It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Some Help With Sub Compact Hand Guns

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Here ya go op.

passtheammo.com...

edit: also 10mm. teehee, can you tell I have a favorite?

[edit on 20-1-2010 by watcher73]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

I have a 9mm and was thinking of getting that sub. The .40 call. entered my mind too..but I hear that round can be less accurate. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher73

Now that is a small gun! What is that, one bullet? Thanks.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MarshMallow_Snake

Since you already have a glock 9mm that seems like the best idea. I'm not a big fan of Glocks, but if it is what you like, and are comfortable with, stick with it. A gun is useless if you can not comfortably wield it.

Since most personal defense scenarios happen at less than 15 or 20 feet a 9mm is more than powerfull enough. I would save the .40 or larger for a full frame gun and go 9mm for CCW.

Am I beating a dead horse.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
No, not at all. Most likely that is what I will do as I have the ammo already. Thanks for the input!

What do you not like about Glocks? It was the first gun, and only I have ever shot. Maybe I need variety?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I own a Glock 30 and it's by far my favorite. It's nice and compact and fits my hand perfectly. It holds ten .45 rounds, and i'm a pretty accurate with it.

You seem to like the smaller calibers. I have shot the Glock 26 and it's small and very accurate. It's a little too small for my hand though. You definitely need to buy the extended grip clips for it. Also, it only holds 10 as well but of 9mm.

The cool thing about the 26 is you can buy 33 round clips for it. It's not for concealed carry but it makes for a fun time at the range

Anyways, If I had to buy a subcompact over again it'd definitely be the 30. I haven't regretted buying it once. It just feels perfect for me.

If you do go with a Glock, you may like this video of some of the things you can do to make them even more user friendly.

Nutnfancy Glock Mods

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
there is really no reason why you cannot use what you have now. use the cash you were going to spend on the new weapon and buy proper, custom gear.

the key is gear and you cannot skimp one bit in this area unless you like getting negative attention due to your weapon "printing" or worse.....

carry what is comfortable in your hand (and what you already know). for me it's a glock 37 chambered in .45 GAP. it's full sized and easy to conceal because of my gear.

u2u if you want to chat a little more about this.

good luck!

AA

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
give the walther p99 a try. It might be too big (don't know much about guns) but I know it is a good GERMAN gun. So it will be perfect in every way

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Look at it this way. If you need to use your weapon, you are probably going to be in close quarters so something like a Walther that fires .22 longs will be perfectly adequate in that situation.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turtledub

Originally posted by JIMC5499
I'm a fan of the Glock 26. I had a friend modify a calculator case into a breakaway rig to hold it and 2 mags. Came in handy for college. Nobody ever questioned why I was wearing a calculator case on my belt, but, removed my calculator from my back pack. When extreme concealment isn't necessary I carry a Beretta 92SB.

can i just ask as a non american....why would you feel he need to carry a concealed handgun in college?!!?

Have you not heard about the virginia tech massacre? My youngest son goes there btw.

SM2

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
my preference is never carry anything smaller than a .357 or a .40s&w. I find a .380 or 9mm to be too weak with unsufficient stopping power. My daily carry is a custom 1911 fullsize gov't with pachmeyr american legend grips, and a full compensator carried in a galco miami classic shoulder rig. If you are looking for a compact or subcompact, I would suggest the Para-ord. Warthog. Quality weapon, nice safety features, very attractive.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SM2
my preference is never carry anything smaller than a .357 or a .40s&w.

if it does not start with a .4, my wife and i do not waste our time. the only exception .357 is illegal to carry where i live.

anything over .45 ACP is illegal (if memory serves). although, i cant for the life of me find a reason why.....

OP, look into a non-resident permit from utah (florida is another good one). they are ALOT cheaper than any other state which requires a permit to carry (renewals are every 5 years and cost $10.00)

[edit on 21-1-2010 by anonamousantichrist]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarshMallow_Snake
reply to post by watcher73

Now that is a small gun! What is that, one bullet? Thanks.

Two shots and comes in many calibers.

www.thegunsource.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonamousantichrist
there is really no reason why you cannot use what you have now. use the cash you were going to spend on the new weapon and buy proper, custom gear.

the key is gear and you cannot skimp one bit in this area unless you like getting negative attention due to your weapon "printing" or worse.....

carry what is comfortable in your hand (and what you already know). for me it's a glock 37 chambered in .45 GAP. it's full sized and easy to conceal because of my gear.

u2u if you want to chat a little more about this.

good luck!

AA

Probably the best advice in this thread. Except for the underpowered .45 gap
. Hence a star from me.

SM2

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I forgot...here is a link to the Para warthog....

www.para-usa.com...

I guess it all comes down to personal preference really, if you like the Glock, go with it, I personally do not like any polymer handguns, not even the H&K ones. The Taurus PT111 in .45acp is another smaller gun, that i would personally rank higher than a Glock. This is an opinion based on personal expierance. I have owned a couple of Glocks over the years and found them to be wanting. I had one in .40 and the barrel developed a bulge in it after less than 300 rounds. On the other hand I know many people that swear by them.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I usually carry a full size handgun. Theres no right answer or old wisdom with this though as opinions are plentiful.

My opinion: carry whatever you are comfortable with. I mean that as, whatever you know how to use from muscle memory, meaning you can fire it reasonably accurately and can reload it under extreme stress. Train, train, and train some more.

Most police gunfights are between 7 and 21 feet. Alot of training for LE and Military combat pistol courses stress speed from holster to accurate sustained fire from this distance.

A little .380 you can shoot well with is better than a .45 that you can't operate effectively.

I carry a SIG P226 .40 in a strong side inside the waistband holster. It works well for my usual get up of jeans and t shirt. Thats the other thing people don't seem to account for when picking a concealment weapon is what sort of clothing they normally wear. Clothing thats tricky to conceal a weapon with is clothing that makes the weapon slow to access.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I have to agree with MikeNice on the .357 Sig. It's a round that is temper mental in some pistols and ammo varies more from one manufacturer to another due to powder differences in loadings. It's also a hand full in certain handguns! The Warthog mentioned is small but kinda bulky. I own one and I have given up carrying it due to it's bulk. My full sized Colt 5 inch makes less imprint than the Warthog. Don't underestimate the .380. Ammo for it by CorBon has ballistics of the 9mm. Thing is .380 ammo is getting pretty dear to find and purchase at the moment. Also check out several holsters for IWB carry. I have tried most and I have personally found the 'Cross Breed Holsters" the most comfortable for long term wearing in any weather. The large leather pad keeps it from digging the belt loops and the hammers into your side when sitting or turning your body! Check them out!

Cross Breed Holsters

Zindo

[edit on 1/21/2010 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
I would stay away from the .357Sig load in a sub compact gun. It is a higher pressure round. That translates in to more recoil, flash, and noise. In other words it may be a bit unruly for a short barrel light frame side arm.

Personally I would go with a .380 with Corbon DPX rounds or a 9mm with Winchester Supreme Elite 124gr rounds.

I agree that the .357 sig is not a good caliber. The 9x19 is nearly as powerful, but has way less recoil. The .40 S&W is the parent case of the .357 sig, and it is a much, much better choice.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I never liked the way they sit in my hand. Plus the clips can be a bit of a pain to load. My main beef is the price.

For the same price you can get a Steyr which, in my opinion, is a better gun ergonomically speaking. I especially like the low profile slide. It makes the recoil much easier to handle.

For less money you can get a Springfield Armory XD sub compact which I find slightly better in my hand. You can also get a Taurus Millennium Pro PT-111. It has a frame mounted safety and a better tactical feel. Both are cheaper and equal in quality.

Again, If you have experience with Glock, and like them, no big need to switch. If money is an issue you might want to look at Taurus, Springfield Armory, or Bersa.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Turtledub

Pretty much for the reasons already given. The college that I attended was in a bad section of town. I attended mainly night classes. There were muggings and rapes between the buildings and the parking areas. Security was pretty much non existant. I have a Concealed Carry Permit and am licensed in my State as an armed security guard. That I carried on campus was pretty much an open secret, but, nobody ever said anything except one time right after the Virginia Tech shootings, one of my Professors said "You are carrying aren't you?". When I replied that I was he said "Good. I feel safer now.". When I left class there were people waiting by the doors to walk out to the parking lot with me. During the six years I was there I never had cause to pull my weapon, but I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

One thing about 9MM's. The round has a high velocity with a standard load. I reload my own ammo and use a reduced powder charge, with a heavier slug to reduce the velocity. As has been previously mentioned, you are probably going to be within 50 feet of your target. As this range my changes to the load don't have much of an effect on the ballistics. I'm more concerned about having to shoot, missing and hitting somebody 200-300 feet away.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by JIMC5499]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join