speed.
with infrastructure etc.

extraordinary progress takes extraordinary steps.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Even though the party official sounds like a proper turd,I do not consider this killer to be a hero at all.
I can't see the act of stabbing someone through the heart as "heroic."

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

where do you live?

you sound like you have a close connection to china.

i live on lantau.

@Modwolf, someone pulled it out and that was the mistake.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
the cultural differences in east vs. west are astounding. the people felt, due to communistic power structure, that Li was the person accountable for the actions committed "against" them.in america its kind of opposite, where "heroes" are despised and viewed as the problematic reason behind actions centered on the citizen.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Silcone, the gov put to death some ceo's involved in a food scandal.

there is not alot of time between arrest and see ya!

that is IF and WHEN people get caught!

they think he is a hero, then there is a good reason.

misguided, ok but think of what people have gone through.

the kid will die for it, the chump is dead too.

lesson learned?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Would it be safe to call this kid a hero if it were a United States citizen who took out a tax collector threatening to confiscate his property?

Yes.

Absolutely.

I would probably put $20 on his books wherever such a person was locked up.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

Hey,I know how darkside the Chinese commie Gov are,and wasn't trying to make excuses for them.
I just would not call the guy a hero for murdering someone(anyone).
The support he got from the public shows how disliked this commie was,but I still do not condone his murder.
Nor do i condone the hundreds of murders carried out by the Chinese gov on a weekly basis.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

no prob my friend, it's just facts. there is soooooo much going on there.

"and justice for all" is not there yet.

that is how they deal with it although a gov official is a big target. the chinese gov doesn't care beyond the fact that it is not good policy, lol.

the grassroot people just want to have a good life.

it would take days to relate.

it's sad that it comes to that.

the gov is like all others but it's pretty amazing how far and fast they progress with that many people to deal with.

good/bad is relative.

they are a force. we better wake up.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Some people are missing a crucial difference between a communist party official and a democratically elected official.

There is no legitimate or simple way to get rid of the corrupt communist party official.

Whereas a bad elected official can be gotten rid of periodically, AND legally.

Not comparable.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The taking of a life does no man honor, however as they say in Texas "some folks need killing"! To ignore that fact is to ignore the rights of anyone in this tyrants circle of power and tyranny. It's nice and PC to think that no one deserves their life ended through an act of violence but it is a fact of living in this world. Human reaction to constant acts of utter despotism against their persons will evoke this more and more in the future, unfortunate as that is!

Zindo

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join