It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUGE NEWS: BROWN WINS! Coakley calls Brown to Concede Election in Massachusetts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Democrat and Republican sources are reporting that Martha Coakley has just called Scott Brown to concede the election. Brown is up about 8% with over 80% of votes counted. This is huge earth shattering news, no matter where you are on the political spectrum...

Boston Globe

Democrat Martha Coakley has called Republican Scott Brown to concede the race for US Senate in Massachusetts, a Brown aide said this evening.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by johnny2127]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Thank goodness! Brown is up by 91,000 so far. It's going to be hard for the DNC to find enough "missing" ballots to cover that.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Mountainmeg]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by johnny2127

This IS huge! What is the GOP majority in the senate now?? What is the majority now, compared to when Bush was President??

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by skunknuts

This IS huge! What is the GOP majority in the senate now?? What is the majority now, compared to when Bush was President??

I will take it you are being sarcastic. If not, I would let you know the Democrats still hold the majority in firm fashion. However this may kill healthcare, and is seen by political analysts as a message to DC and Obama to stop with the far left policy, and stop with the behind closed door deals and shutting Republicans out of the process. The dems did the same things the Repubs did when they controlled Congress and the White House.... they got arrogant and greedy.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

All Dems have to do...if they dare do so...is use reconciliation just as Mr. George W. Bush did to pass his tax cuts. Then only a slight majority is needed to pass legislation.

Democrats are going to lose their asses no matter if they pass this or not..so it's likely they will push it through anyway.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Health care can't pass now though. They have to rewrite the bill. Good. Forget about carbon tax.

My only worry? Brown might use this to be a dictator to the republicans. He could easily force whatever he wants with his position. Lucky bastard. Hopefully he uses his new power wisely.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
If this doesn't send a message to Washington, I don't know what will.

I'm looking at some of these voters and they are pointing out how Washington is trying to ram healthcare down our throats.

Time for everybody to start blaming Bush again.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Brown might use this to be a dictator to the republicans. He could easily force whatever he wants with his position. Lucky bastard. Hopefully he uses his new power wisely.

Brown will have no more power than the other 40 Republican Senators that could swing any legislation. Yes, he will be the 41st vote to stop a fillibuster on healthcare...but that doesn't mean any other Republican could swing the other way on other legislation. It happened with the Stimulus package remember?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

The problem was that Obama has TRIED to be too bipartisan.

CNN/Opinion Research Corporation Poll. Jan. 8-10, 2010. N=1,021 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

"Now thinking specifically about the health insurance plans available to most Americans, would you favor or oppose creating a public health insurance option administered by the federal government that would compete with plans offered by private health insurance companies?"

Favor Oppose Unsure
% % %

1/8-10/10

54 46 1

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Very true. However, he's new. And he's an unknown. So people will be patient to trust him or betray him, not knowing the consequences.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

The problem was that Obama has TRIED to be too bipartisan.

I believe you are right about this in some regard. This bill is not what liberals/progressives wanted. They wanted single payer...or a public option at the minimum.

Instead they got a bill mostly catered to Big Pharma and the health insurance companies.

This isn't socialized health care...It doesn't matter if you agree with socialized medicine or not...this bill is not the socialization of our healthcare.

Why would the health industry be attending lobbyist fundraisers for Coakley?

It's about money. It always was.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

The American people have spoken.
Senator Scott Brown will be driving to Washington D.C.
Are the democrats in Washington D.C. listening to the
American people?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
People may have spoken but DC has to take their earplugs out to hear it. If there was any doubt that congress was out of control they will now prove it to even the most serious doubters.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I think the most glaring consideration should be that a Republican just won a seat that had been held by a Democrat for nearly the last half century(46 years). There will also be a change in the power that Mass. yields in congress, he was at the time of his death the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, focus on the health part.

A LOT of Dems looked to Ted Kennedy for cues on voting, where will those Senators look now?

I do not have a partisan postion in this argument, but there has been a gap in Senatorial leadership left by his death and the election of an opposing party member.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by skunknuts

You don't see a Republican taking over Ted (swimmer) Kennedy's Senate seat as huge?

This is just a harbinger of the regular mid term elections later this year. Democrats are searching for new underwear right about now!

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I just have one thing to say.

CAN YOU HEAR US NOW?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

This is just a harbinger of the regular mid term elections later this year. Democrats are searching for new underwear right about now!

I agree.

Soon after Republicans will feel the wrath that is being put upon Democrats. Republicans have no idea on how to fix this country other than to cut taxes. That's it. Cut corporate taxes that already sent all of our jobs out of the country!!!

The hard swings from left/right/left/right that the country is supposedly been doing should tell you something.

The populist movement is growing. People are barely hanging on right now. They don't give a damn about Republicans and Democrats anymore...they just want help.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Sweet Victory!

I hope that arrogant jackass(Soetoro)realizes he works for us but I doubt it.

He will self destruct because he never had the character to lead this country to begin with!

pelosi, reed,frank YOUR NEXT!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by Carseller4

The populist movement is growing. People are barely hanging on right now. They don't give a damn about Republicans and Democrats anymore...they just want help.

The populist movement is growing and people are getting "really" angry.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

The populist movement is growing and people are getting "really" angry.

My opinion of what will happen? Eventually we WILL go after the corporations and bankers.

It HAS to happen. No one has any money. I'm barely making it myself and I know countless people who are holding on by a thread or are losing everything.

Ideology won't matter soon. I think we won't see this until after the 2010 elections...and that is when BOTH PARTIES are going to feel some major wrath from struggling americans.

It's coming...but it has only just begun. The wealthy can only tarnish the populist movement for so long. Eventually people will break.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by David9176]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join