It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Some Help With Sub Compact Hand Guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Hello everyone. I need some assistance from you. I am in the market for a subcompact hand gun, or a compact handgun, for CCW purposes. I currently own a Glock 17 (full size 9mm), and love it. So, I was thinking on getting the Glock 26 (sub compact 9mm) or 19 (compact). But, I was also interested in the Glock 33 (357 sig) and Glock 23 (compact). The 26 holds 10 rounds and the 33 holds 9, while the 19 holds 15 and the 23 holds 13.

Now, I have not shot the 33 yet, and I plan on it...but what I want to hear from you all is this - Which one will be better, the sub compact or compact...and which caliber? Have you had any experience with them?

There seems to be no shortage of 357 sig ammo around here, but the 9mm are non-existent.

Thanks for the input. Have a great day!

[edit on 20-1-2010 by MarshMallow_Snake]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MarshMallow_Snake

Why do you prefer Glock? Isn't there an other make interesting for you to buy?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Get the 19, or just use the 17.

A lot of people want a tiny ccw gun. A tiny handgun is worthless at any range beyond 10 or 15 yards. My ccw is a glock 34. It sucks to carry, but my god it is a freaking ass kicker. I use it in IPSC and IDPA comps also.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by downtown436]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

I own the 17 and I find them to be very reliable and well made. Plus, I am comfortable with the way they feel and handle.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Thanks downtown. I appreciate the response. I do like the 17, but it is pretty large to carry. I have a galco concealment holster for it, but it is still noticeable unless I wear a baggy shirt.

How do you conceal the 34? Do you use a belly band holster at all? I am considering one of those too...any thoughts on that?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I have a Springfield armory XD40 with the 4 1/2 inch barrel and one with the 3 1/2 inch which is the subcompact. It's great for ccw use the grip is also shortned for use of a smaller 9 round magazine, it also come with a 12round mag/grip extender. It would be worth a look, if you want to stick with glock you should check out glocktalk I think thats what it's called. That site has all info related to the system.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I have been eyeballing the Walther PPS 40 for a long while. Problem is only 8 shots with the "high" capacity mag. Love my Walther P22 with Stinger ammo.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Glock 29 is superior to all others as far as sub-compact. But if youre a real man like me you would carry the full size Glock 20.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
It is best to determine how you want to carry and go from there. If you consider an Inside the Waist Band Holster you may want to try a thinner frame gun that uses a single stack mag. My brother uses a CrossBreed IWB holster with a Sig P239 and loves it. The beauty of IWB carry is that you can also tuck your shirt in to conceal and you don't need any extra cover.

Several .380 variants from Ruger, Kahr, Taurus, Sig Sauer and Walther have gotten some attention lately and present a low profile.

If you go 9mm, the Taurus 709, Sig P239 or Walther PPS9 are thin frame single stack guns that fit comfortably against the body. The Sig P239 is available in 9mm, .40 and .357sig and has been a top CCW choice for years. The Sigs are a little spendy but they are extremely well built and engineered.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I know this isn't exactly what you asking about but I just bought a .380 Ruger LCP and man! - this thing is so light and slim you actually forget you're carrying it. Pretty accurate too for such a small gun.
Also have a Kel-tec p11, shoots great, is smaller than the glocks and costs about half as much. No misfeeds or malfunctions with either pistol.
If I had to get a Glock I'd snag the 36 .45. Happy gun shopping! take me with you - I get a contact buzz from tagging along

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

Thanks for that site. I will check it out tonight

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Inside the pants holster above my right butt cheek.

I carry a 5"1911 sometimes, the same way, and it is very hard to tell I have anything, much less a full size auto.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by downtown436]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Thanks jibeho! Some great info there. I will look into it.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

- thanks for the laugh! I will check out your rec's too!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I agree that the G36 is the best of the small glocks. Not to mention it packs 11 rounds of .45 acp, or you can pop in the full sized mag and have 13 +1.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

I agree that the G36 is the best of the small glocks. Not to mention it packs 11 rounds of .45 acp, or you can pop in the full sized mag and have 13 +1.

G29 packs 10 in the mag and one in the chamber also. The ballistics are in between that of .357 magnum and a .41 magnum.

edit: and i believe it's also possible to use the full size mag which would be 15+1

[edit on 20-1-2010 by watcher73]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I'm a fan of the Glock 26. I had a friend modify a calculator case into a breakaway rig to hold it and 2 mags. Came in handy for college. Nobody ever questioned why I was wearing a calculator case on my belt, but, removed my calculator from my back pack. When extreme concealment isn't necessary I carry a Beretta 92SB.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
I'm a fan of the Glock 26. I had a friend modify a calculator case into a breakaway rig to hold it and 2 mags. Came in handy for college. Nobody ever questioned why I was wearing a calculator case on my belt, but, removed my calculator from my back pack. When extreme concealment isn't necessary I carry a Beretta 92SB.

can i just ask as a non american....why would you feel he need to carry a concealed handgun in college?!!?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Turtledub

University campuses and the areas surrounding them can be pretty rough here in the States. I used to live in Las Vegas. One day while walking across the UNLV campus two men came up to me and lit me up with a can of tear gas/OC spray and proceeded to attempt a robbery. Thankfully, I fell back on my training and remembered I had a pocket knife...I managed to get out of that one, but it was at least two days of hell after that. Same thing happed to a friend of mine like ten years ago. Only he wasn't as prepared. I wouldn't go near a campus neighborhood in Vegas(and a few others around the city) without carrying.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I would stay away from the .357Sig load in a sub compact gun. It is a higher pressure round. That translates in to more recoil, flash, and noise. In other words it may be a bit unruly for a short barrel light frame side arm.

Personally I would go with a .380 with Corbon DPX rounds or a 9mm with Winchester Supreme Elite 124gr rounds.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join