It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi girl 13, sentenced to 90 lashes after she took a mobile phone to school

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Can a 13 year old child even live thru 90 lashes? I got 3 or 4 a few times and thought I was dying.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Perhaps the Americans should also bring democracy to Saudi-Arabia. Their leadership are no different than the former totalitarian regime of Iraq. The only difference being that the weak royal house of Saudi Arabia is on our side while Hussein was on the axis side.

It once again shows the double standards that we, the West, maintain. Genocide in Darfur? Doesn't require an invasion. Worse than medieval torturing in Saudi-Arabia? Doesn't matter, they are on our side anyway.

Tell me. What does the Saudi-Arabian regime make any better than for instance its Iranian counterpart?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni
Can a 13 year old child even live thru 90 lashes? I got 3 or 4 a few times and thought I was dying.

Good point. I can imagine there would be tons of blood loss. Along with the poor child being traumatized for the rest of her life...

As I said before, I can't wait until the United States breaks free from oil and we can get out of the middle east. It's all a lost cause.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It puts me in mind of Judges 19:25 - 20:13..

No second line.

No consequencE..

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

I normally try to be civil, but PLEASE KEEP YOUR POLITICAL CRAP OUT OF THIS ISSUE!!!!

Its about a child who is being given 90 lashes for nothing more than a scatterbrain mistake!!! This is ABOVE POLITICS please, I beg you. Please do something for this child instead of seeking parallelisms!

You and I can sort out other issues one by one and I swear I will listen objectively and try to find a common ground for both of us to find a solution to other mess. You and I are similar humans after all - BUT PLEASE SAVE THE CHILD AND ANY OTHER CHILD WITHIN OUR CAPABILITY WHERE WE SEE IT, PLEASE!

[edit on 21-1-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by nixie_nox

Er... HUGE difference.

All of the examples you mention are considered crimes here. However, this caning is government approved.

That is the difference. Caning someone here (especially for something so mundane as having a cell phone) would be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

How can people really defend that with a straight face.

They're not defending it with any face. People like "that" are pointing out the hypocrisy from people like "you". Here in the United States, we sentence people to life in prison for drug possession (3 Strikes Rule), or often sentence them longer than someone who molests a child. Here in the US, we execute the retarded.

You know what, as barbaric as their Sharia law is, at least they don't invade other countries on a bi-annual basis. You don't see Saudi Arabia raping the Vietnamese, Korean, Afghanistan or Iraq countryside. You don't see them killing thousands upon thousands of people in Allied bombing runs in Dresden and all over Germany or the double-atomic drop on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They don't deploy unmanned drones in Pakistan and other countries and lay waste to an entire city block for one "target", killing everything in the area. As the big smelly pieces of crap that these Saudi lawmakers are, you don't see them invading Afghanistan and manipulating the opium trade to raise it 10 fold.

You know what, I am so tired of this crap. I'm tired of people like you and everyone that stands for who you are. You think America is so advanced, yet it's probably the most barbaric country ever conceived these days. So you go ahead and cry and lament a 13 year old girl. While you're at it, cry for the millions of children and babies we've killed over the past 80 years alone. Go ahead and try to blame it on the enemy, the cowards that you are, just like everyone like you. Leave it to America to blame a massacre of a population on the victimized population itself. Identical to how an abused and beaten child blames the transgressions of his abusive father on themselves. "If only I didn't speak up to my father, he wouldn't have beaten me. It's my fault."

[edit on 21-1-2010 by SyphonX]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The punishment seems severe to us, but ask yourself this? Are anymore kids going ot bring mobile phones into school. I dont think so, in a way it has worked... Now then you gets peeps on here crying about the moral break up of western society. Why is this...
If you had you hand cut off for stealing, that would stop a lot of peeps stealing. Especialy if there were laws in place to stop anyone going hungry. Now that is the case..
So a culture like the usa has no leg to stand on when it comes to judging other countires.. Your country is way out of control.. Look at gun crime..
You really think you can take the moral high ground... Yep cry about some 13 year old girl getting whipped for breaking a rule but say nothing about all the children that get killed everyday by your bombs for being in the wrong place at the wrong time..
Take a deep long hard look in the mirror.. kx

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I said nothing about the rest of horrors you speak of, because there are other threads to express outrage on those issues. Usually, posters try to stay on topic, per thread.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Here in the United States, we sentence people to life in prison for drug possession (3 Strikes Rule)

Yup. It's a crock. There have been stories of people getting 30 years because they stole a donut on their third strike. It's ridiculous.

However, that is not the topic. It's a deflection attempt. Also, the examples previously given to deflect weren't even based on our own judicial system but just stuff like 'Person gunned down on sidewalk.'

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
You know what?

By simply stating and regurgitating other issues to this topic, you are just ignoring on what should be done on harm to stop this inhumanity.

If you wished to bring out inhumanities and atrocities done to the masses, why not let us go right back to the dawn of civilisation? Of Egyptians, Greeks, Persians, Romans, Mohameddans, etc? Why stop or start at only one epoch?

Do you see the logical fallacies as you continue to ignore my call to help this girl child on this topic? If you still dont get it, then please dont bother. Continue on with your political crap and I will see you still here talking your crapola even in the next century, if i live long enough.

Good Luck to you, and I too will need all the luck to find a way to help this child and any other child from anymore harm, within my limited and alone capability.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Barkster

Well as some on ATS would say.... you cant prove that this isnt what god wants. We cant prove that sharia law isnt the highest order of gods will...

So lets all just enable such behavior. It would be ignorant to think you have any more understanding than them.

If god's will is to whip a 13 year old girl with 90 lashes for bringing a cellphone to school then f#ck god we don't need him.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Bobbox1980]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
reply to post by purplemer

I said nothing about the rest of horrors you speak of, because there are other threads to express outrage on those issues. Usually, posters try to stay on topic, per thread.

Sorry sweeite...
It is on topic... If judging another culture through the eyes of your own culture.
It must be down in context or it has no meaning watsoever.....

kx

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
reply to post by Mdv2

I normally try to be civil, but PLEASE KEEP YOUR POLITICAL CRAP OUT OF THIS ISSUE!!!!

Its about a child who is being given 90 lashes for nothing more than a scatterbrain mistake!!! This is ABOVE POLITICS please, I beg you. Please do something for this child instead of seeking parallelisms!

You and I can sort out other issues one by one and I swear I will listen objectively and try to find a common ground for both of us to find a solution to other mess. You and I are similar humans after all - BUT PLEASE SAVE THE CHILD AND ANY OTHER CHILD WITHIN OUR CAPABILITY WHERE WE SEE IT, PLEASE!

[edit on 21-1-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

Don't act so melo-dramatic and hysterical. There is nothing you are going to about it and there have been many of such occurrences before. It's terrible, but worse is that without any criticism the West, and in particular Saudi-Arabia's strongest ally, the US, allows it to happen without a word.

And that's the political relation you cannot deny, that's the reason why this hasn't stopped from happening.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Stories like this reinforce my idea that banishment should be brought back as a potential punishment.

This girl should be allowed to choose banishment from Saudi Arabia as punishment for her crime as an alternative to lashings.

I am sure there are many countries in the world who would take in her and her family to prevent this brutality from occurring.

Any consensual crime committed anywhere in the world should have an option of banishment along with the court proscribed punishment.

I think we would see people leaving brutal countries to live in freer countries.

As we inevitably move towards world government I think the idea of banishment will be fundamentally necessary to creating that world government. We are never going to get rid of all dictators, theocracies, or other non-elected governments. Nor will we be able to get rid of all consensual crimes in all governments of the world. For the sake of peace though we cannot wage wars against all these nations nor do we really have the right to.

Banishment would allow us to look the other way when rulers commit acts we disapprove of because these country's citizens would always have the option to leave and go somewhere else.

P.S. Stories like this also make me wish I had an Iron Man suit, I wouldn't let crap like this happen if I had that kind of power.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Bobbox1980]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

It is not a "deflection attempt". The underlying principles and reasons for why we invaded Iraq was to "free the people" from the horrors of the oppressive regimes. Based on the same judgment principles we bestow upon Saudis. Lo and behold, here we are, even with all the atrocities of Iraq, of how we supposedly "freed them" from their oppressors, we have killed THOUSANDS of children. Yet you don't care.. you consider it a "deflection".

You don't have a leg to stand on trying to deem the Saudis as barbaric. I don't care if it is barbaric, the fact remains Americans don't have any credibility whatsoever to determine what another culture should or should not do when they have the blood of millions on their hands.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress
Why does no one look at the fact that she knew the consequences to her actions and chose to break what obviously is a law? When people choose to break the law why do they whine when they are punished according to that law? You can scream bad this and bad that with their belief system, but in the end this is the lifestyle that the child was brought into and raised to understand and respect. I do consider it strickt but I also do not know weather or not this is the first time this child violated the law. She may be a repeat offender. Sometimes when you run a "strickt" environment you have to also make an example out of some one. It just wasn't this childs lucky day.

Your post certainly shows that your guillotine avatar is approps to your attitude. Keep licking the jack boots and may they press lightly on the back of your authority worshipping neck.

[edit on 1/21/2010 by dubiousone]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Then live somewhere else, seriously. America doesn't need citizens that don't respect their own freedoms. Hell, if you were living in Saudi Arabia and gave that rant about the country to someone, you'd probably be killed

Eat your words.

EDIT: fixed a few spelling errors

[edit on 21-1-2010 by ProUSA]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ProUSA

Eat your own words. I respect my freedoms. What I don't respect are neo-Nazi wannabe patriots like yourself who seem to vomit their authoritarian BS ideologies at the expense of the US constitution, and our freedoms.

Ironic, that.

I'm a veteran, have spent 2+ years in Iraq alone. I've seen what we do, what we've all done, and I have guilt for what we have become. After the whole of my service, I am ashamed. So you go ahead and hold fast to your ideals and tell everyone that doesn't agree with you to shove off, because that's what a free society is, right? Despots don't need to rule with an iron fist, they can rely on the population to spew forth puppets like yourself, that think what we have today is "freedom".

So continue to lambaste everyone who "speaks against the USA", and call them a traitor, punk, etc. You only reinforce what they say. All I see here is a bunch of people from the UK and US claiming that this is an atrocity, which it is, yet they're not only claiming it's horrible, they want to "do something about it", "to stop it". The only way the US/UK "stops tyranny" is by spreading democracy ala Operation Shock & Awe. I wouldn't be surprised if half of you, if not more, would love another 'Shock & Awe' on Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Personaly I think we should fire bomb the whole reigon and rid the world of these backward ass neanderthals. They clearly aren't on the same evolutionary track as most of us.

While most of the west continues on with advancements for mankind these jerks are still dragging women around by they're hair.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

You've mistaken me for some crazy, right-wing patriot. I called you out because you were whining about how America has done so much wrong, blah blah blah. Everyone knows that. Yet, you bring it up to stray from the point of this thread. Which is basically, their extreme religious state has unnecessary punishment, and it's too bad that's what it's like, because America is a business partner with them so we have to keep supporting them.

Second, thank you for your service in the military.

Third, I agree with a lot of what you said believe it or not. I've been studying World Politics and History for nearly 6 years now, in a professional environment. I could go into how America has it's self-righteous ego that it's the 'hegemon' of the world and must invade every country that's different than them. But I won't, because this thread isn't the place. In the first place, I never supported any idea of invading, bombing, attacking in any way of Saudi Arabia. I believe in sovereignty, 100%. I simply wish America hadn't screwed itself into having to support the extreme country.

EDIT: wantsome, that was the most stupid post I've ever read. Are you 12 years old? Or are you just really that ignorant?

[edit on 21-1-2010 by ProUSA]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join