It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel accused of silencing political protest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Israel accused of silencing political protest

news.yahoo.com

Israel is arresting a growing number of prominent opponents to its policies toward the Palestinians, say critics who are accusing the government of trying to crush legitimate dissent.

In the most high-profile case yet, Jerusalem police detained the leader of a leading Israeli human rights group during a vigil against the eviction of Palestinian families whose homes were taken by Jewish settlers.

Some of the Palestinians were released without charge only after weeks and months of questioning.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This is just disgusting, some of been in questioning for months and then released without charges.

Well what about all those months????

[ex
Since June, Israel has arrested almost three dozen villagers, mostly during night raids on the village, organizers say. More than 100 have been arrested in Naalin, including 16 in the past month.

Why only during night raids?

Interrogators searched his computer, his cell phone and e-mail accounts, he said. He had to pay a $2,700 bond.

Othman said he would continue with his activism. "I don't do anything illegal," he said. "All my work was out in the open."

Searching the emails, cell phone of an activist just because he is an activist?

How can anyone justify this?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Nothing new and cannot be defended period. There was a news sometime ago when Israel imprisoned a peace activist who led non violence protest against the wall and termed the protest movement as Illegal.

Israel portrays protest march illegal in West Bank

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Nothing we dont see here in the US but this time its called the Patriot Act.... Remember Ruby Ridge? The Big Bad Goverments will huff and puff then hold you in gitmo till you fall down.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Quite right my worthy foe.

It's always funny how the 'abusee' becomes the 'abuser' though. The Jews were subject to genocide by the Nazi's, and so the Jews in Israel commit genocide against Palestinians.

Fascism is infectious.

I wish the Israeli and Palestinian protestors all the best of luck in defeating the fascist government of Israel and their equally fascist supporting allies.

Parallex.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
So it's quite all right when Iran does it but not Isreal? Where's the hypocricy police when you need them?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

It is not people from Jewish heritage but radical Zionist who control Israeli Govt. Jewish heritage people were used as scapegoats by Zionist in WWII and same is happening now.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
So it's quite all right when Iran does it but not Isreal? Where's the hypocricy police when you need them?

Says who?

And why associate Iran with Palestine because both are muslim?
So I could equally associate Sweeden and Switzlerland?

Who said it's okay when Iran does it???????

Explainnn

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Anyone that protests, In any country (if its on a touchy / sensitive subject) is silenced.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Yet you are one of the people who expresses outrage at the Iranians for trying to put a stop to demonstrations. Where is all that outrage on this topic?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

This is a common tactic of those who wish to impede any legitimate criticism of Israel: painting all those who question any human rights abuses in Israel as terrorist sympathizing anti-Semitic secret Nazis.

The American government attempted to lump the labour movements and the civil rights movements in with the Communists, and from the looks of many of the beliefs I've seen professed around here, it would appear that they succeeded.

Despite the nonstop smear campaign, I can honestly say I've never seen anyone support the Palestinian paramilitary's campaign of violence and terror, and I wonder why it is so often overlooked that many Palestinians do not support the actions of the radicals. I would hope that those of us who oppose the government of Israel don't lump the average citizen with the murderous thugs who help perpetuate this cycle of violence.

Israel's government shows that it is perhaps a decade from 1984.

War is Peace.

Make war through deception.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Someone336

How do you know what form of Resistance do Paestinian people support? I would like to direct your attention to this article:

Whenever there is injustice, there are people fighting it with every possible means. We have seen it so many times before: the oppressed rise up, the oppressor dehumanizes them calling them such names as “terrorists”, “saboteurs”, “death loving” extremists… It is only normal that the oppressor will always lie to justify his actions and its crimes.

What is different in the case of Palestine, is that the Israeli regime has built an effective media and communications networks and campaigns to distort the image of the Palestinian resistance, and that a large portion of the world has believed the Israeli line and hence adopted it.

It is our duty to remember and remind the world that the Palestinian freedom fighter is a man, a woman, like any other. He loves his family. She loves her country. They seek a better future. They are willing to sacrifice everything for the sake of justice and freedom. They waited for the world to lift the blatant injustice that has befallen them since 1948. They expected the world to understand when they took up arms to lift this injustice themselves.

Now, they don’t care what anyone else calls them. They do not seek anyone’s permission, just like any resistance movement. They believe that their cause will be triumphant because it is a cause for justice and humanity. They are merely fulfilling their duty to make the day of justice in Palestine come sooner. So should we.

Source:www.politicaltheatrics.net...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Someone336

If you would like to discuss about non-violence or armed struggle..I welcome you to share your point of view in this thread - Is armed struggle necessary to gain Freedom?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

How do you know what form of Resistance do Paestinian people support?

Well, I know that Hamas is very popular among the Palestinians, but for starters, I will post this quote from the diaries of Rachel Corrie, the young ISM worker killed by an Israeli bulldozer while acting as a human shield trying to stop the destruction of Palestinian homes:

The vast majority of Palestinians right now, as far as I can tell, are engaged in Gandhian nonviolent resistance.

Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas, who staunchly defends the Palestinian's right to the land, has spoken out against Hamas, calling it's violent campaign upon civilians futile. I've seen footage of mothers in Gaza begging their children not to join the paramilitary, not to strap bombs to themselves but to live to help make change in a more peaceful means. There is an article I'm currently trying to dig back up that interviews multiple people in the Gaza Strip that shows them protesting the occupation, but also calling for Hamas to end their campaign.

Civilian deaths should never be tolerated. 20% of the population of Israel is Arab, the majority with extensive family ties in the Gaza Strip and West Bank. If this 20% comes together, despite the inevitable actions of the Israeli government, and stages strikes and demonstrations in comity with their brothers and sisters in the occupied territories without violence, then I believe the detractors would loose their ammunition to attack the movement. Palestine also needs the international community to come together, lobby the US government to quick funding the state of Israel and to help push the Goldstone Report (which, I might add, does find Hamas guilty of war crimes as well) to hopefully bring legal action against the Israeli government. We're all people on this planet, and perhaps we should stand together to push back against our collective oppressors.

But, of course, Jean-Paul Sartre had a point when he said:

Terrorism is a terrible weapon but the oppressed poor have no others.

new topics

top topics

join