It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two New Studies Cast Doubt on Resveratrol

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Two New Studies Cast Doubt on Resveratrol

singularityhub.com...

New work produced by Pfizer and Amgen cast doubt on the manner in which health supplement resveratrol is said to work. Resveratrol is a substance found in moderate quantities in red wine, and is believed to help prevent the negative side effects of aging.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/20/2010 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Is this a surprise to anyone who noticed who conducted the studies. Gee big pharm. co. Of course they don't want people taking this stuff..it actually works and makes you healthier. My wife has been taking it for 6 months and i see the total benefits already. She look healthier and younger and has actually lost some weight from it as well. These guys don't even try to hide the fact they want to keep you sick anymore.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

If their research is so easily "debunked" by you, why hasn't a university researcher (of which there are hundreds of thousands, both at the graduate and professional level) written a paper showing that Pfizer and Amgen are wrong? I would think that would make for a landmark paper. It seems unlikely that Pfizer and Amgen have bribed every biological researcher from the USA to Bangladesh to China and Japan in order to suppress any contradictory reports.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

I am not debunking Resveratrol...I am supporting it. I am saying that the big Pharmaceutical co. are the ones who are lying.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa

If their research is so easily "debunked" by you, why hasn't a university researcher (of which there are hundreds of thousands, both at the graduate and professional level) written a paper showing that Pfizer and Amgen are wrong? I would think that would make for a landmark paper. It seems unlikely that Pfizer and Amgen have bribed every biological researcher from the USA to Bangladesh to China and Japan in order to suppress any contradictory reports.

There are many contradictory reports. I have read some new ones rather recently, but I don't feel like doing your research for you, at the moment. Reservatrol has tons of potential, but cannot be a money maker as long as it is a natural product that cant be patented....

Look at Omega 3 (fish oil). It was ridiculed mercilessly by the established medical community. Now, it is sold as an extremely expensive DRUG, as a novel tweak was made that allowed it to be patented. Of course, taking it the old fashioned way confers all the same benefits as taking the new 'drug.' Our medical system does not lend itself to a utility based approach.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I use Revesratrol for almost a year, I like it, now I do not take the pills I take the liquid form and I made sure the manufacturer has good reviews.

Most of my health problems now I take care of them with natural medicine and to tell the truth I feel better now that I had in years with pharmaceutical drugs.

But be aware is a war wagged against alternative medicine because it works and is going to get very ugly.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
the pharmaceutical companies are an abomination because you cannot mix money with health and have a positive outcome.

the fact is, pharma would never let an alternative way to better health even be revealed, so the fact that they are attacking something that actually can help is not surprising.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

There are many contradictory reports. I have read some new ones rather recently, but I don't feel like doing your research for you, at the moment. Reservatrol has tons of potential, but cannot be a money maker as long as it is a natural product that cant be patented....

Any natural product can be patented with a little creativity. All you have to do is alter a low-functioning side group and it becomes a "new molecule" under current FDA regulations. This is common (and disguting) practice in the pharmaceutical industry.

Also, I haven't been able to find any of these contradictory reports on resveratrol regarding health claims. I've seen plenty of research documenting its many metabolic effects, as well as its ability to trigger apoptosis and interleukin release, but nothing about it curing or treating anything.

Look at Omega 3 (fish oil). It was ridiculed mercilessly by the established medical community.

I don't recall it ever being ridicules. I recall physicians asking for proof that it has a positive effect before they will prescribe it, because this is basic medical science and common sense, but I don't recall anyone ridiculing it. Can you provide a source where a medical society, establishment, or literature source "ridiculed" it?

Now, it is sold as an extremely expensive DRUG, as a novel tweak was made that allowed it to be patented. Of course, taking it the old fashioned way confers all the same benefits as taking the new 'drug.' Our medical system does not lend itself to a utility based approach.

Wait, above you said natural products "couldn't be patented", but now you say Omega 3 (a natural product) only became popular when it was patented. Which is it? You can't magically change laws to fit your story. Either they can be patented (as I stated), which would leave no reason for Pharma NOT to patent and sell it if it were profitable, or they can't be patented (as you said and then changed).

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Developing a drug to mimic the effects of nutrients is how these drug companies do their work. In fact, I just recently read of a pharmaceutical company that is in stage 2 trials of a drug that mimics the mechanisms of resveratrol that reverse aging.

I'm assuming that these studies were either research to support the development of resveratrol type drugs (which turned out to be unsupportive), or they were used to cast doubt and negative publicity on other drug companies developing such a drug.

-Dev

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

Developing a drug to mimic the effects of nutrients is how these drug companies do their work. In fact, I just recently read of a pharmaceutical company that is in stage 2 trials of a drug that mimics the mechanisms of resveratrol that reverse aging.

I'm assuming that these studies were either research to support the development of resveratrol type drugs (which turned out to be unsupportive), or they were used to cast doubt and negative publicity on other drug companies developing such a drug.

-Dev

I agree completely that drug companies make a great deal of money from drugs mimicing natural products. I'm not so sure about the nature of the studies, though. Considering two major Pharma companies are publishing them, I would be hesitant to say they published these ahead of the release of some resveratrol-like drug, though it seems you have found the clinical data for one, so I could absolutely be wrong on this. Though, who knows. Maybe they have a drug in the works that will be billed a "new and improved resveratrol".

Regardless, Pharma always has some trick up their sleeves. I personally don't see resveratrol, in it's current form, as a very effective or worthwhile treatment. If a company can modify it in some way and then produce results (which would have to be verified in several clinical trials at major universities, like usual), then I could be swayed. We'll see.

Thanks for the input, Dev. You always seem to offer cogent thoughts on the issues.

[edit on 1/20/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Resveritrol is within the top 3 substances I have ever taken that have shown direct positive effects on my heath...

They are idiots, I have seen a complete loss of every Grey hair on my head when combined with 2 other substances...actual de-aging

They are corrupt...

One question

WHO funded the study?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Resveritrol is within the top 3 substances I have ever taken that have shown direct positive effects on my heath...

They are idiots, I have seen a complete loss of every Grey hair on my head when combined with 2 other substances...actual de-aging

If you truly had those results, I am very happy for you, truly. However, you have to see this from the position I'm in. I can NOT prescribe something for a patient without proper medical and scientific literature to support it. Doing otherwise could jeopardize the patients health and my career.

They are corrupt...

I agree onehundred and ten percent.

One question

WHO funded the study?

Well, since Pfizer and Amgen are publishing the studies, I would assume Pfizer and Amgen funded it, probably with money they made after they convinced every over-indulged idiot that they have "restless leg sydrome" and need treatment.

[edit on 1/20/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Interesting info, Mobus Vindictus.....!

Do you mind me asking what the other 2 things were that you mentioned impressed you? I'd like to read up on this.

Thanks,

John

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Big Pharmaceutical Co. do not have your best interest at heart and profit from you remaining sick. They are in the business of profiting from repeat sales of drugs...you can't have repeat customers if they are curing you. If people were inanimate objects then this would make complete sense, business wise. I have always said that Pharmaceutical Co. as well as medi-care here in the US only give you enough to keep you alive but not cure you of what ails you.

That is why they are always blasting alternative medicines and spreading false studies and propaganda. Makes you wonder why they banned vitamin B-17 from the US; because they know it has shown to be beneficial in curing cancers!

www.cancertutor.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Well of course that goes without saying... Your obviously an MD...

JUst was my little commentary that the most important and first aspect of any study I wish to know for my personal reasons is...

Who funded it

Very often I feel I know more of the study from that tidbit than reading the study itself.

But no lol, If I were an MD i wouldn't risk my medical license on it either...

sad litigious lil world we live in these days.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I would at the very least, be very skeptical of studies backed by companies that would directly benefit from the results of said study. As others have stated, unless a drug company can patent it, they are always going to ridicule the natural found "drug".

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Millions

My main staples...

Turmeric and or Garlic as a spice on foods...

Emu Oil on scalp and skin

Liquid Resveratrol 2x daily

Both Pomegranate extract (capsule) and whole Pomegranate

Black Tea as my Main beverage aside from water 5-10 x per day

I also use the dry sauna any chance I get to seat out heavy metal and toxins...

That's my anti aging routine...

Anything else is on an as needs basis, i'll pop individual vitamins and minerals on occasion if I look at diet and lifestyle and feel that I need...

But the effects of the above combo... have been nothing short of miraculous... My hairline returned to almost my early 20's almost perfect, complete elimination of Grey, almost no atherosclerosis and I can tell by my endurance and other factors... skin...I get double proofed when going out at night now...

There are factors i believe at work like anti cancer properties etc...

No way to know if that however is the case...

I'm definitively at least externally and energy level wise, years younger than I was a Year ago

major impact on skin and hair and effects of dihydrotestosterone for sure... also arterial plaque...

I would seriously give my left...urm foot.... to have the kind of money to be able to track my blood levels and progress weekly... so I could know Exactly what the effects are.... all I can say is I'm very pleased

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Well, since Pfizer and Amgen are publishing the studies, I would assume Pfizer and Amgen funded it, probably with money they made after they convinced every over-indulged idiot that they have "restless leg sydrome" and need treatment.

It's kinda curious how some drugs seem to cause other syndromes, that need to be treated by another pill, isn't it? You'd almost think they planned it that way...............Nah, what am I thinking!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

It's kinda curious how some drugs seem to cause other syndromes, that need to be treated by another pill, isn't it? You'd almost think they planned it that way...............Nah, what am I thinking!

If you take a class on human physiology and a class on medical pharmacology theory, you'll understand why we have side effects. Just because drug X treats condition Y doesn't mean it is totally inert in the rest of the body. A good example is tamoxifen, a very powerful and successful breast cancer drug. The hallmark sign that the drug is destroying the tumor is that the woman experiences hot flashes. This isn't a fun experience, I would imagine, but it's a side effect of the drugs pharmacokinetic action against the tumor.

You win some, you lose some, I suppose. Anytime people accuse drugs or current medical treatments of being the cause of all the world's ailments, I simply point to your ever-increasing lifespan and ask them why it continues to go up?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Ahh, what are you thinking...that is the question!....you are being a critical thinking individual...Now stop that! or the Robot police will come and send you off to the naughty place.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join