It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUGE NEWS: BROWN WINS! Coakley calls Brown to Concede Election in Massachusetts

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Helmkat

America would not be headed for the rocks if the processes were never sped up. They were meant to be slow and drawn out.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

It slows everything down so things aren't rushed through. If the ship starts going down, it will go down slow, giving people a chance to reverse it, rather than plummet straight to hell.

exactly

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The message is clear, fix the mess America is in or another person will be given the opportunity. Giving money to wall street, and big corporation fixes nothing.

Obama better be watching and take note, he needs to learn how to govern, he sure could run a great campaign, but hope and change were a huge mirage.

Forget about health care now, he needs to focus on the economy with everything he has.

If he stays his present coarse he will be a one hit wonder.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

There you have it. It's not the Dems or the Rep's that are the problem with this country. It's people exactly like YOU. People who have bought into this liberal v. conservative, dem v. rep, right v. left, red v. blue crap that the puppetmasters use to control you, divide the country and have their way. You don't know jack about me you clown. I voted Ron Paul. How's that for 'lib nerve'. What a maroon.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This is great news. We voted the Goldman Sachs crony governor Jon Corizine out of office in my state despite the fact that Obama campaigned for him and he spent three times more money than his opponent. Now Brown wins in Massachusetts.

The message is clear. We are tired of being ignored!
Now the next thing that needs to happen is the formation of a strong third party to challenge both dems and repubs in Washington. A party that has not been hijacked by the far left or the far right.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Just to clear up some confusion...

Options left for passing the Healthcare bill..

The Republican Senators now have enough votes to Filibuster.

What is a filibuster: The Senate rules permit a senator, or a series of senators, to speak for as long as they wish and on any topic they choose, unless 3/5ths of the Senate (60 out of 100 Senators elected and sworn), brings debate to a close by invoking cloture.

The Democrats only have 59 votes now, allowing the Republicans to Filibuster...essentially keep talking until the democrats concede.

(1) Senate Democrats could choose to plow ahead and let Republicans filibuster themselves out, wait them out, eventually leading to an amended bill that could pass by simple majority.

(2) Or the House could approve the Senate bill then work out the differences in a budget reconciliation vote that can't be filibustered in the Senate.

(3) Or Democrats could hustle to pass a reconciled bill in the House and Senate before Republican State Sen. Scott Brown is seated as U.S. Sen. ..this takes a few weeks to be seated/sworn in.

(4) Or the House could simply vote to accept the version of overhaul passed by the Senate...this way it doesn't have to return to the Senate for approval.

The only reason any of these choices might not be acted upon is that the moderate democrats are now thinking hard about re-election in light of Brown winning Mass...so the caucus might crumble.

I am I a Democrat?...More or less....liberal...more or less...yes.
Do I want healthcare overhauled?...desperately.

But this morning, reading the news, I came to the conclusion this is a good thing, Brown winning. Good for the Democrats, Good for the GOP and good for the people....in the long run, not short term.

Why? Because the GOP strategy has been premised on the unspoken idea "Damn the country, Obama must fail"...which is a relatively safe strategy when you know it is just rhetorical and that things in DC will get done anyways because you don't really have the votes to completely stop anything.

Now the GOP has the votes to actually bring things to a halt...it's not just rhetoric anymore...that means they have to fully own what does and doesn't get passed...they will actually have traction and the GOP agenda of "No" will either gridlock the government or the GOP will compromise.

There are enough intelligent republican politicians who understand what that means. Beware of what you wish for. If your rhetoric becomes reality you must answer to the voters for those actions.

The moderate/independant Democrats have been greedy and self-serving, demanding a great deal for their support and wallowing in the attention they get.

This just dramatically changed the playing field and they are no longer the power players they were a week ago....this is also a good thing for DC.

The GOP's thus far rhetorical platform of "No to everything" will now become legislative action...and they will be held accountable to the public for the outcome or begin to cede the foolishness of the position.

Lastly...I can't resist...for all the far right posters out their championing Brown's victory...

Brown supports abortion.

Just saying...careful about putting party before your beliefs...

[edit on 20-1-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Hopefully Brown will be an instrument for liberty and freedom. Oh wait, hes in the GOP, never mind.

Next thing you know, the country will swing back to the right, tax cuts only for the wealthy, and a big F.U. to the middle and lower class.

Cmon America, time to kick both the GOP and the Democrats out of office. Time to elect real leaders, real people that aren't in the corporate pockets.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
What this election proves is that INDEPENDENTS are unhappy. This is HUGE. I use to call myself a die hard Republican, but it seems that there isn't much difference between the two parties.

Despite what very, very outspoken people on ATS think about Fox news, Rush or Glenn Beck, one thing is for sure: Americans are waking up!

Yes, I watch or listen to these programs and NO, I don't always agree with what the host may be saying, but there is a lot of history being put forth about the Constitution and what it means and what powers are enumerated to the feds and the States.

I think many folks are looking at the principles that this natiion was founded upon and are being shown exactly how State's rights have been eroded over the last century and the massive power grab (and money) that the Federal government established with progressivism.

I do not absolve Republicans from this line of thinking and I believe that 2010 will be the rise of the Independents.

You know why I think Brown won? He stated that the seat didn't belong to a man, nor a party, but the people. This is what folks across the country have been dying to hear for years now; a politician who goes to Washington with a public servant's attitude. For Brown's sake, he better not screw this up, especially if he has ambitions in 2012.

Republicans and Democrats alike would be extremely wise to pay close attention to what the people are saying, particularly with independents.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some 3rd party candidates win major races as well.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
America is not waking up to anything. There is nothing to wake up to except for the fact that our political system is broken.

People think Washington is getting the message now.

The only message the people are sending is that they know things are broken and they are going to blame who ever is in power. Congratulations! The people have proved that they can be swayed by negative press.

People can point out problems but they have no idea how to fix them. I don't either, so we are all in the same boat there.

It's alright, maybe someday people will get a glimpse of the real problem instead of this cycle of blaming those in charge. We can elect whoever, we still can't get anything done.

At some point in time I would like to study the life cycles of governments. I truly believe that every government has a beginning and an end. Just like everything else.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

That's very true, he said in his speech it was a win for the independents,

People who continue to make this a party line issue are missing the big picture,

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

America is not waking up to anything. There is nothing to wake up to except for the fact that our political system is broken.

I think you are wrong,

Regarding negative press, truth is truth, whether negative or positive,

I watched what the press did to Palin, now that was evil.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Dems & Repubs are the SAME THING...the party system is a farce meant to make us believe we have a choice!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Yay! Another one for the good "guys". That woman would have sold us out to Obama's NWO. I have my reasons for not wanting her into office anyway and I don't even know her.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Dems & Repubs are the SAME THING...the party system is a farce meant to make us believe we have a choice!

Finally, a voice of truth. All this "hugeness" and "hurrayformysideness" and "whatadifferencethiswillmakeness" is just ignorance and ego. There are only "haves" and "have nots." Changing labels is merely that. Both parties work for "the man."

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
reply to post by j2000

There you have it. It's not the Dems or the Rep's that are the problem with this country. It's people exactly like YOU. People who have bought into this liberal v. conservative, dem v. rep, right v. left, red v. blue crap that the puppetmasters use to control you, divide the country and have their way. You don't know jack about me you clown. I voted Ron Paul. How's that for 'lib nerve'. What a maroon.

Nice typical personal attacks you got going there.
Anymore?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Good news... maybe.

Americans are waking up to corruption in government and have had enough... Or have they?

If there is a massive shift in power back to the republican party in the future what has really changed?

Both parties are complicit in the demise of our liberty, freedoms and our economy... and both have repeatedly found ways to screw taxpayers.

If this is a true sign that Americans are actually waking up and wanting real change in government, then apparently they are still half asleep.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
1) Clinton did best when he has opposition. I think something about having a comfortable lead makes dems retarded and ineffective.

2) having a balance in our government is best. I didn't like it when the reps had full control, and I didnt like it when dems had it. never give that much power to only one vision of what the US should be. it is in the balance that you suit most of America

3) This was indeed a call to Obama, the handling of the major issues was a disaster as most say...even staunch dems agree to this. not the concepts, but the handling...hopefully with the opposition now, the dems will grow a backbone and get things done cleverly and properly. sure, its easier said than done.

4) Brown is clinton...with the exception that clinton was center that leaned on his left leg, brown is center leaning on his right leg. might want to get past the title and look at this guy. he is not the common republican. if anything, he is closer to the arnold s. newbreed republican. (new word for centerist with the slightest right leaning). middle of the road people are the best imo...they are the ones that actually think things through.

5) Mass is a unique state. it is the most liberal state, second (barely) to california. a republican there is marked mostly by not being extreme left. if there are bills that are centerist leaning left, he will most likely sign them considering who he is representing, else be elected out.

Anyhow, good luck, great campaign he ran, and perhaps next runabout, the dems in mass wont push someone so douchie as front runner...nothing is assured, never be comfortable. people will elect whom they see fit, not whom they traditionally pick.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
If this is a true sign that Americans are actually waking up and wanting real change in government, then apparently they are still half asleep.

This is a sign that the reps ran a good campaign, and that the dems ran such a crappy gaffe ridden campaign that only the hardest dems that had no access to television voted for their party.

this woman was a disaster...she took the whole campaign like it was a joke and she was simply entitled to the seat. She insulted the state, the people of the state, and even said meeting the people was basically beneath her status.

brown however spent extraordinary amounts of time meeting the people, listening, etc etc etc..pages straight from the obama handbook...knew which baseball team to represent, spelled the state right, shook hands, all that. He was actually campaigning, he won fairly, he won by a landslide, and he is the best man for the job.

oh, and I am a liberal.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The big risk here is that what we are seeing is dissatisfaction with the status quo. That is what drove the big shakeup in the 2006 mid terms and largely what drove the sweep in the 2008 Presidential race. By 2006 people had finally realized that they were being shafted by the Bush administration so went Democrat. Now things haven't gotten better fast enough so the pendulum is swinging back.

So what are we going to do? Keep going Dem to Rep, Rep to Dem? Can't people see that this approach hasn't gotten us anywhere but deeper into a hole? There is no Independent anything if the choice is still a Dem or Rep. No matter who it is they're still bought-and-paid-for. Personally, I believe this is the mistake Ron Paul made. If he had run as a Constitutionalist we might have had a shot at actually changing something. But until we can get out of this Dem-Rep machine it is truly hopeless. I'm amazed at how few people seem to get that.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Brown didn't really make too much mention of being republican. He focused more on independent thought. Brilliant campaign manager.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join