It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is your god worthy of being worshipped?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
For those of you who believe in a god, why is it that you worship this entity? By 'worship', I mean to pay homage to, to feel an adoring reverence for, or to honour this creator?

One may argue that out of necessity their god has bestowed upon humanity the dichotomies of good/evil, peace/war, happiness/sadness, prosperity/poverty, health/sickness. and other contradictory situations that would lead some to question the benevolence of "God".

Why would you not just be satisfied to acknowledge the existence of a God/creator who is capable of dishing out some pretty nasty things and choose instead to worship this entity?

What convinces you that your god IS benevolent and therefore worthy of your adoration?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I am Saint Lefty, from the Church of Hendrix.

Need I really explain further?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
my god doesnt want worship

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
My God (Jesus) has given me life. He is understanding, forgiving, and loving. Without him I would not be where I am at in in my career, I would not have the girlfriend I do, and I would not have this happiness and peace that I was forever searching for.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TCHOP561

If you did not have your girlfriend, career, happiness and peace and instead had failed relationships, job losses and cause to be discontent and disappointed, would you still feel the same about your creator?

If your creator granted you the good things in life but bestowed upon one of your loved ones a tortured life, would that convince you of its benevolence?

These questions are not intended to condemn or reject your response to the original post. I appreciate your input. I am simply curious as to how individuals reconcile these things in order to maintain the belief that their creator is 'owed' adoration.

I have yet to be convinced that there is a creator. However there are elements of evidence, in my opinion, that a creative force MAY be responsible for the existence of, and order in our universe. I'd still be hard pressed to accept that this entity/force has masterminded the universe for purposes of goodwill or for mankind's benefit.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GoneGrey

What convinces you that your god IS benevolent and therefore worthy of your adoration?

Because my god is an indian that drinks thunderbird. He turns into a wolf and will cut you with his straight razor.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoneGrey
For those of you who believe in a god, why is it that you worship this entity? By 'worship', I mean to pay homage to, to feel an adoring reverence for, or to honour this creator?

Why does a child relate to his or her sibling?

Why does a child love his or her mother and father?

Why does a child honor his or her grandparent?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Not all children relate to their siblings, love their mother and/or father or honour their grandparent/s.

Those children who don't were probably not treated with benevolence by those same family members and choose not to feel or express piety toward them. I think that this could apply to a god/creator.

How would you respond to the questions you posed?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
As a Deist, my closest label, who has admitted to apotheosis or rapprochement to the Godhead, not to be confused with the non existing Bible God, I can tell you that the Godhead has no need or want for worship.

His ego it seems has surpassed the ego of the other, more insecure, Gods.

Regards
DL

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

Don't you know the the GODHEAD is alwasy supposed to be all caps?

As a Deist, my closest label, who has admitted to apotheosis or rapprochement to the Godhead, not to be confused with the non existing Bible God

But you have to see the irony that you call your god the "godhead" which is the name of the christian god in the bible.

Colossians 2:9

for in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily,

Acts 17:29
For inasmuch, then, as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold or silver or stone, graven by art and of man's devising.

]

[edit on 16-6-2010 by zaiger]

new topics

top topics

join