It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi girl 13, sentenced to 90 lashes after she took a mobile phone to school

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Barkster

Well as some on ATS would say.... you cant prove that this isnt what god wants. We cant prove that sharia law isnt the highest order of gods will...

So lets all just enable such behavior. It would be ignorant to think you have any more understanding than them.

See how easy it is watcherintheshadows anyone can say stupid stuff like that.

WTF does that have to do with what I posted. Get a beer and knock the edge down because I think you have reached
The Outer Limits.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

But you realize that the majority don't make decisions in Saudi Arabia, right?
Also, how is this any different than simply vanishing.

In fact, it is probably much worse than being "disappeared"... on the one hand, you are killed, on the other, you are brought to the very brink in a matter of public display (if not killed in public)... all in an effort to keep those people obedient to your barbaric ways.

Some things I like to consider "absolute" values that people should strive to uphold. Basic human dignity is one of them.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

What if this is really what god wants?

There are alot of people on here that dont believe we have enough evidence either way and would say that your claim of a child not deserving this punishment would be self-richeous and ignorant. Maybe it is for the greater glory of god.......

We cant prove that it isnt.

wow its really easy to say stupid crap like that.

Then why call him God? We learn growing up that God is all caring and loving. But when it comes to entertainment, you sinned the worse sin imaginable. Is it really worth all this Agony, Hell and Pain? Just to please this so called God and enter a nice happy land in the future?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Obviously its needed... or it wouldnt exist. So why dont you realize that you CANT PROVE that these laws made by religious leaders are not right. How dare you say that you know better than the girls own parents or religious leaders.

Your saying its a horrible unneeded punsihment.... but thats because your ignorant and self-righteous.

"I have my opinions thank you very much. But, I am smart enough to know my opinion is not the be all end all of reality. Unlike some people. Getting lost in my own illusions is not a goal of mine."
by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Wertdagf]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
90 lashes is excessive and I doubt any of us would dispute that

I'm remembering a similar case last year, in which a muslim woman defied some 'law' about not wearing trousers, I think, and she too was sentenced to dozens of lashes

The woman was offered the option of recieving the lashes in private, but chose instead for them to be public, because she wanted to expose her religion's laws for what they were. In fact, her defiance in wearing the trousers despite prior warnings, might have been in order to force the issue to Western attention. And I'm not in the least critical of her if that's the case

In the end, from memory, she was subjected to 'token' punishment. She protested and wanted to be publicly lashed to expose the regime, so good for her. Her parents, however, were mortified and overrode her wish to be publicly lashed. So she got no support from that quarter !

It may be the punishment was dropped because of public outcry, can't remember

Hopefully the same will occur with the punishment handed down to the school girl in the OP

What has to happen of course, is for the FEMALE representation of God to make a public appearance

Only that will put an end to the foul misogyny with which all the Abrahamic religions are riddled, top to bottom

Either that, or women have to organise and kill all their male babies as soon as they're born, as the Greek women apparently decided once upon a time

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
My only question is, why does not US Govt withdraw their support for Saudi. I am Muslim, and i consider it as inhumane as everyone else. I have fair knowledge of the Islam as well, and there is no way a 13 yrs should be punished for 90 lashes for merely carrying camera phone to school.

And this is not the first incident of this kind, everyone knows Saudi follow the the most rigid form of Sharia (wahabism) that most Muslims don't adhere to.

However what is surprising to me, that why don't west usa/uk withdraw their support for saudi.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LOYAL

Because they are business partners.
Plain and simple.

As I said initially, I'm surprised we are even hearing of this.
Bottom line is that the west doesn't give a DAMN about human sufferage. The ONLY thing that they care about is the allmighty dollar (barrel of oil). This is a common mentality amongst sociopaths.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

Like when african american slaves tried to escape their masters.

Yeha i know what idiots... they knew what they were getting.

Likewise they knew the consequences of thier actions. I do not condone slavery but I do not condone us judging another culture for their way of the land. Inhumane or not is a subjective arguement. Some will say that the way we allow our children to live in the lap of luxury is inhumane. I for one like our culture but they do not. This is the way that they prevent the spoiled child syndrom that vomits disrespectfull youths upon the rest of society. I cannot say they their method is wrong. I for one can think of several youths that witnessing such a punishment might just do them some good. But I guess most of you are ok with the way that the US's children are going down the moral gutter. I am not.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

Some things I like to consider "absolute" values that people should strive to uphold. Basic human dignity is one of them.

I think most of the "civilized" world would agree with you on that (i know i do!!) but this idea isn't hardwired into our system. We obtained it through advancing understanding of how a civilization should work in respect to certain ethics.

It's not like we were burning people at the stake for something they did/didn't do or kill them because of certain religious believes.....oh wait, we did do that.

It is just that we are the first to see that this is ethically wrong but now we are all of a sudden like the kid in the classroom laughing at other children because they can't do what he just learned.

Some civilizations take a little longer then others but that doesn't give you the right to judge them.

Peace

link   

Your saying its a horrible unneeded punsihment.... but thats because your ignorant and self-righteous.

"I have my opinions thank you very much. But, I am smart enough to know my opinion is not the be all end all of reality. Unlike some people. Getting lost in my own illusions is not a goal of mine."
by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Oh But its obvious you are lost in your own illusions and as ignorant as anyone I have ever heard on these forums. Qouting from a novel? I should love to see you go to Arabia and witness this beating. Do you think its like your momma used to do to you? A switch off the tree and a few whacks? Although I'd guess you were never spanked at all judging by your posts.

link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

The girl should be granted French citizenship. That way the Saudis would be whipping a French citizen 90 lashes.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LOYAL

Where does it stop? Today you allow leniency on cell phone cameras but tomorrow do you allow orgies in the locker room?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

"But I guess most of you are ok with the way that the US's children are going down the moral gutter. I am not."

But doesnt thinking such a think go against your own logic? Is that to big of a step for you to realize right now. So your previous b.s. about not judging other people is just a pretty mask.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

You cant PROVE that this isnt what god wants...............

Do you not want god to be happy? Maybe he likes to see the infedels suffer. Wouldnt this girl offender be such a person god wants to see suffer.

You cant PROVE that he doesnt. So making ANY judgement is self-righteous and ignorant.

And thats a famous quote another poster here on ATS made. Im going to be using often.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Last post for a very depleat mind. "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever Believeth in him shall not perish but have everlasting life". God is love and would never condone beating this child. It is only Man the misconstrudes Gods will and teachings that perpetrate injustice and cruelty as this. Your woefully ignorant about the True God of this earth for the present god of this world is but a destroyer and lier but the true king of this earth is returning. Me thinks you will not be ready. Its obvious you are here to play games and try to incite folks, that tells me a lot about you.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Barkster]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

You cant prove it to be true.... and i cant prove it to be false.

Whats self-richeous is saying that you know either way.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

By your own admission, you've been having fun with this thread

Yes, it's grabbed you a lot of attention

You say so-and-so 'can't prove' God doesn't enjoy the suffering of ... who knows. ???? To whom do you refer, when you speculate thus ?

By the same token of course, as we're all aware, YOU cannot prove God (which god by the way ?) does enjoy, condone or even notice the suffering

Anyway, your posts are thick all through this thread

so how about some clarification ?

Who's this 'god' to whom you refer so often, for a start ?

Your god ?

Islamic god ?

Some other god ?

How many gods do you recognise, anyway ?

Hope you continue to have fun

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

You thinking that im religious only tells alot about you.

Its not about what i believe, but that you cannot know anything entirely so making any judgement is ignorant. I thought it would be a fun little experiment.

im leaving everyone alone now, if anyone still wants to yell at me use the u2u.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Anyone who is having 'fun' with this thread may as well administer the lashing.

I cannot get over how insensitive some people are to the suffering of others - humans or animals.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

As they say, if you don't learn from History, you are doomed to repeat it, right?

Also, insanity is defined by doing the same thing twice while expecting different outcomes... or at least that is how I see it quoted often. (but I still don't understand why people quote a physicist on psychological matters)...

I digress. Yes, you can take the middle-of-the-road attitude with this topic, like many others, but that doesn't mean that your argument is more valid in real-world terms.
This "punishment" is nothing but a bullying/torture tactic used by a Government that is hellbent on weilding reckless power upon a society too under-educated to even know anything better is possible.
And they keep it that way through this very sort of thing!

And BTW, "we" were no different, even in the terms I am using.
Do you not think that our Governments of past KNEW that their actions were barbaric and wrong? Of course they did, on some level. Problem was, they just didn't give a sh-t. Eventually though, their reckless abandon catches up to them in the way that they always do. Eventually, you are no longer the top-dog and the time comes to pay the piper.

They'll get their turn. They are paving their own personal road to hell as we speak. AS is this "western" world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join