It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator Jim Webb To Reid: No Vote Before Brown Is Seated!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I have to say that I am extremely proud of one of my Senators at this very moment, and I can only hope that my other Senator (Mark Warner), soon follows suit in likewise words of wisdom. The bottom line is that Senator Jim Webb quite literally just stuck a dagger in Harry Reid's side:

On To Plan C

Senator Jim Webb puts out a statement that puts the notion of a quick Senate vote out of reach and pretty much makes a certification fight moot:

In many ways the campaign in Massachusetts became a referendum not only on health care reform but also on the openness and integrity of our government process. It is vital that we restore the respect of the American people in our system of government and in our leaders. To that end, I believe it would only be fair and prudent that we suspend further votes on health care legislation until Senator-elect Brown is seated.

And good luck getting Lieberman to vote for cloture this week anyway.

Since I am having a tough time finding this story being published by the MSM as of yet, here are additional links through which you can verify such:

Riehl World View: Jim Webb: Suspend Further Votes On Health Care Until Brown Is Seated.

Below The Beltway: Jim Webb: Seat Scott Brown Before We Vote On Anything Else.

UPDATE: Just as I was typing this, the NYT confirmed this quote as genuine:
G.O.P. Takes Massachusetts Senate Seat.

Here is the exact portion of the report which mentions Senator Webb's comment within the linked NYT Article:

There were immediate signs that passage of the bill could be far more difficult now. After the results were announced, one centrist Democratic senator, Jim Webb of Virginia, called on Senate leaders to suspend any votes on the Democrats’ health care legislation until Mr. Brown is sworn into office. The election, he said, was a referendum on both health care and the integrity of the government process.

[edit on 1-19-2010 by TheAgentNineteen]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I got to say that he said the right things.

He gets a big thumb up from me.

I hope Washington wakes up. IMO this wasn't an attempt to just put in a Republican. I really think the people of Massachusetts have sent a message.

Tea party anyone?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I know the type of health care the USA can have, even when free, and it's a good system. Never mind what you hear the nutjobs spouting on the radio. It WORKS for real in other countries. Sometimes there are mistakes, yes, but the biggest mistake is not having access to help. However the method they are going about it is completely wrong with such an astounding national debt.

I think the only man who can figure out the mess and teach the government to truly take care of their own is Ron Paul. Axe the military adventures / projection and set up a national social health net that takes into consideration, income, both corporate and personal. Or have a quota card where so many private clients get in and those approved through the social net are covered by a medicaid type plan. Hard to administer, yes. But that's part of the problem. After the pains are ironed out people will learn quickly to not take such a blessing for granted.

A mostly "free" system is indeed needed no matter what. And that can happen just from cutting the military projection, completely invisible to the tax payer. That is, once the debt is eliminated and the ones thieving the system are properly lynched by the justice system. Tackle the debt and get it over with and make the USA the genuine shiny Harley Davidson low tail it used to be, not some made in Asia knock off it has become.

Dreams... Dreams, dreams dreams...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Hey, isn't that the gun totin' Democrat?
Good for him.
He knows what his party is capable of attempting and he is putting his foot down just as the people are speaking.

I just got home and I think I need to turn on MSNBC.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Big thumbs up to Senator Jim Webb!

Second line.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by sos37]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
KUDOS to Senator Webb! He is actually acting like a true elected official. If the Democrats want to be taken seriously, they need to seat Senator Brown before they try to ram the unpopular Health Care bill down our throats. The people spoke yesterday in one of the most BLUE states in our union. The message was "listen to us"!!!! Don't sit in the ivory tower and pretend to know what is good for us without asking. The arrogance of the left wingers is astonishing! If they do try to "pull a fast one" on us again, they will have a very unwelcome surprise come the November elections! Stop the arrogance and selfishness and listen to us.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I agree with Webb, they should quickly confirm Brown, then get down to business with the health care reform bill. That way the illusion of the two party system will still be upheld.

new topics

top topics

join