It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if civilization fails?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Hypothetical: The lights go out worldwide.

I mean everything, no electronics that have been manufactured in the last 30 years would work. NO TV, no lights, no gas pumps (Except hand pumps), no cars (Except maybe old carburated models), no planes, no helicopters, no banks, no water pumps, no electrical generating facilities, etc)

Do you believe it's possible?

And there was absolutly nothing that anyone could do to prevent it.

Would you warn people ahead of time?

At what point would you panic?

At what point would the people around you panic?

Day 1 - Day 2 - Day 3 - Week 1 - Month 1, etc

Key question: What would you be willing to give up or accept in order to return to the level of civilization and comfort that you have been used to?

What if that wasn't possible?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/24bfdada1958.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 19-1-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Individuals don't generally panic, but groups do.

I would try and stay as far away from people I didn't know from day 1 and make preparations to move closer to the coast and far away from populations as possible.

I would imagine panic would happen pretty quickly within Day 1 if a world wide blackout took place, though with the black out there'd be no way to know it was worldwide. So I would imagine people would start as soon as the armies took to the streets.

At about week 2 the panic would reach a peak I believe with looting and lawlessness running rampant worldwide.

I would definitely tell my closest friends and family to make preparations but make sure they told no one else, in case of some form of exponential growth that would make necessary supplies scarce.

I honestly wouldn't give anything to have the world back to normal, we need this. Evolution used to be about adapting to the environment. These days all we do is make the environment adapt to us. Comfort is over rated, we can only hope that with all our knowledge now it wouldn't take to long for civilization to reform to a more "comfortable" state that was somewhat less advanced then what we have now.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Occy Anonymous]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I think Occy is right on track...

All it would take for this to happen is a few EMP's in the right places, scary stuff!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Im ready.
I dont know about anyone else.

I constantly rant and rave, both for, and against technology. Youre right, 100%. We make nature work for us. But how long can that go on?

I will tell you something, friend. Nature has a way of balance. It will balance us, one day.

Anyway, you can read my thread on the subject, by clicking here.

Star and flag. people should think about this stuff.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by InertiaZero]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I can see it now... people rioting and looting shops for electrical equipment. Let's face it, who hasn't wanted to use Plasma TV's as bookends!

I think such an event would take years to recover from... that is of course unless the people certified to fix everything weren't killed in the riots.

IRM

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
The addiction to electricity is amazing isnt it?
Those that are close to nature now in their lifestyle, experience and preparation will adjust quicker. Shutting the entire grid down, isnt that far fetched. The chaos would be overwhelming. This is a good topic.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Occy Anonymous

I would imagine panic would happen pretty quickly within Day 1 if a world wide blackout took place, though with the black out there'd be no way to know it was worldwide.

At about week 2 the panic would reach a peak I believe with looting and lawlessness running rampant worldwide.

Good point there would be no way to know that the blackout was worldwide.

What about shortwave radio?

What if that didn't work either, due to interference.

I think looting and violence would take place sooner.

Like within 3 days.

I think communication is key.

Without it we assume the worst and we become the worst.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

I think Occy is right on track...

All it would take for this to happen is a few EMP's in the right places, scary stuff!

What if it wasn't EMP's, but extra terrestrial?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I lived that way for 3 years, in a barn converted to a cabin...loved it. Hard life and slept well every night, but it was so rewarding. If it wasn't for my wife liking the extras in life like lights and running water, I'd be there now. It does take getting used to, but you would be suprised at how soon you develope a routine... and how little things mean so much.
You never forget to get enough wood in before going to bed to last you through the night... no fun wakin' up at 2am and the fire is out, it's cold, and you have to go out to bring more in.
You keep a gallon or two of water always around. Candles/torches are essential for night time excursions to the Johnny House.
You learn the seasons and how to read the weather and the "signs."
Keep your tools sharp and in good condition, always put stuff back where it goes.
Bunch of other lessons hard learned, but not forgotten.
Truth is, I'd love it...except for the roaming hordes of hungry and sick refugees, the martial law occupation army, and maybe dyin' over a can of beans or defending my livestock. Oh well...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone

Truth is, I'd love it...except for the roaming hordes of hungry and sick refugees, the martial law occupation army, and maybe dyin' over a can of beans or defending my livestock. Oh well...

And that is the truth.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

It would be the same result - panic!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

It would be the same result - panic!

Complete and utter.

Especially amonst the less spiritual, knowledgeable, and connected.

The more in the dark they are the more they will panic. Just my estimate.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
* Some would say it already has.

* Mass riots caused by lack of beer and Americans Idle

* Teen suicide rate hits almost 95% - no Faceyspaces!

* Corporate America wanders aimlessly in search of MEETINGS

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Well speaking from a tactical point of view, there wouldn't be much to gain from an advanced race wiping out our electronics, unless they had a very specific purpose.

Hypothetically is we are to assume that the Aliens are hostile and not just here to simply stop us from destroying our planet, wiping out our electronics would indicate that they are not that much more advanced then us and they don't believe that victory is assured in a straight up battle.

If their travel capabilities would match their weapons they should have no problem taking us out completely, so it is likely that their ships engine technologies are not their own or they chanced upon this technology.

I can see many problems with this, mainly that they would have substantially weaker weapons then our own defenses. So it would seem if they are not attacking while our power is not working, they are waiting for our numbers to dwindle. So our best chance given all this would be separate in as many small groups as possible and hide the majority of our numbers and weapons and await some kind of ground assault and hope to surprise them.

Then with some luck if we do come out victorious we could use whatever technology they had to rebuild. Reaching their orbiting crafts would prove tricky but I would assume given their capabilities or lack thereof they would have to send troops in from orbit to ground by means of ships.

So it would take some time to successfully engineer their own technology but with the unity formed from fighting off a global threat humanity would make great strides rather quickly and we could rebuild a halfway decent society in a fairly short time given the circumstances.

This is all hypothetical of course LOL, but I do not see many other scenarios for why an "advanced" race would wipe out our electricity with hostile intent. Though admittedly this is thought of on the spot so there are probably many holes in my thinking, but the aftermath would bring about some form of peace and the initial panic would be quickly forgotten...IMHO ofcourse

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Occy Anonymous]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
It is believed that the massive solar storm in 2012 will fry and wipe out most electronics on Earth.

However, what man can create, it can be recreated, unless the solar storm fry our minds as well which is near impossible as our minds are biological products and not metallic or electromagnetic entities.

At most, within a few weeks, everything will be up and running as before, if preparations had not been made yet to protect our electrical grids and electronics for this solar storm.

The Rich and the poor will have needs to be met, and as most of our needs are based upon electronics and fuels, rest assured our elected representatives or even dictators will get it up and running in no time, even if it needs to be grid by grid.

So, in the meantime, if it happens, best have a bit of energy and food stocks up, such as candles, matches, batteries, torch lighs, gas lamps, fuel tablets, can food, rice/wheat, wood, charcoal. It will be living in the 15th century for a few weeks till the grids get up and running agains, IF , the solar storm is as massive as our scientists predict it to be.

Rational mankind will always find a way to survive, as long as you and I dont give up on ourselves and others.

Cheers

[edit on 19-1-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
There is actually a fiction novel called ONE SECOND AFTER that follows a man and his actions following an EMP attack over America.

No electricity, communication, and a whole lot of panic.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I have heard that a nuclear device detonated in the atmosphere above the U.S. at the right place would literally knock the electrical grid out of the entire lower 48. Don't know if it is true or not though. The main thing you would want to do is head straight to the woods after about a day. Depending on your location possibly sooner. If you are in a city with pop. 250k or more then hit the road the minute those lights go out. Plenty of canned goods, sharp objects, guns, ammo, and as always put your matches in a ziplock before you head anywhere. Helps to be part of a militia as well and go ahead and hone those survival skills.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   

I secretly long for such a scenario. Maybe because I've seen one too many post-apocalyptic films and spent too long reading my Zombie Survival Guide.

Honestly I don't know what I'd do, I wouldn't panic though... because I've seen this coming. I've been waiting for a SHTF breakdown of society scenario for years now.

I suppose I'd pack up some supplies and get moving out into the wild away from crowds but that depends on the scenario. In a zombie apocalypse my first inclination would be to find a reusable and reliable weapon to combat the undead. In a standard EMP style shutdown of the grid I'd probably just head out to the wilderness ASAP, maybe find a market that's off the beaten path out in the middle of nowhere and get as much food as I could.

What would I be willing to give up to go back to luxury? I don't know... not much though. As much as I enjoy ipods, the internet and flushing toilets I don't really see them as 100% necessities. I'm just an ape after all, our species made it pretty far without any of that modern tech. We built the pyramids didn't we? So luxury is far from my mind, I just want to survive, outlast and stay out of the city and out of the grasp of whatever is causing the breakdown (riots, martial law, whatever it may be).

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
it will look like new Orleans in 05 and Haiti now. without no one help them though. remember the dome in new Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. i think it will be like that. keep that rifle near by.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Foodman]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
The real question is:

"What if civilization fails AGAIN?"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join