It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 3.3 - ARKANSAS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
i know its small, but it surprised me, arkansas?
is the New Madrid fault getting active again? i hope not

2010 January 20 21:18:44 UTC
Versión en Español

Details
Summary
Maps
Scientific & Technical

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 3.3
Date-Time Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 21:18:44 UTC
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 03:18:44 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 36.078°N, 91.208°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
Region ARKANSAS
Distances 8 km (5 miles) W (266°) from Powhatan, AR
9 km (5 miles) E (91°) from Smithville, AR
9 km (6 miles) NNE (26°) from Lynn, AR
155 km (96 miles) NW (314°) from Memphis, TN
296 km (184 miles) SSW (197°) from St. Louis, MO

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 4.3 km (2.7 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 25, Nph= 34, Dmin=104.6 km, Rmss=0.66 sec, Gp= 58°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=6
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010rsck

[edit on 1/20/2010 by l neXus l]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Beat ya to it
, I posted it in the Quake Watch thread..

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
yeh well i think this one deserves its own thread cuz its freakin ARKANSAS!!!!!

hahaha

thanks for informing me

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Yeah, that DID catch my eye! I hope to god New Madrid doesn't become active.. I would be STUNNED if I saw one of those huge squares (7.0+) in that area... whew...

They say Memphis, St. Louis (and the Arch would fall), Louisville would all be severely damaged).. And experts say within 50 years, the big one will hit... (Courier Journal in 1987)

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax
Yeah, that DID catch my eye! I hope to god New Madrid doesn't become active.. I would be STUNNED if I saw one of those huge squares (7.0+) in that area... whew...

They say Memphis, St. Louis (and the Arch would fall), Louisville would all be severely damaged).. And experts say within 50 years, the big one will hit... (Courier Journal in 1987)

The Arch would fall? That would be sad to see.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Beat ya to it

where is that thread at?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
"Minor Earthquake Rumbles Through Arkansas

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - According to the Center for Earthquake Research and Information at the University of Memphis, a minor earthquake was recorded in Northeast Arkansas Wednesday afternoon.

The 3.3 magnitude earthquake occurred at 3:18pm about 5 miles west of Powhatan.

The depth of the tremor was approximately 3 miles below ground.

The Lawrence County Sheriff's Department stated that there was no known damage as a result of the quake; however, there were reports of tremors being felt as far away as Jonesboro over 50 miles away from the epicenter. "

www.myfoxmemphis.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Wow...Arkansas? Seems odd to me, but I'm no geologist or quake guru.

For anyone with knowledge about this stuff, should we be concerned that this, plus the recent quakes in Haiti and off the West Coast of North America are signs of something really big happening soon ? If so, what ?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
we get them quite frequently in that area

not uncommon at all

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I remember seeing something on the history channel a few months back about an earthquake back in 1899 or so centered in the same region.

They said it was so big that it actually changed the course of the Mississippi River down by Cape Gerardo[?] and the aftershocks lasted for a month or so.

I can just imagine if something of that magnitude happened there in this day and age.

Not pretty

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
3.3 is a pretty minor event. We had a 5.1... 5.2.. something of that magnitude last year which started in West Salem, IL and shook people out of bed up in Kalamazoo Michigan. Almost no real damage though. Here's the story.

Here's a 14 day tally of Earthquake activity from the USGS, which is quite hefty. Though keep in mind, some of these entries are single events being reported by multiple stations. Keep an eye on the time it occurred & magnitude.

Our planet is far more active than most people give it credit.

You tend to hear about even minor quakes such as this more often just after a major quake - for really no other reason than the topic has people's attention and new outlets are padding their broadcasts with news they know has public attention.

reply to post by polychronopolis

For anyone with knowledge about this stuff, should we be concerned that this, plus the recent quakes in Haiti and off the West Coast of North America are signs of something really big happening soon ? If so, what ?

Naw, it's nothing to be concerned about. The fact of the matter is, we know jack-crap about Earthquake prediction aside from spotting rough trends. Whether or not the Quake in Haiti or elsewhere could trigger "the big one" on the Madrid - it really doesn't matter, because when it hits - you're not going to have any warning. It's not like a tornado where we can gauge wind rotational speeds, or volcanoes where we can monitor for gasses or fluctuation in the height of the magma chamber. Even testing on animal supposed uncanny perception of such events has proven inconclusive at best.

Keep some emergency supplies on-hand, remember your fire escape routes, and go on living normally. For now, that's all we can do.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Lasheic]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

Beat ya to it

where is that thread at?

Here ya go:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

(Set to the latest page at the moment, which is page 7)

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

Have any of you Quakers noticed where on the threads I could find out about the lead up to the Haiti disaster? I used to walk the fields north of Jonesboro/Newport out towards Newark.
Lots of water . There is the Black, White and the Strawberry river confluence.
I guess this 3.3 was just a little north of there?
thanks Donny

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I saw this earlier and started to make a thread. Not because it was in Arkansas, but because the depth was 0.10 km. And I thought to myself...does such a shallow depth constitute an earthquake or a massive shift of the topsoil.

Your source says 5 km deep. Here is my source:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Aggie Man]

top topics

join