It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. charges 22 with bribery involving arms sales

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

U.S. charges 22 with bribery involving arms sales

www.reuters.com

An executive for Smith & Wesson Holding Corp and 21 others have been charged with violating federal bribery laws involving the sale of weapons and protective gear, the U.S. Justice Department said on Tuesday.

The indictments accused the individuals, including Smith & Wesson Vice President for Sales Amaro Goncalves, with violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, or FCPA, and conspiracy to commit money laundering involving the sale of items including guns and body armor.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I think that it is interesting that a Vice President of Smith & Wesson was indicted for a felony.

Why or how did the FBI come to target the Smith & Wesson Vice President for a sting operation I wonder. Fishing trip? It'll be interesting to see if other gun company executives are also targeted in the future.

The other 21 who were indicted had some other interesting people among them as well.

They don't want to go after crooked banksters or other crooks who are destroying the economy though.

This may be a very interesting case to unfold.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Among those charged was the chief executive of Protective Products of America Inc, R. Patrick Caldwell, who previously worked for the U.S. Secret Service for 27 years and was in charge of the division for the vice president's protection.

I find this more interesting then the guy from Smith and Wesson.

www.thebusinessage.com...

Mr. Caldwell joined PPA in January 2009 as the Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing where he was responsible for all aspects of the Corporation’s sales and marketing efforts including government sales. Formerly, Mr. Caldwell served as Deputy Assistant Director, Office of Protective Operations, U.S. Secret Service. Mr. Caldwell spent 27 years in the U.S. Secret Service in a number of key positions, including Special Agent in charge of the Vice Presidential Protective Division. Mr. Caldwell served in the U.S. Marine Corps and received the Silver Star for valor and the Purple Heart for service in Viet Nam. Mr. Caldwell has a Bachelor of Art degree from Clemson University and he continued his education at the Center for Creative Leadership in the Senior Executive Service Development Program in 2002.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848

Among those charged was the chief executive of Protective Products of America Inc, R. Patrick Caldwell, who previously worked for the U.S. Secret Service for 27 years and was in charge of the division for the vice president's protection.

Yes, it is very interesting who all was indicted.

And to think that they screen people to work in the secret service.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
In many countries around the world backsheesh is a way of life. Especially after they have done business with the U.S government.

baksheesh, bakshis, bakshish, gratuity, pourboire, tip
fringe benefit, perk, perquisite - an incidental benefit awarded for certain types of employment (especially if it is regarded as a right); "a limousine is one of the fringe benefits of the job"

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848

www.thebusinessage.com...

Mr. Caldwell joined PPA in January 2009 as the Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing where he was responsible for all aspects of the Corporation’s sales and marketing efforts including government sales. Formerly, Mr. Caldwell served as Deputy Assistant Director, Office of Protective Operations, U.S. Secret Service. Mr. Caldwell spent 27 years in the U.S. Secret Service in a number of key positions, including Special Agent in charge of the Vice Presidential Protective Division. Mr. Caldwell served in the U.S. Marine Corps and received the Silver Star for valor and the Purple Heart for service in Viet Nam. Mr. Caldwell has a Bachelor of Art degree from Clemson University and he continued his education at the Center for Creative Leadership in the Senior Executive Service Development Program in 2002.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by JBA2848]

this is the exact problem with the revolving door of big business and gov't

i don't doubt they thought they could get a "pass" considering his gov't connections and contacts

probably hired him to reveal loopholes and is why this even took place

seems it's all about skirting loopholes,,, and sidestepping

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by shortywarn

I see this guy being investigted as possibly part of the problem with the security around the POTUS. I never heard of so many lapse of security around the POTUS in the past few POTUS every since Kennedy. So does this guy pull strings to make threats against the POTUS to try and stop his investigation a person who says the POTUS can't stop the status quo of secret deals of life long people in government. Was it a i'll show you my connections as a threat? He was a head honcho in the POTUS protection Secret Service.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by JBA2848]

top topics

join