It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thermal Energy of the earths mantle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I did a quick search and found nothing appropiate for this.

Could we use the earth’s mantle for thermal energy…

Just like solar thermal energy could we use Earth Mantle for the same Concept.

en.wikipedia.org...

Solar thermal energy (STE)[1] is a technology for harnessing solar energy for thermal energy (heat). Solar thermal collectors are defined by the USA Energy Information Administration as low-, medium-, or high-temperature collectors. Low temperature collectors are flat plates generally used to heat swimming pools. Medium-temperature collectors are also usually flat plates but are used for creating hot water for residential and commercial use. High temperature collectors concentrate sunlight using mirrors or lenses and are generally used for electric power production. STE is different from photovoltaics, which convert solar energy directly into electricity. While only 600 megawatts of solar thermal power is up and running worldwide in October 2009 according to Dr David Mills of Ausra, another 400 megawatts is under construction and there are 14,000 megawatts of the more serious concentrating solar thermal (CST) projects being developed.[2]

Surely it can be used for something, or am I just slow and we already use it.

I will also put this out there could we use the heat from volcanoes but something.

If this is a stupid idea please just say so and I’ll admit my sudden idea was a waste of time.

In theory if its not been done, could it ?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
i think your thinking of hydro-thermal energy

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cloak

oh now i feel stupid.

Thanks no point in this thread at all now.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Haha

yep, quite a common practise too. Hawaii for example uses their geological energy resource and have done for quite a while now..

I suggest you make more use of google when feeling inspired like you obviously where when thinking about this. It can get quite frustrating when you have what seems like a brilliant new concept in your mind, only to realise someone has beaten you to it.

Seems like you have a great imagination. Don't be put off by these sets backs, its a very useful skill.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DizzyDayDream

I am reading up on it now, i know the correct wording for it

I thought i was on to something looks like i was just years too late. This was all because a article in wired.uk.

www.wired.co.uk...

i'll make google my friend and keep my mind going

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

Got one of those local.Roman built hypocaust using thermal springs for underground heating.The temperature dropped and the Romans returned home.
Heres a link.
Hypocaust

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tracey ace

thanks i will read about that.
locally too thats extra special.

thanks for the link.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

No problem.
My head is full of totally useless(to most)local info.Glad its useful to someone.

I appear to have lost the link to a diagram of the Derby one but i found this.
Cutaway diagram of hypocaust.

new topics

top topics

join