It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead snake with a foot found

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Dean Qiongxiu, 66, said she discovered the reptile clinging to the wall of her bedroom with its talons in the middle of the night.
“I woke up and heard a strange scratching sound. I turned on the light and saw this monster working its way along the wall using his claw,” said Mrs Duan of Suining, southwest China.
Mrs Duan said she was so scared she grabbed a shoe and beat the snake to death before preserving its body in a bottle of alcohol.
The snake – 16 inches long and the thickness of a little finger – is now being studied at the Life Sciences Department at China’s West Normal University in Nanchang.
Snake expert Long Shuai said: “It is truly shocking but we won’t know the cause until we’ve conducted an autopsy.”
A more common mutation among snakes is the growth of a second head, which occurs in a similar way to the formation of Siamese twins in humans.
Such animals are often caught and preserved as lucky tokens but have very little chance of surviving in the wild anyway, especially as the heads have a tendency to attack each other.

*snip*

Mod. Edit: Removed a link that contained nudity.

[edit on 1/19/2010 by seagull]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Here is a link to the story that does not contain nudity:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

And here is a link to ATS discussion on it:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Pretty freaky stuff!

EDIT: additional link to other strange animals:

dsc.discovery.com...

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I said it just a few days ago in the photosynthesis fish thread. Watch for much more of these bizarre mutated creatures being found in increasing numbers from here on out. Mankind has tainted the ecosystem, and it's all going to get much stranger this century.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
I said it just a few days ago in the photosynthesis fish thread. Watch for much more of these bizarre mutated creatures being found in increasing numbers from here on out. Mankind has tainted the ecosystem, and it's all going to get much stranger this century.

So true! It will mostly occur in countries that do not attempt to mitigate/stop environmental pollution....like China.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Looking at the lump in the area of the foot, I would say that the snake swallowed a lizard. The lizards sharp claws pushed through the side of the snake, allowing a leg to pop through. Just a theory, but look at the picture again, then think about it.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
most larger snakes have little spurs near the anal scale that are the vestiges of limbs but I have never seen one with an actual leg. Very strange. I wonder if it was simply genetics gone array or catalyzed by polution in the ecosystem?

Cheers

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Looking at the lump in the area of the foot, I would say that the snake swallowed a lizard. The lizards sharp claws pushed through the side of the snake, allowing a leg to pop through. Just a theory, but look at the picture again, then think about it.

The snake was using the claw to climb on the walls before it was killed. It's a vestigial limb...they occur on rare occasion...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by butcherguy

The snake was using the claw to climb on the walls before it was killed. It's a vestigial limb...they occur on rare occasion...
When I see the lump in the middle of the snake, I see something that it has fed on. Just looks like a possibility that it is a leg of a lizard. It would be interesting to see how agile the snake was using said limb to climb a wall. Most vestigial limbs are not articulated. A number of species of snakes have spurs used in mating that are thought to be the remains of limbs that disappeared on the evolutionary trip through time.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This foot didn't grow out of the snake, it was still attached to the lizard the snake ate. Not every meal goes down willingly.
I've watched a black rat snake swallow a big toad only to be torn apart by our dog. Covered in slime the toad hopped away to live another day.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebulldog
most larger snakes have little spurs near the anal scale that are the vestiges of limbs but I have never seen one with an actual leg. Very strange. I wonder if it was simply genetics gone array or catalyzed by polution in the ecosystem?

Cheers

Quite right, snakes do have spurs (for mating) however this foot is nowhere near the ass end of that snake.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
This foot didn't grow out of the snake, it was still attached to the lizard the snake ate. Not every meal goes down willingly.
I've watched a black rat snake swallow a big toad only to be torn apart by our dog. Covered in slime the toad hopped away to live another day.
Thanks, I was afraid that I was seeing things other people couldn't. I have seen photos of snakes whose prey was too large for them, even though they swallowed it, the stress split their sides open.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Here is a link to the story that does not contain nudity:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

And here is a link to ATS discussion on it:

Pretty freaky stuff!

EDIT: additional link to other strange animals:

dsc.discovery.com...

NICE!!! I like this kind of stuff!

LifENcircleS

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Stupid foot n snake.
2nd line.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

This came out in August of last year.

I would guess that it is either a genetic mishap (mutant) or the snake ate a lizard/crocodile whose leg pierced through the side of the animal.
The pic looks cool, but most of the time there is a reasonable explination.
Raist

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Obviously not if they are studying it in a science lab...

It is just a genetic mutation, but something would have triggered its mutation.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Sigh... So instead of trying to capture it without harming it, she decides to grab a shoe and beat it over the head with it. When will people learn to think before they act?
On topic, even though it is an old story, it still is pretty interesting. Just when you think you've seen everything, you find a snake with a foot crawling up your wall.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDragonLord
Sigh... So instead of trying to capture it without harming it, she decides to grab a shoe and beat it over the head with it. When will people learn to think before they act?
On topic, even though it is an old story, it still is pretty interesting. Just when you think you've seen everything, you find a snake with a foot crawling up your wall.

I'm sorry but if i saw a snake with a freaking foot - it's own or a foot of something it ate, i'd beat it to death too. That **** is messed up. gives me the heebie jeebies.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
That is just one big hernia after eating a lizard.

Why be upset with a lizard arm poking through? just use it to climb yeah!

Snakes are fast learners and not as dumb as humans in 2010...

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Jinni]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Its just a mutation. No different from when humans have kids with extra heads or with one eye. Sure it may seem feaky at first glance, but its just the way nature works. Its no reason to end its life. Not trying to be an @$$, just saying.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
i love how people still claim it is a "just a mutation" when the link to the previous thread discussing this came to the conclusion that the snake had swallowed the lizard. it may have appeared to be using the foot to climb, but how well could anything climb with one foot?

and yes, they have discovered snakes with tiny "legs", or places where legs used to be - so it could be some kind of reverse evolution, but bet is on it swallowed the lizard and the lizard poked a way out - the lizard might have still been alive and that is why it appeared that the snake was using the foot to climb.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join