It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is your favourite president and why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I know most people on here will say either Abraham Lincoln or George Washington, lets try and keep this from 1900 and on. I would like a compelling argument debating the reasons why your pick is best.

My favourite president since 1900 has to be Dwight D. Eisenhower. I picked Eisenhower because he was a true free market politician that also believed in helping the poor and disadvantaged. His cabinet consisted heavily of professionals from private businesses. He had the income tax at an astonishing 92%
for any income above $400,000. He built the US superhighway. He did not interfere in private industry and let the market take control of our economy which lead to 3 recessions which fixed our inflation problem at that time. He also quieted down McCarthy who went crazy. He also stopped Congress from using the Atomic bombs on Korea and other areas. My problems with him were the start of Vietnam war, and a military expenditure of 10% GNP.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Thomas Jefferson or Andrew Jackson.............Simply because of their stance on banking and the bankers. America lost the war for independence as soon as the bankers took over our country. Just about every modern day President has been in bed with the bankers and allowed them to control and manipulate policy and government and the economy in some form or another.

Oops sorry...........you said 1900 on.......well in my opinion just about every President since the 1900's is responsible for where we are now and veered drastically off course as far as what the founding fathers envisioned the USA to be.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

A military expenditure of 10% GDP all the while lambasting the military industrial complex? Maybe he realized a little too late or he was just another political Presidential hypocrite. I don't know. But he wasn't all bad or nearly as bad as other Presidents.

la2

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
My Favourite has always been Bill Clinton, regardless of you opinion of his personal problems, he always had one thing others didnt, he seemed like a real person, didnt come across as if he was trying to be anything other than himself.

This was best shown in his recent interview about Haiti, while sat next to G.W Bush.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
George W. Bush.

Beacuse he showed me there are such things as "puppets".

Seriously, how much of and idiot is that guy? it baffles me. truly, it baffles me.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
Thomas Jefferson or Andrew Jackson.............Simply because of their stance on banking and the bankers. America lost the war for independence as soon as the bankers took over our country. Just about every modern day President has been in bed with the bankers and allowed them to control and manipulate policy and government and the economy in some form or another.

Oops sorry...........you said 1900 on.......well in my opinion just about every President since the 1900's is responsible for where we are now and veered drastically off course as far as what the founding fathers envisioned the USA to be.

I truly agree with you most presidents before the Republican adn Democratic Parties showed up were the best people in office. Isn't it funny once these two parties showed up everything went to h3ll.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by la2

Wow all I can say is wow............!

He's about as real as Dick Clark's youthful appearance.

And I'd argue a person's "personal problems" are what make them a real person or not.

One thing about America is we have too many DAMN LAWYERS in government. And Bill Clinton is a perfect example.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Bill Pullman from Independance Day.
President Camacho from the movie Idiocracy.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I would say JFK since he must have done something right for the people to get murked by his fellow government.

Edit: $&F.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Bill Pullman from Independance Day.
President Camacho from the movie Idiocracy.

That is not an American president and you have contributed nothing to this thread. if you wish to post here do not post what you consider comedic.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Hands down Thomas Jefferson- secularist, fan of farming, fan of non-centralized but localized government, Lewis and Clark, Louisiana Purchase, and didn't he translate the Bible into his own language?

As a runner up Ive always liked Truman- he takes over from VP and had to deal with a ton of stuff which I think he handled pretty well. But you look at Truman (33* Degree Mason) and he's so backroom, satanic I question whether or not he made ANY of his decisions.

la2

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

That is not an American president and you have contributed nothing to this thread. if you wish to post here do not post what you consider comedic.

God calm down, i think the Independance Day reference was funny.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Sorry dude I couldn't help myself.

If I had to pick one then I don't think I could.I have never been a fan of politicians.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Based on my memory I will have to go with Reagan based on his conservative economic strategies and his great skill with foreign policy especially with the Soviet Union. The Cold War ended due to Reagan's strong will and tact.

From modern History I will cast a vote for Truman. The man was sworn in and had to look at the Manhattan Project dead in the eye. Shortly after, the decision was made by him to bomb Japan.

Truman was a modest Midwesterner and this quote just about sums it all up. He said this to reporters shortly after being sworn in.

""Boys, if you ever pray, pray for me now. I don't know if you fellas ever had a load of hay fall on you, but when they told me what happened yesterday, I felt like the moon, the stars, and all the planets had fallen on me."

[edit on 20-1-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I have to break the OP's rule and go with George Washington. Not because he was great or anything. But because he rode down a bunch of farmers in Pennsylvania to collect a tax the fed just decided they owe.

It's because of his actions that this "free" country is a fraud. Those who fought for independence from a tyrant king got the shaft big time when the new federal government just stepped right into the kings place as tyrant.

He symbolizes the birth and death of the great nation of liberty.
Since the free country we were promised and fought for died that day there really hasnt been a president since Washington. Only figureheads in a tyrants seat.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Teddy Roosevelt. Absolute bad ass who helped this country achieve greatness in the 20th century. Huge list of accomplishments in his life and the guy was absolutely fearless. He was the one who went trust busting in the early 20th century as well which prevented our current situation from happening for a good half century. Also credited with giving one of the most leftist speeches in American Political history. I'd encourage everyone to read about him.

I like Thomas Jefferson a lot. However, the hypocrisy of his character, racism, and effeminate nature turns me off from naming him as my favorite.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

So how's the White House? Is it warm and have you gotten to shake Mr. Obama's hand?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
It is Harry Truman, hands down. He saved at least 1 million American soldiers when he ordered the Atomic bombs to end the Japanese war. My dad was a marine during ww2 and was on a transport ship heading for the invasion of Japan when the bombs were dropped.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Too bad the whiskey rebellion failed. I have often wondered what things would be like today if things had went differently.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Barrack Hussein Obama, ummmmmmm, ummmmmmmm, ummmmmmmm.

Because of him Americans are waking up, he lit a fire under our butt, which proves we will still align with one another against tyranny, regardless of your political affiliation.

Because of BHO we can unite outside of party lines, in the name of freedom.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join