It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there anything more "evil" than Satanism?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Couldn't agree with you more if I tried... That's exactly why I said 'usually religious', but an argument could be made that Atheism is a religion unto itself...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Satanists, Luciferians, whatever you want to call them are just as deluded and backward as any other adherent to any other religion. Faith is telling yourself you believe something that deep down you know isn't true. It doesn't matter if the object of their devotion is the invisible sky daddy or the dude in red spandex with a pitchfork. It aint real.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I think the answr to the OP is ..........nothing is more evil than Satanism......and everything is more evil than Satanism. Simple really, forget the offical definition of evil, everyone has their own idea on what evil is, just as they have their own opinion on what one religion means vs. another.

True Satanism is not how it's portrayed in the media, there are no sacrifies to a god, it's all about ones self and personal fulfillment.

True Christianity isn't how it's portrayed in the media, they don't kill homosexuals anymore, nor anything else "evil" in the old Testament.

Almost every mainstream religion has radicals in it............do they define the religion as a whole? Is the Reverend Phelps a true Christian since he goes around spouting hate with his congregation everywhere? He is a Christian no doubt about it........so do we use him as the shining example, or maybe someone a little less radical?

In the end, I think it's best left up to the individual to decide........labels and misrepresentations are the true evils in this world.....just my two cents.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Atheism is most certainly a Religion. It is a belief in something the believer can't prove or know. Literal Atheism is not even possible. To claim to know everything about the Universe(s) is an intellectual lie and one would have to know exactly that to be a literal Atheist. Therefore, Atheism is faith based.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
After thinking about this more, evil can only be ascribed to an individual. In any group, Satanic or not, there could be an evil person.

I think these Satanic groups are a bit like Masonry. A group of overgrown adolescents who have fun with their secrets and camaraderie. I'd imagine most claiming to be Satanists just invent it as they go along. Their literature is most certainly fabricated out of thin air, based on the Judeo-Christian concept of Satan.

Even when a group like the Nazi's or Terrorists commit evil acts, it is usually under orders from the individuals who are the source of the evil.

For instance Jim Jones of the Jonestown Massacre fame was evil. His followers, the victims could not know that, because out of a need in their lives he pretended to fill, they had been misled.

I'd guess that a person who could be defined as evil is quite literally a Sociopath, who feels no emotion towards others and who can kill or harm others without guilt or remorse.

Many in our governments could be labeled evil properly. They do things that hurt many people with no remorse. The halls of Congress are filled with Sociopaths and Snake Oil Salesman who could care less who they hurt.

I don't think evil necessarily manifests itself through groups like Religions. It just seems that way because evil people see religious people as easy targets and easy groups to control and brainwash.

Sadam was evil and he raised his Sons to be evil and surrounded himself with other evil men. Most of his citizens however where just trying to avoid the mass graves and stay out of his children's way. Even so I'd imagine many who served him in his evil plans, did so out of fear and could not themselves be considered evil.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeralMonkeyMagic

Originally posted by miriam0566

Originally posted by silent thunder
Just out of curiosity, is there a more evil "-ism" than Satanism?

christian clergy

not only do they know that what they do is against god's will, but they do it in god's name.

just like i could pretend to be a physicist... but though i SAY i'm a physicist, doesn't mean i know anything about the fundamentals or any of the basic practices... just because i wear a fancy white lab coat - doesn't mean i know any more about physics than the next man/woman..

not what i meant at all.

when talking about "evil", obviously god's moral standard is involved.

with satanist, they are straight forward. they are clear about who they worship and why. christian clergy however are different. they know what the scriptures says and yet they continue to teach their own doctrine. they are more concerned with filling their pews with collection bearing patrons than they are with "worshipping god in spirit and in truth".

they lie and mislead the flock and do it in the name of god. they paint god to be a monster by their actions. they claim god brings calamity on man when the blame lies with chance. they make people feel discouraged when they arent "blessed" and they rape the people of money since apparently god wouldnt help them unless they pay.

because of them, a god of "love" is induced to torture people until they convert, otherwise they "burn in hell". a doctrine not supported by the bible.

so which is more evil from god's viewpoint? the rebel, or the conniving apostate?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

This could quite possibly be the seventh sign of the Apocalypse, but...

I actually agree with you!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Yes, there is. It's called sin.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Man!... People!

Are you losing the plot?

I am not squared neither round, but man...

Its evil enough to not look for anything even more evil even if there is ...

I this not enough ???

What are you people mumbling about ?????????????????????????????????

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Atheism is most certainly a Religion. It is a belief in something the believer can't prove or know. Literal Atheism is not even possible. To claim to know everything about the Universe(s) is an intellectual lie and one would have to know exactly that to be a literal Atheist. Therefore, Atheism is faith based.

Atheism isn't defined by a belief. It's defined by a lack of belief.
It doesn't take any faith at all to not believe something.
Atheist don't claim to know everything about the universe. They in fact embrace the fact that they don't know everything. But they do know a fairy tale when they hear one.

It's the religious people in the world that solidly claim to know everything.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
dear silent thunder. religion is the root of all evil. when moses was exield from egypt , god told him to go back and free his people. the pharoh refused. so god not only killed him, but every first born son for 4oo years. is this not an act of pure evil? how many more malicious crimes against humanity have been commited in the name of god over the centuries? satanisim is NOT about being evil for the sake of evil. just because some people commit evil acts in satans name dose not mean satanisim is evil. but to answer your question "is there anything more evil than satanists", yes there is. the U.S government!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by socialmisfit

OK, if you are going to side up with those of us opposed to organized religion, at least do so from an informed and factual base... 'God' did not kill the Pharoah, nor the first born for 400 years... Not in the Biblical account, and not in reality... Please stop, you're making us all look bad...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

ok. im the first to admit that my biblical studies have been lacking to say the least. throw me a bone so i can educate myself and dont right me off. knowledge is what we all seek, that is why im here.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by socialmisfit

No prob, just don't want you to get ripped to shreds... If you're gonna do 'Bible Battle', you better read it first... Several times...

Here's a good online source for all things Bible: Christnotes.org

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by metalholic

I believe in an afterlife but not necessarily heaven of Abrahamic religions.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

the bible is somthing i have read and studied in depth, i was obsessed with it ten years ago. but i found myself becoming what i hated, a preacher ( for anti religion), so i let it go. i also lost my entire book collection ( over 600 books) half of which was religious related, to floods, (maybe a sign from god, lol).
but old habbits die hard and the passion is re-emerging since joining ats. thanx for your heads up, i must start frequenting the library again.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

and i bookmarked your link, thanx

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
There is no such thing as "good" or "evil".

These concepts are entirely subjective, depending upon one's point of view.

For example, during WWII Nazis and their allies viewed their enemies as "evil", while their enemies viewed the Nazis as "evil".

Who was right and who was wrong ? Depends upon what side you were on...

Example #2...in the early USA, settlers viewed Native Americans as "evil savages", while the Native Americans viewed the settlers as "evil" land-stealers. Likewise, Spanish conquistadores viewed the Mayans as "evil savages", so they killed them, while the Mayans viewed the conquistadores as "evil murderers".

Who was right and who was wrong ? Depends upon what side you were on...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by polychronopolis

I don't think I would have used the Nazi's as an example...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a24f7815ed0e.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by polychronopolis

I don't think I would have used the Nazi's as an example...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a24f7815ed0e.jpg[/atsimg]

The example still works when you stop considering those people to be human, and instead dehumanize them to the level of social parasites, roaches, demons, or whatever. Then killing them becomes righteous, noble. It becomes a good and pure act once again. Most all genocides involve vigorous dehumanization campaigns. It's hard to kill another human being, but slaying monsters is a glorious endeavor.

Consider, for a moment, that all those people in that picture were convicted child molesters. Would they still be considered human beings in your eyes while looking over casefile after casefile of vile inhumane actions that I can't even bring myself to suggest? Would you execute a cell block full of chomo bastards without hesitation? Would it be a noble act, or an atrocity? Most here would say (if prior experience holds true) that they would execute every last one of them personally and righteously.

I couldn't. Not because of lack of want to do so, but because I cannot allow myself to view them as inhuman - no matter how inhuman their actions may seem to me. Albeit, I've never been put in that situation... and the situation is a large determinant of how you react, regardless of how "good" a person you are. The Stanford Prison Experiment demonstrated that little bit of social psychology quite astutely.

Going by pure statistics, were we both in Nazi Germany during the Third Reich and ordered to execute those people - regardless of how we personally felt - we probably would have done it, and later rationalized it as a good act to keep from a mental breakdown. The Milgram experimented was perhaps one of the most unethical experiments devised... and also one of the most vitally important.

In regards to Atheism as a belief system, I have trouble reconciling that concept. While some self-proclaimed "Militant Atheists" proactively announce their position of disbelief, the vast majority of Atheists I've encountered are Atheistic to the concept of god in the same way they are Atheistic to the concept of cold fusion. Possible? Sure. Likely? No. It's simply a non-issue without sufficient evidence. The only reason so many make it an issue is because of the harassment they personally face or because of the intrusion that religious views present in society - be it governmental, educational, moral, or cultural.

Personally, I'm more in the Deist category. I believe in god, but I recognize the fallacy of fine tuning arguments and without positive evidence to back up my belief - I concede that my belief is irrational. Deism used to be belief based on reason, not faith. Reason is a double edged razor, though it seems, because it has shown in light of the last few centuries of scientific discovery that Deism is faith based at it's core. I can accept that.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join