It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Museum of Natural History: The Known Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I watched this video for the first time last night and figured I should share. If not for the intellectual aspect, moreso for putting us in our place in regards of universal knowledge. Enjoy.
The Known Universe

[edit on 20-1-2010 by djvexd]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Simply stunning. Thankyou for sharing this awesome find!

It always tickles me in a frustrating kind of way that our observable universe is defined by how long the universe has been around. To see another billion light years out we have to wait another billion years! Seems so cruel!

thanks again.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I favorited that video a few weeks ago when I first saw it. Truly remarkable, but sadly it doesn't begin to express our proper scale in the universe. For instance, everything you see in that video represents matter - which is apparently only a trace constituent of the entire universe. Most of the universe is energy, dark matter, etc. If light and sound waves were mapped to an organ's keys - our senses would only allow us to perceive about one or two octaves out of 60+. Etc.

Videos like this are awe inspiring, but it's like looking at a 2D picture. Take that awe you feel and project it into the third dimension and... to be honest, to me it all kind of falls apart. It's so difficult to contemplate something THAT vast and THAT far beyond us.

And then consider that, in light of how very very small we are, that we inhabit a "middle world" which exists between the very large and the very small. Consider just how BIG we are compared to much of the universe's scale.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
My sincear gratitide and a flag and star for ya !

I've never seen this version. They keep making them more beauthiful.

I'd like to see one just like this but only our owne galaxy and it's funderful features.

The shear size of the universe is already amazing.
I just don't think this video gives a full out blowing idea of the size. I mean, after they leave our galaxy it gets incromprehandle to me at least.

But if we would see a video like this showing all major stars, nebula's like Eta carinea, and the eagle nebula.

That would be awesome !!

Well...
Thanks !!!

Peace !!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

Great addon Lasheic
It truly puts alot of things in perspective, especially when you realize that every thing is made up of these tiny particles and thier attraction to one another. Like I said before , almost impossible to wrap the noggin around.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
As redundant as this sounds:

We are truly NOTHING more than dust in the wind.

new topics

top topics

join