It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is they are Technological Crown Jewel of Current Humanity?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
is the iPods, iPhones, Bluetooth, Camera Cellphones, and Predator drones are Technological Crown Jewel of Current Humanity?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Well, cell phones give you brain tumors so thats a no no, and the rest would be things people fancy. if your asking, are these things that a few hundered million people love, then yes.

But crown jewl? far from my friend, far from. Infared, well, actually cell phones too because of how they are used, are examples of huge milestones in technology. same with CDs, mainly because they are multi dimensional devices.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
One would hope atleast the mars rovers would be above ipods

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
all yours bases are belonged to us.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
You are using it right as we communicate.

The Internet is the single most monumental technology the Human Race has right now.

As Michiyo Kaku once said "We are a type zero civilisation, the internet is a Type one telephone system"

In the entire history of the Human race there has never been an invention that changed so many lives so quickly.

Even with the discovery of electricity it took decades for the technology to be common place within the home.

The Internet creates a union of information, a single place to store all of human knowledge.

I lived 25 years of my life with no internet... now I find that incredible to think how I managed without it.

All the best,

Korg.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
Well, cell phones give you brain tumors so thats a no no, and the rest would be things people fancy. if your asking, are these things that a few hundered million people love, then yes.

But crown jewl? far from my friend, far from. Infared, well, actually cell phones too because of how they are used, are examples of huge milestones in technology. same with CDs, mainly because they are multi dimensional devices.

Throughout 2000s the only most advanced technological artifacts that ever Mentioned by Mainstream Media is Digital Electronics, Predator Drone, and Any Advanced weaponry that isn't that sci-fi.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Crown Jewel?

The ability to not only reverse engineer the most complex structure known to man, the human brain, but to emulate it in a computer. We're not quite there just yet, but Blue Brain is ahead of schedule and progressing smoother than critics had suspected.

Right now, they've just completed their proof of concept - a working emulation of a rat's neocortical column. They suggest that within ten years, they'll have a full emulation of the human brain. Considering that they've only emulated one of them using one of the most powerful supercomputers on Earth... and we have about million neocortical columns in the human brain - to say nothing of having to build that one cell by cell and we have several billion neurons with trillions of synapse... it may seem like a far distant goal. But not really...

The first run seen in the video had to be built by hand, because we were missing a key component... gene expression. Currently, the same neocortical column simulation is being run on the molecular level to trace gene expression and find out how the body turns DNA into a brain. If we can do that, then we won't need to put a human brain together cell by cell individually - we can just grow a brain in a virtual environment and let it build itself the way it does during pregnancy. This also means that we can save computer resources because in 10 years, we will have powerful enough computers to emulate an infant's brain. While nobody expects Moore's Law to last the next 20 years after that - but we're already working on a replacement for the semi-conductor. Nobody really expects the PC market to crash with Moore's Law, but rather jump to a new paradigm before that happen - just like what happened with the vacuum tube. There are also several "tricks" and shortcuts they can implement via software to get the same patterns of brain activity without having to actively emulate them. I.E., it may be possible to run several critical regions of the brain necessary for meeting the goals - but perhaps not the entire thing all at once, but more selectively. To the emulated brain, it may seem more like it's thinking rather sluggish - such as we do after awakening and before our coffee.

Nobody knows if the emulated brain will be conscious - but Mr. Markram from the above video seems to suspect that such will be the case... meaning we're going to have to jump-start serious talks on ethics in regard to Strong AI and lay the groundwork for human rights concerns in regards to uploaded consciousnesses - should such technology prove viable. And if nothing else, such brain emulation projects should prove invaluable to neuroscience and geneticists by providing a fully functional simulation by which to compare and study human neural & psychological problems on a resolution unheard of before - and inaccessible without preforming the same experiments on humans that we do on rats & primates... which has just been out of the question previously.

So yeah... our Crown Jewel is still being shaped and set... but it's none-the-less here. A complete model of the mind by which to experiment and test new treatments, enhancements, and by which to find cures for mental illnesses that have plagued humanity for thousands of years. And perhaps even Strong AI ta-boot. The creation of a new sentient life form to keep us company until we discover true extraterrestrial alien intelligences... or discover we're alone.

In the meantime... I'd say Hubble is probably the Crown Jewel. The internet would be #1, but I see it as more of an expansion on the Printing Press - and it's also too obvious of an answer. In more general terms, the semi-conductor based computer would be #1 - because without it, we wouldn't know jack about the human genome, and we'd never have had the ability to monitor the vast amounts of data necessary to discover/explore the intricacies of Chaos & Complexity theories, or understand how emergence works. A phenomena so pervasive and integral to our universe, and so vital to our future, that some have taken to calling it "the science of the 21st century". Video : Skip to 50:00

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
As Michiyo Kaku once said "We are a type zero civilisation, the internet is a Type one telephone system"

To go Past Type 0 Civilization status all that we need is UFO Technologies

[edit on 20-1-2010 by masonicon]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
In my opinion the microprocessor is the 'crown jewel' of humanity so far.

Everything you mention in the OP requires microprocessors. Without them computers would still be the tools of large institutions

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I wouldn't call any entertainment medium or war machine a crown jewel. I would call knowledge the crown jewel...and there are more and more discoveries and breakthroughs almost daily. Grasping who we are, where we came from, what we consist of (the little pieces...the spaces in between spaces) and the universe that contains it all...THAT is the modern crown jewel. IMO

Just my 2-cents

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I wouldn't call any entertainment medium or war machine a crown jewel. I would call knowledge the crown jewel...and there are more and more discoveries and breakthroughs almost daily. Grasping who we are, where we came from, what we consist of (the little pieces...the spaces in between spaces) and the universe that contains it all...THAT is the modern crown jewel. IMO

Just my 2-cents

why The Breakthroughs and Discoveries that we seen in mainstream media is just the tip of the iceberg?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonicon
why The Breakthroughs and Discoveries that we seen in mainstream media is just the tip of the iceberg?

Technologically speaking? I'm not certain I understand what you mean. Are you saying that there is technology out there that far surpasses the entertainment and war machine technology?

Either way, Knowledge is the only true crown jewel. More so than ANY piece of technology, whether it be an iPhone or some Dark military project. It all pales in comparison to knowledge. Because without knowledge, mankind would have never moved down out of the trees and without knowledge, we will never traverse the galaxy and perhaps the expanse of the universe. It all starts with the mind and it's never ending capacity to learn, create and understand the environment in which we interact with.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Technologically speaking? I'm not certain I understand what you mean. Are you saying that there is technology out there that far surpasses the entertainment and war machine technology?

Either way, Knowledge is the only true crown jewel. More so than ANY piece of technology, whether it be an iPhone or some Dark military project. It all pales in comparison to knowledge. Because without knowledge, mankind would have never moved down out of the trees and without knowledge, we will never traverse the galaxy and perhaps the expanse of the universe. It all starts with the mind and it's never ending capacity to learn, create and understand the environment in which we interact with.

There's tons of Knowledge that suppressed and Suspended by all Powerful cabal

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

What?? Cell phones don't give you tumours.

Infra red is a group of wavelengths, and not a technology.

CDs are no more multidimensional than a cassette tape.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
There's many technologies that Suspended or Suppressed just for making Developments and Progresses to fit into Linear History

[edit on 21-1-2010 by masonicon]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Maybe what we egotistically consider "our technology" is actually just a result of the same self-organizing system (mother nature, god, the universe), that created everything, evolving.

We are just vessels for mother natures ultimate goal of eluding the next mass extinction level event.

She is tired of starting from scratch over and over again.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deny Arrogance
Maybe what we egotistically consider "our technology" is actually just a result of the same self-organizing system (mother nature, god, the universe), that created everything, evolving.

We are just vessels for mother natures ultimate goal of eluding the next mass extinction level event.

She is tired of starting from scratch over and over again.

Mainstream science is asshole because they says Intelligence and Technologies whatever forms that they takes are just nothing more than Byproduct of Random Chances

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Throughout 2000s much of the Technology are centered on Entertain and War Machine(according to mainstream sources)

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Deep fat pressure fryer. Makes the best fried chicken you ever ate... crisp,crunchy on outside, moist,tender on inside. Oh, fried pickles, hotdogs, oh, and chicken fried steak...lawd have mercy.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deny Arrogance

Excellent thinking!

I've not heard of or thought of that idea before but it seems obvious now. Our environment occasionally detroys most complex organisms but our intelligence may enable us to protect ourselves and enough other species or at least travel to another suitable planet.

At the current rate we will end up destroying ourselves before the next natural ELE. I wonder what Mother Nature will come up with next time if we do?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join