It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Street musician charged $65 for playing near bus stop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Street musicians sound off after busker hit with $65 ticket.

Is this really what we are coming too?

I was reading my city news paper today and saw an article about a man who was just playing his instument on the street and got a $65 fine.

Reason why?

He was to close to a bus stop!

I find these kind of things ridiculous, people cant play music on the street anymore without getting in trouble, what kind of world are we becoming?

Here is the link to the Hamilton Spectator site for the article.

Source

[edit on 19-1-2010 by DXFILMS]

[edit on 19-1-2010 by DXFILMS]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This is just stupid. He was too close to the bus stop? Why not give him a warning and let him go on his way? I hope he beats this in court, this is truely annoying.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
What!?!
That's a bit nuts. Certainly wouldn't fly in this town.
Frankly, I'd support the street performers, over having to fend off panhandlers.
Too bad for that guy, sucks.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
That was why i was so confused too, in Hamilton its almost impossible to go downtown and not see at least one musician or performer, the person who was charged has been playing the streets since the 80's. I just dont understand what made the cop do this, the person wasnt violent or begging for money or anything, he was just playing.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DXFILMS
I just dont understand what made the cop do this, the person wasnt violent or begging for money or anything, he was just playing.

I'm guessing it's part of some directive from City Hall, cuz any normal cop would have much better things to do.

Street music is great, and any jurisdiction with foresight encourages it.

Mind you...it is 'the Hammer'...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This was sent to me as an email.....
Amazing what we don't perceive at times. The story would have been huge, had the musician been ticketed.

"A man sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that thousands of people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by and a middle aged man noticed there was musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried but the kid stopped to look at the violinist.

Finally the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the top musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written,with a violin worth 3.5 million dollars.
From an email sent to me,

"Two days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston and the seats average $100.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station

was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty?

Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?"

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Wow that is an amazing story, i agree though, same with paintings and such, if its in a museum its art, but if we pass it on the street we may not look twice, this has always bothered me. Thanks for posting that ogbert!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DXFILMS

I read it as people perceived "street bum"; and, then shut themselves off. There are so many variables competing for our attention in the modern world. Unless i think it's for a beer, i will usually part with my pocket change. However, many people shut street people out of their minds and ignore them, before they have a chance to ask.

top topics

join