It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi girl 13, sentenced to 90 lashes after she took a mobile phone to school

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
So many on here miss the point. Since when is it your right or position to judge another culture for their "strickt" laws. This would not be occuring if she had not violated a known law. My stance on this does not mean I am a facist or a nazi. I means that I apply to the world what you are trying to apply to your children. I do not come in your house and demand that your child eat meat or take away their couch patato time. Why are you all trying to go into their house and change the way that they raise their children?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
What would a nation look like to the world that, "surgically" went to wars for causes like this, instead of greed?

They would be a light to the world indeed! They would be loved and yearned for!

How can the intervention of this legendary kingdom that's a family, and a family that's a kingdom, ever become real here and now enough?

I feel very passionate about issues such as this..

It has nothing to do with nationality, and everything to do with what is simply right and wrong. The atrocities world-wide need to be put in check.

And thanks for bumping me up to, "solid" contributor

All others, please refer to my signature. No consequencE..

Thank you.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by noconsequence]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress
So many on here miss the point. Since when is it your right or position to judge another culture for their "strickt" laws. This would not be occuring if she had not violated a known law. My stance on this does not mean I am a facist or a nazi. I means that I apply to the world what you are trying to apply to your children. I do not come in your house and demand that your child eat meat or take away their couch patato time. Why are you all trying to go into their house and change the way that they raise their children?

You really don't get it do you?

I have a mind, and I use my mind to observe the world, take in facts, evidence, testimony by others, and form opinions and judgments.

This known law isn't the problem, the punishment is the problem. It falls under cruel and unusual punishment. Whipping people is not an acceptable punishment for those who break the law, nor is chopping off hands, another one of this hell hole nation's practices.

You seem to hold the law above all else. I do not, I hold ethics and morals above the law. It is precisely your attitude that Nazi soldiers also shared that allowed them to harm their fellow Germans all because it was the law and they were ordered to.

There is more to life than the law, there have been countless unjust laws in the past and there are countless unjust laws in the present.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

Originally posted by JahKinG SouLJaH
But we are talking about a fukking cellphone for crying out loud!

That's just it!! Unless you are from that specific "group", you cannot judge whether or not it is "just a fukking cellphone"...

(i know this is a big no-no on ATS but for argument sake i'll give it anyway)

For instance:

Police arrested an estimated 723,627 persons for m*riju*na violations in 2001, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's annual Uniform Crime Report, released today. The total is the second highest ever recorded by the FBI, and comprises nearly half of all drug arrests in the United States.

I am from the Netherlands, and this seems absolutely ridiculous to me. Yet you do not see me making any effort to change or criticize this because i have to respect your perspective on this. + It does not effect me in any way other then that it give me a good feeling about living in a country were this in not an issue...

Sorry for the off topic...

Peace

[edit on 21/1/2010 by operation mindcrime]

But you see we cannot live with that type of mentality any longer, that just creates division within the WHOLE, Just because you live in Netherlands and you say as long as it's not in my country everything is fine, you are wrong.
You live in the same Earth as all of us do, if it affects one country it affect the WHOLE globe. Imagine a world with no borders no divisional lines that separate land, there would be no countries looking out for themselves only instead looking out for the whole globe!
On my body I have a "left" arm and a "right" arm, they both have different names, but are connected within the WHOLE of my body, should I take care of my "right" arm better than the left just because it is stronger, faster, and can do more then my left? Wouldn't I create disharmony within the WHOLE of my body?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Removed double post.

[edit on 1/21/2010 by dubiousone]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
That's beyond bizarre and evil! But I think in Iran,a Woman has to get permission for Her husband to make a phone call.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Thats a pretty rough punishment. she probably only deserved 60 lashes.

(kidding of course.)

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I can garrontee after 90 lashes, here is what that young girl will look like:

www.faithfreedom.org...

Q ~ 4:34 :: As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and beat them.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Bombeni]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Don't you die after around 100 lashes? I remember 100 lashes used to be Royal Navy standard procedure up to the mid 1800s

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by noangels
Has anyone read this story?It clearly says she assualted her head teacher after it was found.She isnt getting the brutal treatment for having a mobile phone at school,i would assume its becuase of her own temper issues

anyway having said that,90 lashes is wrong no matter her age

we had canings when I was at school,and some of our teachers would take a run up to give you six of the best!I prefered that to detention

(yea the teachers really got a thrill out of the cane. maybe if they were not teachers in schools they would be out in society kidnapping children. they obviously had fantasies needing to live out)

Yes it says that in the news age 13 girl story, but their version of assult to head teacher , was probably along the lines of some verbal tantrum, the child probalby feared for her life after being caught with the phone it sinking in to her what was going to happen. suddenly the kid has now been charged with assult too. How much "assult" can a 13 yr old saudi girl do to a full grown adult. its not like she was yielding a flick knife.

story also goes on to say about some teenagagers "Three years ago 16 schoolchildren, aged between 12 and 18, were each sentenced to between 300 and 500 lashes for being aggressive to a teacher."

did anyone notice the last line of the news story where the news editor threw in

"Most of the hijackers in the September 11 attacks in 2001 came from Saudi Arabia"

where did that come from??? so we can see that papers agenda !!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigDaveJr
reply to post by Bombeni

Don't you die after around 100 lashes? I remember 100 lashes used to be Royal Navy standard procedure up to the mid 1800s

They'll probably start lightening up at oh around the 50th lash, so they don't kill her. But yeah, 90 hard lasher would kill anyone.

It has made me heartsick. But this goes on all the time we don't hear about. Families can do this to their own daughters and face no legal justice.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

They would have to kill Me,if that were my child!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

Because when I discipline my children, it does not result in death or maiming for life. There is absolutely no defense for what is happening to this girl. None. Outrageous.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Well after her lashes I bet she doesn't do it again.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This is a Saudi thing that is what they do.

Some on here would like to go to war with them because of what they consider to be wrong. That action would kill thousands if not tens of thousand of 13 year old girls.

I ask this what gives the right to the US to complain about how other countries treat there own people.

If it were not for US interference in other countries affairs the world would not be in the mess it is now.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
No sympathy must be given to the men who commited this act. It is disgusting at every level. How can these men harm a child like this. My only conclusion is that they feel they are doing no wrong. A firm example of the rotten core that is the middle east mentality. It is interesting to think that theyre practices are supposedly passed down through generations, as it makes me wonder the practices of the ancients. Human sacrifice and brutality seemed to be the order of the day. So what does that say about us now? Are we more advanced, or weaker?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
The punishment in this case does not fit the crime.

I have no objection to rules about mobile phones in school, but giving lashes for it is not acceptable.

What can we in the west do about it, not very much, but I would like to hear politicians condem the actions and perhaps threaten sanctions against countries with poor human rights.

We might not agree with it and its not really our place to tell other cultures how to behave but that doesnt mean we have to support them with business deals and such like.

So long as our governments are prepared to do business with these guys nothing will change.

How do we know if a punishment fits a crime or not, enlighten me because this is a very complicated issue you are touching.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I had two 13 year old daughters, and if they really wanted to punish her they should give her back the phone and tell her she's not allowed to text...OMG

[edit on 21-1-2010 by factbeforefiction]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MAC269

If it were not for US interference in other countries affairs the world would not be in the mess it is now.

Yeah, it would be far worse. Slobodan Milosevic would have succeeded in the ethnic cleansing of thousands of muslims from his area of eastern europe.
Face it - no matter how you slice it - Sharia law sucks for humanity.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by intelgurl

Instead, you replace one genocide with another.

In the end, wrong is wrong. Saying that we would be better off with, or without, one evil influence or another, is shortsighted at best.

The problem is Government in general. Or at least, Government as it stands currently.
They all suck.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join