It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible? Magnifying Glass from Ice, Create Fire (Video Inside)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
So I was browsing one of my video websites today and came across something that is sort of interesting if this is possible. Now, I've never done this, but maybe someone in a colder climate at the time might have a chance to give it a go and see if it really works.

Basically, he finds the clearest piece of ice possible, rounds it out and polishes it, then sets it up to catch the sun and focus it onto a leaf pile thus creating a fire.

Now if this works, I figure it would be a really cool addition to the survival forum, especially something as important as starting a fire in a cold climate. Next time we get some really cold temps I'll be trying this as well, but not sure how long until that happens.

Anyway, here is the link to the video, from LiveLeak.com,

www.liveleak.com...

[edit on 1/19/2010 by deadline527]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
They did this on Mythbusters once. They made a lens out of ice and tried to ignite some paper. They were able to consistently get smoke, but the problem is the ice is melting from the process and drips onto the paper as it shrinks and obstructs the production of fire. However, they were able to make a fire when they used an orb of ice about the size of a soccer ball.

Perhaps the lens would work if the temperatures were around the freezing mark as it may keep the ice intact long enough, but would the winter sun be strong enough?

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Kratos1220]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Would it be possible once the ice has been shaped to have some sort of metallic object holding it in place while mounted into the ground? Since the less you would touch the ice, the less it would melt, it would seem that having it mounted on perhaps a miniature version of a tomato cage would do the trick.

Cool idea, nonetheless, and I'm sure someone here could work out a perfected way of using this.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kratos1220

the problem is the ice is melting from the
process and drips onto the paper

Solution: don't do it at high noon.

would the winter sun be strong enough?

The sun does not get "weaker" during winter. Winter is a primarily a function of the angle of sunlight and the number of hours of daily exposure.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I have seen this done after forming the lens you can't touch it it need to be picked up with a stick, or the likes... I personally saw a multi-tool used and it worked fine, the tender you use is the trick, we used char cloth.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Very much possible. Makes me wonder if you could do the same with a breast implant? "honey, I need to remove one of your Fakieboobs or we'll freeze to death!"

The polished bottom of a coke can works as well.

I wonder if people have actually frozen to death with a camera or pair of binoculars on them.

top topics

join