It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sound Generator Could Kill Humans at Ten Meters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

gizmodo.com

This seems like a harmless tube. In fact, it was harmless: Jewish farmers used the first version to scare birds from crop fields. Then, somebody converted it into a crowd dispersion mechanism. And then, they discovered it could kill.

The Thunder Generator uses mixture of liquefied petroleum, cooking gas, and air to create explosions, which in return generate shock waves capable of stunning people from 30 to 100 meters away. At that range, the weapon is absolutely harmless, making people run in panic when they feel the sonic blast hitting their bodies. However, at less than ten meters, the Thunder Generator could either cause permanent damage or kill any person.

It comes in a single-barrel configuration, but according to the manufacturer—ArmyTec—you can mount it everywhere, and combine it with other barrels to create even more powerful design. You can even mount several cannons on different places, and synchronize them so you can create a sound barrier perimeter capable of dissuading your enemies. In fact, you can even make the sonic wave to turn 90 degrees to fire around corners, all by using a curved barrel design.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/19/2010 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Very interesting...

I see this non-lethal/lethal weapon being used for crowd control purposes initially. The potential for abuse of this technology is obviously enormous and is another example of "non-lethal" weaponry that can easily be turned against civilians to tragic effect.

Sound wall. . Will this weapon be named "Jericho?"

gizmodo.com

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
can't find info, is this an infrasound weapon?
Sounds like it but what's the vibration rate?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
can't find info, is this an infrasound weapon?
Sounds like it but what's the vibration rate?

Using a patented process involving Pulse Detonation Technology (PDT), the system feeds the gas-air mixture into one or more so-called impulse chambers or cannon barrels, where the burning fuel detonates and intensifies in force as it travels through the chamber, exiting in a rapid-fire succession of high-velocity shock bursts.

A small battery-powered control system - about twice the size of a pack of cigarettes - measures fuel pressure, temperature and flow rates while monitoring the continuous intake of the air-gas mixture.

According to company data, the system generates 60 to 100 bursts per minute, each traveling at about 2,000 meters per second and lasting up to 300 milliseconds.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Have no idea what is an infrasonic weapon but this what i found (actually link is in the article OP pointed to):

Using a patented process involving Pulse Detonation Technology (PDT), the system feeds the gas-air mixture into one or more so-called impulse chambers or cannon barrels, where the burning fuel detonates and intensifies in force as it travels through the chamber, exiting in a rapid-fire succession of high-velocity shock bursts.

www.defensenews.com...
Edit:
Oops, OP beat me to it.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
So.. Jews invented the weapon. But I can't say anything about Jews inventing the weapon or else it's a TOC violation?

OK, fine.

Well in that case I don't think this technology can benefit anybody. Another step in the police states proliferation and justification of "non-lethal weaponry" so they can use it on protesters on any side of the political spectrum.

Next thing you know they will be mounting this on trucks and using it like the sound weapons at the G20 Conferance. Or maybe at al-Aqsa mosque.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Look up non-lethal weapons and Dr John Alexander. He's the one that the movie Men Who Stare at Goats is about. He was in on the design of microwaves and sonic weaponry.
I personally think it's creepy because I'm sure in the experiments and development s bunch of people were fried.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by seattletruth
Next thing you know they will be mounting this on trucks and using it like the sound weapons at the G20 Conferance. Or maybe at al-Aqsa mosque.

I researched this further earlier and the system is being touted as having the ability to link up with other, multiple units thus effectively creating a wall of sound. .

This sounds like a system that can be deployed to reinforce border walls and at checkpoints. .

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
You can probably knock down earthen wall with this too. Yippee! Just what we needed, something else for the police to dispel crowds with (anyone remember the right to peacably assemble?).
Look for this goodie at the next republican convention

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
You can probably knock down earthen wall with this too.

When I think of this device, I can't help but reference this passage:

"Now Jericho was shut up from within and from without because of the people of Israel; none went out, and none came in. And The Lord [see Rock Of Ages] said to Joshua, "See, I have given into your hand Jericho, with its king and mighty men of valor. You shall march around the city, all the men of war going around the city once. Thus shall you do for six days. And seven priests [see Levites] shall bear seven trumpets of rams' horns [see The Shofar] before The Ark; and on the seventh day you shall march around the city seven times, the priests blowing the trumpets. And when they make a long blast with the ram's horn, as soon as you hear the sound of the trumpet, then all the people shall shout with a great shout; and the wall of the city will fall down flat, and the people shall go up every man straight before him."
(Joshua 6:1-5 RSV)

Creepy stuff.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Wow.. Check this out

www.youtube.com...

Kate Bush did this ages ago.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by berkeleygal]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I wonder what exactly the company patented here, I mean by their own admittance there is a long history of prior art for this product.

maybe they patented that they put an electronic gauge/reader?

Question that popped into my head is, would this weapon be less effective in the mountains where the air is thinner?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by seattletruth

You can say all you want to about the weapon, but leave your racism out of it, moron.

Second line.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The very best thing about this is the fact that it is an agricultural device, meaning that anyone with a field to protect from birds or other animals can buy an array of them.

The fact that "other animals" might include nasty government types is a bonus: it's not that often effective area defense weapons are available to private individuals.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka

gizmodo.com

This seems like a harmless tube. In fact, it was harmless: Jewish farmers used the first version to scare birds from crop fields. Then, somebody converted it into a crowd dispersion mechanism. And then, they discovered it could kill.

The Thunder Generator uses mixture of liquefied petroleum, cooking gas, and air to create explosions, which in return generate shock waves capable of stunning people from 30 to 100 meters away. At that range, the weapon is absolutely harmless, making people run in panic when they feel the sonic blast hitting their bodies. However, at less than ten meters, the Thunder Generator could either cause permanent damage or kill any person.

It comes in a single-barrel configuration, but according to the manufacturer—ArmyTec—you can mount it everywhere, and combine it with other barrels to create even more powerful design. You can even mount several cannons on different places, and synchronize them so you can create a sound barrier perimeter capable of dissuading your enemies. In fact, you can even make the sonic wave to turn 90 degrees to fire around corners, all by using a curved barrel design.

It seems we're getting more invited in our weaponry. Maybe soon we might use sound to kill terrorist without destroy their cities. Even news reporters won't be able to get no where these weapons. People we're looking maybe a new era in WMD's. Your thoughts?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Sounds like a cool piece of kit for non lethal purposes. Not so much when used up close.

The thing I wanna know is, how does it actually affect the body? Is it going to be blood from the eyes and ears and drop dead? Or your head explode?

That second one is over the top I know, but this won't kill conventionally like a gun or bomb from a distance, so whoever is employing this weapon would have to be within 10 metres of their target and because of their close proximity they'd have to watch the horrific effects it has on said target.

Note to self, buy earplugs..

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
We worked on that thing in 1989 give or take. Our company was in a small town and it didn't make anybody too happy in the neighborhood. Out design was to scare birds from runways. It was definately like a cannon going off at regular intervals. We only tested it a couple of days before it was sent to the desert for long term stress testing.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsallCrazy
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Sounds like a cool piece of kit for non lethal purposes. Not so much when used up close.

The thing I wanna know is, how does it actually affect the body? Is it going to be blood from the eyes and ears and drop dead? Or your head explode?

That second one is over the top I know, but this won't kill conventionally like a gun or bomb from a distance, so whoever is employing this weapon would have to be within 10 metres of their target and because of their close proximity they'd have to watch the horrific effects it has on said target.

Note to self, buy earplugs..

The lethal effects of air blast first became evident during World War I, when soldiers were found dead in the vicinity of an explosion despite having no external injuries. There was plenty of internal damage, though, particularly to hollow organs such as the ear, lung, and gastrointestinal tract. Partly for that reason the exact cause of death due to air blast was debated for many years. The prevailing theory at the moment is air embolism originating in the lungs. The blast's immense pressure on the chest ruptures delicate lung tissue, admitting air bubbles into the arteries that travel to the heart, brain, and other organs and cause sudden death.

How loud does a noise have to be to kill? Let's see. The threshold of ear pain is around 130 to 140 decibels, roughly equivalent to a jet engine at a range in the tens of meters. Eardrum rupture occurs around 160 decibels (conventional sound) to 185 decibels (nonperiodic blast pressure). Lung rupture and presumably embolism due to air blast occur at 200 decibels. German physicist Jürgen Altmann, who has written about the physiological effects of high-intensity sound (see www.einaudi.cornell.edu/PeaceProgram/acousticweapons.pdf), tells me the threshold for suffocation or embolism following lung rupture is 2.6 to 11 times atmospheric pressure, depending on pulse duration. The point is, instant death requires a noise that's pretty damn loud.

That's not to say lesser noises are harmless. The medical literature is full of reports of people with medical conditions who heard a loud noise and then, say, suffered a seizure and died. Some say (relatively) low-level noise can be bad for you even if you're (relatively) healthy. The subject remains controversial. One infamous study claimed that jet noise boosted the death rate among people living near Los Angeles International Airport. But the effect disappeared when other scientists reviewed the data, and chances are it's a crock.

Another possible use of nonfatal doses of noise is "acoustic weapons," now under secret development by the military. Supposedly, acoustic weapons will use infrasonic sound or some such to incapacitate rather than kill an enemy, turning him into a bleeding, puking mess. Or maybe they'll kill him, using baseball-sized "acoustic bullets." Despite persistent reports in the press and much hand-wringing about the dire import of this new technology by human-rights groups, no one has actually seen a practical demonstration of such a weapon, and very little has appeared in the scientific journals. Then again, I suppose very little had appeared in the scientific journals about the Manhattan Project before they crisped Hiroshima. All I'm saying is, while there's no question the military is putting some serious money into acoustic weapons research, a lot of people are pretty skeptical. But if something does come of it, we're ready. The U.S. military already has experience serenading the likes of Manuel Noriega with ear-shattering rock 'n' roll, and if that fails, there's always gangsta rap.

www.straightdope.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join