It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Losing the info war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Losing the info war

www.nypost.com

In a dramatic wave of attacks (possibly planned with help from Pakistani intelligence operatives), the Taliban struck Kabul's presidential palace, several government ministries and a multistory shopping complex.

And they did it just as President Hamid Karzai was swearing in his new Cabinet (despite a battle with parliament over the legitimacy of his picks). Think that gave Afghans renewed confidence in their government?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
*MODS* found this on the NY POST website, and it was posted 2 hours ago. Delete/move, thanks!

With all the troop increases, and extra attention the US has given Afghanistan in the past year, seems to be backfiring.

How can one win a war where the US is propping up a government not supported by its people?

this is how it looks like in Afghanistan right now. No one there likes the occupation, nor do they like the government being set up.

Ill include more snippets below.

www.nypost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Yesterday's wave of bombings was a mini-Tet Offensive -- a small-scale repeat of the attacks that triggered US public opinion's turn against the Vietnam War. They were designed to explode Western claims of progress and embarrass our leaders -- and it worked.

Our self-delusion stinks of the early years in Vietnam, when Gen. Paul Harkins, our man in Saigon, claimed (in 1963) that the Vietnamese army was doing a great job, the war was being won and our troops would be home by 1965.

Recently, I read a report by an official US visitor to Afghanistan calling Karzai "brave" and describing him as the leader Afghanistan needs. Good God -- he's hiding in his presidential palace, afraid to visit the front lines and see what kind of shape his country's really in. Yesterday, the war came to him.

The only thing funny about this article, is that the Leader of this broken nation is hiding in his palace. He has a right to fear for his life, when his people don't support the government, and occupation!

But they're pit bulls led by miniature poodles. Senior military leaders refuse to see our enemies for what they are -- religious fanatics with a durable tribal base -- and insist on treating them as 20th-century ideological insurgents.

Earth to Gen. Stan McChrystal: Those suicide bombers yesterday weren't Sandinistas.

Special Forces and other personnel down-range (far from the gee-whiz briefing rooms) understand that there is no Afghan nation, that we've stuck ourselves in the midst of complex tribal wars super-charged by religious fanaticism among our enemies. And, in tribal wars, you have to pick your tribes. It's not that the war in Afghanistan's unwinnable.

It's just not winnable on the ludicrous terms we've imposed upon ourselves. We want to build what can't be built and refuse to do what must be done -- and sacrifice our troops for foreign scoundrels. Poll the Afghans on the streets of Kabul today. Ask them if we're winning.

Linkage

Isn't Afghanistan looking more like Vietnam? From what the article implies, it sure as hell looks similar, but i want to hear your thoughts on this.

/Discuss!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I find the title of the article interesting. "Losing the Info War"? Is this supposed to have a second meaning of some sort, hmm?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

I didn't choose it. I read it because of the title.

perhaps they mean losing the info war on how unstable this country is, after all the troop increases and such, and the US government saying we are making progress?

that's my take anyway, thanks for the reply.

Yes the title does seem misleading.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I believe the title refers to the Pakistani military intelligence. The pakistani are become stronger militarily however there country is still in ruins from our occupation.

When we tried to force them to do what we wanted they revolted and believe the only way they can get rid of us to to exert themselves violently by bombings and so forth. The title refers to the fact that Pakistan and other countries are not as insignificant as we may think they are.

They are in fact becoming smarter and stronger with our occupation. It gives them a reason to become stronger and a cause to win the 'Info War'.

top topics

join