It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brown wins, nothing changes in DC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I am really finding it amusing that fellow ATSers are coming out of the woodwork calling Browns win "a victory for the american people". I mean really now? A victory over what basis and for whom?? that another GOP politician gets added to DC along with the rest of the Democrats and Republicans? What difference exactly is Brown going to make? His going to block the already dead "corporate" healthcare bill so that we may all remain on this current corporate healthcare system thats not any better?? Was GOP Browns win a snipe against special interests? This man voted against limiting campaign contributions and against the banks giving back bail out money and he'll be any different?

What else is Brown going to change? Even if the Republicans win 9 more races in these elections (which I doubt) the Democrats will still be majority and Washington will still be divided. Even if the Democrats manage to gain back their filibuster proof majority members in their own parties will maintain the divide of washington and the lack of progress. As if the Democrats didnt make themselves good opposition against their voters interests the Republicans are going to be different? We will not get any significant bills passed because both sides will be bickering and will hold filibuster options. All this does is make that more so a reality and you know what, the day Lieberman skipped towards the Republicans, the filibuster proof majority congress was already gone.

I think the funniest thing about this all is the hypocrisy of why it was good that Brown won. Some folks argued his win was a sign that Obama's mistake to put more troops into Afghanistan... I mean really?? and how exactly did troops get there in the first place? The GOP?? Many argued that Obama didnt keep his campaign promises and this was why Brown won! So essentially Obamas failiure to get a public option through, and his faliure to withdraw troops from afghanistan (and Iraq immediately) caused voters to move towards the GOP?? The GOP?? Are we full of memory loss here for the last few years?? Who on earth thought Browns win would change this if his party and even himself over history supported the above?

This election win was a wake for Democrats and their unwillingness to make a move and lead in DC. This election win was a wake up to Democrats and their disorganisation. What this election win wasnt about, was change of any kind in what DC was already going through. At the end of the day the Democrats already proved they could not unite and pull through a decent healthcare reform bill, we already saw a split in DC, and troop surge into Afghanistan would have gone regardless of whether the GOP or the Democrats were in.

So the "outraged" conservatives of yesterday are hypocrites for calling this GOP win "their voices" today because its nothing of the sort as history already showed us. Considering also that both parties have let us down over the last few years, I'd figured people would have proved their non-partisanship in the matter by reacting the same way to this GOP win. Obviously this proved otherwise.

I supported the Democrats because I believe a real healthcare reform bill could get through. I supported the Democrats because I believed back in 2008 like many here that the Republicans proved their incompetence in this nation. Now that even the Democrats failed me, Im looking towards third party progressives. Even though my differences with many fellow conservative ATSers would have not change, by the least I could recognize that both parties have failed their voter interests. This doesnt mean I will oppose everything and anything these parties put forth before DC in the future, but it does mean that up to this point, both parties have failed and time is way overdue for third parties to come in.

Both sides have been let down, both conservatives and Democrats, lets by the least agree to that. There will be no balance in DC anytime soon so long as both these parties remain majority.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It's hardly a victory of the people or a referendum on anything given that the 'people' were essentially split 50/50.

I see this as a 'good' thing in that there is no more filibusterer proof majority.

I'm a huge fan of gridlock in DC. The less they 'accomplish' the better off I'll be.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
It's hardly a victory of the people or a referendum on anything given that the 'people' were essentially split 50/50.

And how has that made any difference? The faliures of both the Republicans and Democrats over the years were not excuse enough? When the Democrats gained majority, we heard this talk of how both parties were the same. The day a GOP candidate wins, everything changes all of a sudden. To me thats just an excuse to celebrate. Nobody wins and DC was already split over the years.

I see this as a 'good' thing in that there is no more filibusterer proof majority.

So long as the Republicans and Democrats know they only have eachother to worry about, there will be no effort to represent the people.

I'm a huge fan of gridlock in DC. The less they 'accomplish' the better off I'll be.

As if this wasnt the case over the last year or so with the Dem majority?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The GOP doesnt support your interests with their support of the afghanistan and Iraq war. The GOP never supported your interests with their push for the patriot act. The GOP never supported your interests when many of their own still in office today in part supported the bailout. They never supported your interests when they stood behind Bush.

The Democrats never supported your interests for many reasons.

So why on earth are you making excuses about this being good thing? Especially after the years of bickering? Another GOP candidate added to the Dem-GOP power play in DC, and you call that balance.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

I said why. The less they do the better. If none of have done anything in the first place we wouldnt be bankrupt, fighting two wars, maintaining bases in every country, sending armed foot soldiers to collect extortion fees from elderly couples in rural America, etc...

People are dependent and stupid. Gridlock is the best I can hope for as long as I have to rely on the voting behavior of others.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
You got that right. Oh yeah, I'm sure the Dems are "shaking in their boots." Chalk one more up for the status quo. I'm amazed at the number of party liners we have here on ATS. On both sides. "Change"? Not in my lifetime.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizan
You got that right. Oh yeah, I'm sure the Dems are "shaking in their boots." Chalk one more up for the status quo. I'm amazed at the number of party liners we have here on ATS. On both sides. "Change"? Not in my lifetime.

Well lets be fair, there are many good Republicans and Democrats out there, well by the least depending on your interests on which side of the ideological lines. That being said both parties overall proved to us their inability to represent their constituents. I dont agree with many conservatives here, but I agree that the Republican party represented anything but their views and issues. True we can blame them for continuing to vote them in, but its no secret the Republicans have not truely represented conservatives over the years. Same with Democrats and their killing of the healthcare reform bill against the wishes of progressive constituents.

This isnt so much about our ideological differences as it is about the loss of connection between these two parties and their constituents. They both need to be voted out, and yet people continue to celebrate their win. If you have already learned once that these parties have failed to carry out your wishes as a voted, why continue to celebrate their wins?? This doesnt necessarily mean you should never support any Democrat or Republican. I still support Obama and I still believe he can make a differences, but the establishment of the parties as a whole hasnt done DC any good. The only balance is when the third parties assume majority.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Let's face it. It is in no politicians interest to serve their constituents except to, maybe, pay them lip service. I've been working for the Libertarian Party for 20 years. I'm not trying to convert you. Just stating fact. I come across a lot of people who believe registering to vote means jury duty. Disturbing, but true. I would be very interested to see who Mr. Brown's major campaign contibutors are. Then you will see what master he truly serves.

top topics

join