It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Natural Depression and Anxiety Treatments

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I made this list for another post a week or so ago. I was bored so I decided to add to it, and repost it for anyone suffering from depression and/or anxiety. This a fairly complete list of well established alternatives to pharms. Please pitch in with any alternatives you know of.

First Make sure your getting enough B vitamins, Vitamin D, Magnesium, Calcium, and protein. Also know that people with lacking Omega fatty acids in their diet tend to have depression problems. If you're eating a lot of overly processed food you probably are not getting enough. If you don't already eat fish, consider eating more, or purchase a supplement.

S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAM-e)
This is a natural amino acid. It is believed to increase serotonin and dopamine in the brain. I've heard success stories and would suggest starting here.

5htp-
This is a naturally occurring precursor to the neurotransmitter Serotonin, and worth a try. If you use this I suggest taking it on an empty stomach with no other supplements.

St John's wort-
There is some evidence that this herb works on neurotransmitters and can be helpful to people with mild depression. If you go this rout do not cheap out. Go to GNC and get their high grade stuff.
[Update/added] St John's wort should not be taken by people taking medication to combat aids. It should also not be combined with any MAOIs.

Passion flower-
Contains harmala alkaloids that work as a mild MAOI. MAOIs can be very effective, how ever some caution is needed when using them.
Here's a list of drug interactions en.wikipedia.org...

Anti-anxiety alternatives

Green Tea extract-
Has been shown to have a relaxing effect. One properties of green tea is a rare amino acid that can produce a relaxed feeling.

Kava-
This is an easy to find a ant-anxiety herb. The great thing about kava is it relaxes while preserving mental clarity.

Phenibut-
Phenibut is derived from GABA neurotransmitter. Not only is it a potent OTC anti-anxiety treatment, but also a nootropic.

[Update/added]

Rhodiola rosea-
This herb falls in to the class of adaptogen. For being Surprisingly unpopular this herb has been heavily studied. Research shows that it helps cope with stress and is useful in combating depression.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by mosesgunner]

[edit on 20-1-2010 by mosesgunner]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Don't forget your molecularly distilled fish oil! Omega 3 fatty acids are probably (for the cost) the best supplement one can take. Also, I just saw the scroll on the bottom of the news saying a study shows it slows down the aging process, as well....

edit: Oops, I didn't see it listed in your first paragraph. However, I think it deserves to be listed separately, as there are lots of studies showing the efficacy of omega 3s beyond compensating for a deficiency.

[edit on 1/20/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mosesgunner
St John's wort-
There is some evidence that this herb works on neurotransmitters and can be helpful to people with mild depression. If you go this rout do not cheap out. Go to GNC and get there high grade stuff.

I noticed you had a disclaimer about passion flower and being an MAOI. But, didn't have a disclaimer about St. John's wort.

Disclaimer:

Do NOT use St. John's wort if you are taking medication to combat HIV. It renders the HIV medication useless.

Here is a list of interactions with St. John's wort.

Note that it interacts with anti-depressants and MAOIs also.

Antidepressants -- St. John's wort may interact with medications used to treat depression or other mood disorders, including tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs, and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).

www.umm.edu...

So, don't take SJW and Passion Flower together.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Nutter]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Actually, any medicine processed via liver enzyme cytochrome p450 (or whatever it is) can be messed with by taking St. John's Wort (grapefruit juice as well).

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

I have Omega 3 there in the 2nd paragraph.

I did how ever completely forget about Rhodiola rosea. This herb falls in to the class of adaptogen. For being Surprisingly unpopular this herb has been heavily studied. Research shows that it helps cope with stress and is useful in combating depression.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I have St Johns Wort in the garden. Love it.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mosesgunner

I have Omega 3 there in the 2nd paragraph.

I did how ever completely forget about Rhodiola rosea. This herb falls in to the class of adaptogen. For being Surprisingly unpopular this herb has been heavily studied. Research shows that it helps cope with stress and is useful in combating depression.

There were many studies done by the Russians, if I remember correctly. They were looking for a 'leg-up,' if you will.

How about caffeine? It is by far the most used anti-depressant in America. Alcohol is by far the most used anti anxiety.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Thanks for posting!!

I think its an issue very over looked and hard to diagnose. I feel that its not a matter of swallowing some tablets and all is cured!!

Using natural remedies even if not neccessarily needed can only be benefical.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

My original list and caffeine on it. Some people would debate if caffeine is valid or not. It's been shown that nurses that drink coffee are less likely to commit suicide then those that do not. I must say that I use caffeine to brighten my day. I've also used alcohol to combat anxiety, and would not suggest it. I found my self with more anxiety after sobering up.

Rhodiola is pretty good stuff, I used it for a couple month.I've read that your not really suppose to take it long term.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This topic is near and dear to my heart, I was on Pharma Anti-depressents for years and got fed up with the drugged feeling and the side effects. I got off of them using a mixture of Valerian and Melatonin for sleep, with Saint Johns Wort for mood. I found that Saint John's tended to make me a bit irritable and increased my Anxiety and after some searching I stumbled onto L-Tryptophan.
L-Tryptophan
For many organisms (including humans), tryptophan is an essential amino acid. This means that it cannot be synthesized by the organism and therefore must be part of its diet. Amino acids, including tryptophan, act as building blocks in protein biosynthesis. In addition, tryptophan functions as a biochemical precursor for the following compounds (see also figure to the right):

* Serotonin (a neurotransmitter), synthesized via tryptophan hydroxylase.[7][8] Serotonin, in turn, can be converted to melatonin (a neurohormone), via N-acetyltransferase and 5-hydroxyindole-O-methyltransferase activities.[9]
* Niacin is synthesized from tryptophan via kynurenine and quinolinic acids as key biosynthetic intermediates.[10]
* Auxin (a phytohormone) when sieve tube elements undergo apoptosis tryptophan is converted to auxins.[11]

The disorders fructose malabsorption and lactose intolerance causes improper absorption of tryptophan in the intestine, reduced levels of tryptophan in the blood[12] and depression.[13]

From Wikipedia

I found that it had all of the mood regulating effects of Pharma anti-depressents without ANY side effects. Sex drive is good, I sleep well and feel very good. I also take Vitamin-D 5000 Mg a day, Magnesium 750Mg/day and Fish oil. Mix that with regular exercise over the summer anyways, and I have never felt better or been more capable of dealing with anything. I think perhaps the most important thig we tend to forget is the importance of exercise at regulating mood, 30 minutes of aerobic 3 times a week does wonders for mood, as well as overall health, sex drive, etc. I've found it completely possible to shut out all pharma from my life so far except for occasional ibuprofen and tylenol. Been sick 1 time over the past year with a minor cold/cough thing. Good post, the Pharma drugs are seriously bad news and I urge anyone on them to get off of them, they induce mental and spiritual imprisonment and death. Bad bad stuff.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gaborn415

I decided to post 5htp instead of L-tryptaphan. In studies 5htp was shown to be more effective. Essentially they are the same thing, but 5htp is a step closer to the end product, serotonin.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mosesgunner

Yeah, for sure. Of course it had a terrible rap due to that contaminated batch for japan awhile back. Gotta love hoe neutriceuticals are blasted left and right, but drugs that are clearly poison get a pass by the FDA. Not being a fanatic, as I know drugs have a place, but the fox should not be guarding the henhouse.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I used to have panic attacks that would send me to the emergency room with blood pressure over the roof.

Since I started on b6 and b12 shots for weight control my panic attacks had disappear, my general mood and well being is very good and the palpitations I used to have are gone also.

Is great to feel good again.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I dealt with depression on my own with no doctors or drugs.

It took me 4 months to deal with and I dealt with it every day and I also functioned the best I could on my own.

I know depression like the back of my hand for I monitored it every day every waking minuet and sleeping minuet. I must say I learn a hell of a lot of how depression works how it interacts with the body and why death is related to depression.

It took me 4 months to get through it, at the start is was a mild feeling and it progress quite quickly right up to the vary last night. Then the next morning I woke up with a smile on my face and it was gone completely no side affect it was a monumental moment to say I lived through it and learned why it happens. It take a strong mind and a vary logical presents of mind to look at depression as a change of who you are it's not a illness.

When ever you go through a big change in your life as I did you go through a physical change the only mechanism that the body and mind has is depression, it is a proses that purges all of what you need to shed to move on to your next lesson with out all of your old problems.

What I did was I created 2 of me and I looked at my self like in the 3ed person so that i can examen every thing I was thinking as a out side person, to evaluate it. If it was harmful to me I discarded it if it was helpfull I excepted it that it made me better. I all ways had death thoughts I excepted them and then I would say, how would that make things better.
And in the 3rd person I would say to my self that it would not so I let it go.

After 4 months of this I got to see that depression has a pateren that if follows once I understood that I had the knowledge as how it works.

I learned that it's a natural function of the human body, that after a trauma the human body and mind does this as a coping mechanism to clear you of this trauma. You can take the drug root but you only prolong it's proses you deal with it as a natural part of your human existence you will be able to deal with this on a more personal level. Remember your depression is yours it is internal not external if you learn from it you will own it and know how to deal with it at all times.

Well that is my personal experience of how I dealt with it, it has bin a eye opener as to how little our medical system really knows how to deal with this. It seams it's easer to medicate and let you deal with the problem on your own for they don't have a clue as what to do or say. It's quite amazing as how this dealt with.

My 2 cents worth.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Naturally occurring or not, a band-aid is a band-aid. Anxiety and depression are symptoms, not ailments. Whether you cover it up with Paxil or Kava is kind of irrelevant, if you're not addressing the root of the problem.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Look into Salvia Divinorum. Natures best anti-depressant

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Alcohol is by far the most used anti anxiety.

Alcohol is actually a depressant. Be careful; it probably won't help a depressed individual feel better.

I appreciate the list, but don't forget to mention there are other things we can do to relieve depression and anxiety.

1. Exercise.....raises endorphins

2. Meditate....calms and centers a person

3. Laugh.....it releases those pleasure hormones

4. Sleep schedule......practice good sleep hygeine (go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time, etc)

5. Physical contact....we all need some, even if its just a hug

6. Volunteering......helping those less fortunante is a great way to raise your self-esteem and change your perception

7. Sunshine.....try to get some everyday

8. My personal favorite.....CHOCOLATE! Close to serotonin, great for a boost now and then!

thanks for the great list!

[edit on 20-1-2010 by smyleegrl]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Actually before I started on the b6 and b12 I started to do many of the things you have in that list in your post.

It did help.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nomad451
Look into Salvia Divinorum. Natures best anti-depressant

That is an extremely irresponsible suggestion, considering that you know nothing of this persons physiological makeup or their prior experience with such plants.

Salvia Divinorum is an extremely (EXTREMELY) potent and powerful hallucinogen, and if one were to ingest it or smoke it without sufficient preparation, education and experience it could lead to horrible consequences.

Trust me on this one. Lady Salvia is not something to be played with, it is an incredibly intense experience and can be a tall challenge for even the most seasoned psychonaut.

Recommending SD for mild depression is like recommending pure heroin as a cure for a headache.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jsettica

I know exactly what you are talking about, panic attacks are not different, you actually know when one is going to take hold of you and then, you just lose control of your body.

Mine were always at night time, you think you are going to die of a hart attack.

Can no breath, I got to the point that I would get so sick to my stomach I will have to seat on the bathroom.

Lo and behold what a horrible feeling and this is not like depression they are two different things.

But like I said I work so hard to get over it, take control and regain my life back, knock on woods, after my doctor gave me a sample of pristiqe I think is what they call the new antidepressant I took a long look at myself and said . . . I can beat this.

And I did, but depression and panic attacks are not really related.

When the nervous system goes while everything in our bodies starts to shut down.

Our cholesterol increases, our blood pressure raises and our immune system becomes deficient.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by marg6043]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join