It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are religious people Delusional?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Why would someone want to believe in God which he/she has never seen? Imo religious tales makes good storybooks but aren't they all delusion? They are just man made thoughts and conjecture? Or is religion a mode to control masses? Agreed many religious text promotes peace and self gratification but in the end is it not that hundred or thousands of year ago a man wrote his dreams/ delusions in a book? and same is being carry forwarded as different religion

Edited: In my long list of question the last I want to ask you is could a world exist without religion?

[edit on 20-1-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Yes we are all delusional. Do you suggest we only follow science? Because either way I am delusional. I never understood E=MC2, or much of science for that matter. So why would I stop following the teachings of one delusional peoples for another?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Nope I never said one should follow anything nor did I suggest that anywhere in my post. But if you say you are delusional to follow religion I will humbly accept your view.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Leave it to the human race to take something as life affirming and hopeful as faith and muck it all up. Delusional? No. Certifiable? Maybe.

link   

But if you don't believe in religion than how will you explain how everything works and an afterlife?

link   

But remember, many people are indoctrinated into their religion as children. It kinda goes against the grain, so to speak, to rebel against a belief system you were raised in.

Also, the belief in a benevolent god(s) is very attractive. If there is a God, then we can feel better about life events by chalking things up to His or Her higher plan. When something goes wrong in our life, we can seek solace in that belief system. And most religious groups are very supportive of their members; fellowship with each other is a very attractive tenant for religion.

And some people have experienced something they simply cannot explain in normal terms. For them, perhaps religion is the way they understand their experience.....and who are we to question that?

Thanks for the interesting questions!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Isn't that what one needs to find oneself using logic instead of flying people and storybooks?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

You are welcome and nice point of view.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain

Isn't that what one needs to find oneself using logic instead of flying people and storybooks?

Than it goes back to my beginning statement. Your implying using scientific methods to find logic. You go by evidence and that is fine. To me, I believe that science can't always find our answers. Because if you can't smell, touch, taste, see or hear than it does not exist.

I try to use logic but at the same time I keep my faith. I enjoy doing both.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Some have dared to use the 6th sense. I agree, some religious people can have their nut times, and even contradict the religion they are in, but try not to couple god with religion. its just a few peoples way of looking at creation.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Excellent reply and appreciate your point of view.
Second line.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
No more delusional than anyone else. Way I see it is that all people, no matter who, are deeply concerned with one main question:

"What happens when we die ?"

Since IMHO nobody has ever come back to life after they died, the afterlife (or lack thereof) is still a mystery. (Note to Christians: Yes, yes, we already know your arguments, so please spare us...I did say IMHO anyhow).

The unknown scares the (cuss) out of most humans, so they make up stories (Gods) and laws (i.e. religion) to make them feel less-scared about the "great-unknown."

For a simpler explanation, check out Plato's "Allegory of the Cave".

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

But if you don't believe in religion than how will you explain how everything works and an afterlife?

Science

2nd line

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by polychronopolis

Interesting..didn't come across that article before. Thanx for sharing.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
They are victims of causality and coincidence. The human mind has the amazing capability of creating fantasys to protect itself.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
There is a huge difference between spirituality and religion. Religion is all about BELIEFS, and anyone who becomes totally indulged in a BELIEF has effectively brainwashed themselves and made themselves delusional.

Once a person has committed to a "belief", they have stopped searching for the truth because any new evidence or theories that can challenge their "belief" they immediately discard. They are delusional in their "belief".

Religion claims it to be the be all and end all of the universe, religion holds the secrets of creation and life after death. It holds all the answers, just believe in it and have faith.

Religion AKA Delusion.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Are religious people Delusional?

Good question. Let's find out!

Some believe that an invisible, omnipotent spirit created the universe and all that is in it, in six days.

Some believe that the universe was born of a large explosion and that somehow, all the stuff from that bang mixed together in just the right way to allow life to randomly be born.

Some believe in life after physical death.

Some believe that there is no life after physical death.

Some believe man is divinely created.

Some believe man is the descendant on monkeys.

Are religious people Delusional? Are you?

It's all about your personal beliefs and if you want to think that religious people are crazy, go right ahead. We really don't care lol.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
My opinion is that there is a spiritual innate quality to the human mind to believe there is something pulling the strings of existance. If one were to take a deep pondering look at life, it seems magnificant. It makes us question whether there is something that both creates and destroys.

Without question, fundamentalists of any religion (my view) are delusional. I can accept the benign or benevolent spiritualists or unversalists (even passive christians or other theists). I kinda lean toward a pantheistic view.

There is wisdom in all religions and also alot of quackery that I just can not swallow.

Guess we will find out after this human earth suit expires! But just in case, I intend to follow my heart and try to be as good as person as I can be. Sometimes its a struggle.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I would say yes we can live without religion because we are what make things happen. God wont put food on your table or pay your bills, you do that. If we rely on a fictional character to fix everything for us then how would we survive reality?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

probably by getting an actual understanding of things work? that might seem odd.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join