It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lunar oddities, courtesy of Apollo 8

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
One of my favorite pastimes on the web is browsing historic images both at the Library of Congress and the Life Archive via Google. On my most recent excursion, I was flipping through some pictures from the 1960s when I can across some color images of the moon taken from Apollo 8.

One of them got my attention.

From there, I entered 'Apollo 8' as my search terms (in the Life Archive at Google) and found some more... one of them was nearly identical to the first one except that it was turned upside down.

NASA has this little trick they do with lunar pictures and it is to rotate them, invert them, flip them over on their side. Ind to be sure, if you flip a picture a certain way, you tend to lose your perspective.

The images here are the two I found. One is right side up, as presented and the other, flipped over to match the first. I have taken this set and spun them every which way and this does, for my eyes, seem to be the best perspective.

One other thing; I won't tell you what I think I see. That's up yo you if you are interested in the sort of thing.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ff408c9d74f.jpg[/atsimg]

NOTES:

1. The pictures here were combined into a single image and compressed to 10% in JPG format. There may have been further compression in the upload process to ATS... I really don't know for sure. But to get the uncompressed versions, follow the directions below to the originals.

2. The original images can be found by going to Google, clicking on the 'Images' link, then clicking the Life Archive link. From there, type in 'Apollo 8'. They were located on Page 4 and Page 9 of the results for my visit.

EDITS:

1. Replaced huge images with crops.

2. Removed unused coding.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by redoubt]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Well, I tried.

I dont see. I imagine you will enlighten us to your finds at some point.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

I will, enlighten that is... but to begin with, it is as much a test for my old eyes as for anyone's. You know, I am curious whether I am chasing dragons in the passing clouds or if what I think I see, is something others think they see too.

It's not a grey planting a garden. Nothing that easy, lol. It is about certain shapes, angles and surface feature reflections that suggest something more.

The image was taken from an orbiting spacecraft in 1968, with a camera and res of the day.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It looks like there is something, in both shots. Towards the middle?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I see a dinosaur but that would be preposterous. Just my mind looking for familiar shapes.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Pyramids?

Awwwww come on, redoubt!!! tell us!!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Hi Redoubt,

Thanks for the link,

I see lots in your image, I'm beginning to feel less alone now :>)

I see a gray behind a square headed being, a sort of sheltered area with what looks like a large head with a wide open mouth. There is more there.

Star and Flag. Good find,

Mob

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Hm that's interesting, they're not craters because of the way the shadows are formed. It could be two circular objects overlapping each other, which is my guess.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Check your u2u Redoubt.

Got a question for you.

Thanks.

Oh also a correction for you, I said square shaped head I meant body, the head is round.

Mob

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies, all.

Below are both images, cropped to the area in question and in their original configuration... meaning they are upside down to each other. NASA likes doing this.

In each image, I have highlighted certain areas that got my attention. They are the same in each photo, but again, just flipped over. I have also cropped and enlarged one section in each image and connected them to their source with a white line.

There are notations describing what I 'think' I see. Remember, these images were taken from Apollo 8 in 1968.

Original web locations for both full images are detailed in the OP.

These images got my attention for displaying things that just didn't appear entirely natural... but lights and shadows can play tricks. beyond that, I just found them interesting and worth sharing.

-R

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89a1d377aded.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
It looks like there is something, in both shots. Towards the middle?

What I was seeing was your "light source".

I was thinking maybe a structure of some sort. Really good find.

If only we could go up there and check it out ourselves.

I often ponder the idea, that we went to the moon 40 years ago, yet we dont go back and we dont want to build anything there. Why not?
Maybe because we are already there?
Maybe someone else?

I think alot of people were thinking maybe you had some kind rorschach test going on!

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

I think alot of people were thinking maybe you had some kind rorschach test going on!

Maybe I was on a subconscious level, but only on myself, lol!

Thanks

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Hi Redoubt,

Speaking for myself, I believe there is much more to these images than we can normally see.

Having said that, it would be a wonderful thing if Nasa were to rescan a lot of their early images at the highest resolution possible, such as this one and come fully clean.

Seems like there will be lots of time to do so with its budget being cut back. Good make work project, if they have the will. These images are treasures which should be treated as so.

Mob

new topics

top topics

join